Is the series victory so much more important than a test victory?

bunny

Umpteen times we've seen that captains try to secure a series victory instead of trying to win the test at hand. This is not a criticism of such thinking, but rather I want to know if most people think this way. Also, do you remember any captain going for a win regardless of the state of the series?

Complacency should never be indulged. It has a nasty habit of biting you hard when you least expect. Each game should be approached with a whole hearted effort. As long as that is present in the approach, series or test win will follow if deserved. It's how you play, not the result...the result mirrors your play.

Series victory is important. But at the same time, I think we should have declared early and tried to win this as well. We dint go for the 2-0 and instead settled for a 1-0 which is sad. With Dhoni, I expected more. I would have accepted it, if it was against Australia or a Pakistan (they are rivals anytime and we dont want to take risks of allowing them to draw the series). But against England, I think we should hve gone for the kill.

wat a dumb question....Series victory is very important !
I think the question was more aimed at, why can't there be a bigger hunger for 2-0 than just settling for a 1-0. Wouldn't it be better if we fought hard and still ended up with a 1-1 rather than going for a 1-0 tamely? I don't know but in this case, I don't think we had many options.
I think the question was more aimed at' date=' why can't there be a bigger hunger for 2-0 than just settling for a 1-0. Wouldn't it be better if we fought hard and still ended up with a 1-1 rather than going for a 1-0 tamely? I don't know but in this case, I don't think we had many options.[/quote'] We were 1-0 after the first test and draw or win ensured that we win the series,MSD opted for Draw.

test wins r important as well. its not a disgrace to lose trying to force a win. dull draws r boring. its time teams learnt to score at >5 rpo in tests considering that team score easily at 7 rpo in odis these days. drawing test is good for teams like west indies & nz, not for teams like india & sa who r aiming for no.1 spot and we should look to win test matches at all costs

WOrrying about series win at the cost of a test match win is poor' date=' we had a chance to win the 2nd test match, but we didn't have a real go at it, we should have scored faster on the 2nd day[/quote'] lets be realistic. had dhoni declare first thing in morning england would have needed 285 in little less than 60 overs. Eng would have gone all out for a win and i am sure we would have seen prior promoted to open the inning. A quick 50+ from prior at run a ball and India would have gone into defensive mode. A win at all cost sounds better after the match was drawn but not on 5th day morning
I think this si the reason why India can never be as good as Aus at theoir peak. Aus always used to go for a whitewash even at the risk of losing
Australia lost quite a few dead rubbers, but like most teams, they were quite conservative when it comes to protecting their lead in a deciding test match.