That test match..

SachDan

Which is that one test match where Team India disappointed you the most?? left cursing yourself for being an Indian cricket fan ?? Obvoiusly Sydney was a big disappointment.But there we had no chance of winning by the end of day-4. For me Barbados test against West Indies was the heartbreaking one.By the end of day-3 it seemed there's only one team with a chance of winning notwithstanding 'Ambrose factor' and how he and Walsh bundled out poor Poms for 46 runs chasing 193 for victory at POS three years back! Other bowlers for WI in that series... Rose,who made a sensational debut.Merv Dillon too was spotted as future prospect and Ian Bishop,duplicate 'whispering death'.Walsh was not playing in this particular test. Two geniuses capaining their sides with Lara making his debut as test captain.WI batting first scored close to 300 with a typical Chanderpaul century.India went past 300 with a gritty half century by Dravid and Sachin pulling and hooking his way to 92 on a pacy Barbados pitch.In the second innings,Kuruvila's 5-fer helped India to restrict WI to just 140!! Day-4 Here was India's day of reckoning..with 10 wickets in hand and needing just 120 for a famous victory.. easy chance to win a test series in WI since 1971 !! What happened from there on was complete mayhem!! no resistence wat so ever.Batsmen after batsmen capitulating in meek fashion.In a span of 35 overs WI were home and dry :((:((:(( Only consolation was that no need to stay awake till 2.30am unlike other days! No wonder Sachin still rates that Barbados test as the most disappointing match he ever played :(( http://gulf.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1996-97/IND_IN_WI/IND_WI_T3_27-31MAR1997.html
only 3 bowlers used for 45 overs in the second innings...that's pretty amazing. What was Ganesh doing in the side in the first place?
:cantstop::cantstop: Srinath was injured hence he couldn't make the trip to WI.David Johnson,'The Pace Ace':giggle: was a complete flop in SA.So our next best bet was Dodda :hysterical: That very much tells you about the sad state of pace bowling in India that time.
I was there :((
In the stadium?? I planned my vacation to India to coincide with this test series, couple of my friends who are in India took off and we were all marooned at my place just like my college days. End of this test it was like a funeral home with none of us able to talk or even look at each other. Essentially made me disillusioned with the Indian team for 2 years.
]In the stadium?? I planned my vacation to India to coincide with this test series' date= couple of my friends who are in India took off and we were all marooned at my place just like my college days. End of this test it was like a funeral home with none of us able to talk or even look at each other. Essentially made me disillusioned with the Indian team for 2 years.
Yep..as you said result was very disappointing.Viru's double was entertaining as usual and that one famous incident involving Zaheer and that pretty girl among the crowd gave some entertaining moments!

cannot say just one. in Pak (Karachi?) - after Irfan Pathan took hattrick and we screwed up the match big time. Blore - vs Pak Chennai - vs Pak (SRT in vain) Mumbai - vs Eng ... Sydney vs Aus - I felt good abt the Indian team. It was tragic towards the end, but it was Benson and Bucknor - else we had the match in the bag. Except on day-5 towards the end, maybe the tail could have batted better. But darn umpires! WE NEED THE TECHNOLOGY for UMPIRING!

chennai 1999..i was in a state of shock that entire week and Sachins dismissal kept replaying in my mind..i still cant forget how Srinath got out..the ball rolling onto the stumps in-btw his legs and he was watching that ball roll on to the stumps..aargh it cud have been the greatest match winning knock :((

Bangalore '87.
Sunil Gavaskar :hail: Recounting one article on that: 2005032401480401.jpg March 17, 1987 SUNIL GAVASKAR has long faded as an active cricketer. But can his batting mastery be dislodged from the collective consciousness of Indian cricket? The beauty of cricket, Keith Miller once thundered, is that its future lies so much in its past. There is this strange chemistry between a visiting Pakistan side, a test match at the Chinnaswamy Stadium, and Sunil Gavaskar. Inzy himself was barely 17 when this epic of a test match was played here in Bangalore nearly 18 years ago. To this day the tantalising moments of that glorious final day is etched in the memories of all those who happened to take more than passing interest in that startling climax of a Pakistan victory and Gavaskar's unforgettable bow from test cricket. What a day, March 17, 1987! As one Pakistan cricket official who accompanied Imran Khan's team on the tour of India so heartily recalled: "Somehow, Bangalore has been a place of great hope and comfort for Pakistani cricketers." It was in Bangalore that Imran Khan managed to break free from a 34-year jinx spread over 11 successive draws in five visits since its first triumph way back in 1952. Pakistan's second series victory had seemed almost a pipe dream when on the opening day, the side had been shot out for its lowest ever test total of 116. Remember Maninder Singh of the tied test fame? He was in his element on the opening day of that memorable test. His 13-ball spell cost Pakistan four wickets and the side was, literally, on all fours. Great test matches are always built around such adversities. Salim Malik sparkled for a while in that miserly Pakistan total. But little did India realise when taking its own first strike that two innocuous sounding and looking spinners would prove so deadly in tandem. Left arm spinner Iqbal Qasim and off spinner Tausif Ahmed tormented the Indian batting no end. India's response: a gingerly 145. Sheer grit and nothing else brought Vengsarkar his 50. The test had turned on its head. Orthodoxy had never been Rameez Raja's hallmark. He had his own unconventional methods and a near half-century from him left the middle order breathing more freely. Down the line, Salim Malik came up with yet another polished innings. Imran, the bat, this time swung a couple of good ones over the line. Momentarily it broke the Indian bowling rhythm while netting some useful runs for Pakistan. Iqbal Qasim's dour 26 was another crucial contribution. The victory target of 221 seemed well within India's means, provided the pitch stayed a friend and not a foe. Then Wasim Akram struck two lethal blows — Srikkanth and Mohinder Amarnath were out. Imran Khan wisely kept himself out on a wicket crumbling fast; he deftly thrust in Iqbal Qasim and Tausif. For the rest of the way, the contest was purely Sunil Gavaskar vs. Pakistan. 2005032401480402.jpg With a treacherous wicket and the spin duo giving nothing away, fielders prancing around like a pack of hungry wolves, and partners betraying him at regular intervals, Gavaskar got down to play the Innings of his life. Perhaps this was easily one of the most determined batting efforts ever made by any batsman in the history of test cricket. Briefly, Azharuddin raised visions of an Indian victory before Qasim lured him into one of those half-hearted drives for an expected caught and bowled. Amid growing tension on the pitch and in the stands, Roger Binny walked in, worked the ball around to pick up a few quick runs and allowed his exuberance to get the better of him. What if Binny had showed more "restraint"? That remains forever a famous "if". Gavaskar was no doubt the last frontier. Deservedly Qasim brought the great resistance to an end at 96. The next best on the score sheet: Mr. Extras at 27. Pakistan's winning margin a slender 16 runs. What a way to go after 323 minutes of impeccable technique and a steely temperament on a minefield of a wicket, turn often vicious and bounce wicked. When he hung out his bat in acknowledgement for a great ovation, Gavaskar had left behind an imperial batting legacy. Most matches (125), most consecutive matches (106), most innings (214), most runs (10,122), most hundreds (34), most scores of 50 or more (79), and most hundred partnerships (58). Pakistan won the test and the series, but Gavaskar batting immortality.

Every game India loses is a hard one to move away from. If we gave a very good fight but the opposition ended up winning by a very small margin, I often feel that I shouldn't feel too bad because we gave a very good fight. But it also hurts that we were very close and that valiant effort deserved a win. The games where we play pathetically from the word go are also very hard to digest because it feels at that moment that we're much more talented than the effort/result shows (most recent example being 76 a/o against SA at home). Its a conundrum for me about when to feel really terrible. But as far as answering the question with a single match is concerned, I'd say the recent test matches in Sri Lanka, especially the 1st one.

Haha. I will agree that Test Match is great and all. I still think the shorter formats are good as well. You have to compete over 5 days for the Test Match - which makes it harder and I guess more fun. But 50-over cricket offers its share of entertainment. It still lets you build an innings well, organize a run-chase well, gives an opportunity for a good spell by the bowlers, etc. I like it.