Smith : From pariah to messiah

DomainK

credit where it's due: was a very brave thing smith did today, kudos to him and his team for the series win. Although both teams played some good cricket SA were the ones who pulled out the gutsy performances when it matteres the most and deserved the series one. That being said i also think the Aussies deserve some praise for the way they bounced back in this test considering the amount of young fresh faces in the team... and good to see Ponting being gracious in defeat.

If you like such displays of bravado .... watch Mohinder Amarnath against WI ... Also Kapil Dev running through the Aussies at MCG circa 1981 with a pain killer. Its much much harder to bowl in severe pain than bat.
one in hindu read that, by the time kapil completed his 9 for 83 in windies 2nd innings in 83-84 series in ahmedabad if i am correct, his knee was swollen to the size of a musk melon( Hindu cricket correspondent R.Mohan wrote it ). in that MCG 1981 effort, it is pertinent to note that even Dilip Doshi had injury problems in his foot.he also took pain killers. he has told this in a recent interview in Cricinfo. Anil Kumble bowling woth a broken, bandaged jaw and picking Lara's wicket was also great.

oh man it was unreal!!! i thot it was all over n then i see smith confidently strolling out.my respect for him increased manifolds.he'll remain one of my fav.players.hope young overrated indian players learn from him wat courage is:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:one man even pulled out of a test series due to 'fatigue' n yet hes the toast of the nation n people call him' captain courageous':angry_smile: just for his sake i was hoping they pull it off.but it wasnt to be:((

If you like such displays of bravado .... watch Mohinder Amarnath against WI ... Also Kapil Dev running through the Aussies at MCG circa 1981 with a pain killer. Its much much harder to bowl in severe pain than bat.
x2 Jumbo was mentioned here already, Boss also battled very potent pak attack with a bad back, Boss scored the highest in WC03 with injuries, he had to take painkillers before every match and read it somewhere that it was so bad that he couldn't even hold a cup comfortably. This was a surprise for me, thought it was done and dusted when 8th wkt fell, very brave of Smith, almost denied the OZs what should've been an easy win.

Didn't Tendulkar have a broken bone in one of his toes right through the World Cup, and get surgery on it right after? Either way, phenomenal effort from Smith. My respect for the man increases each game. May not have matched his contributions w/ the bat from the past 2 tests, but damnit this man has a will of iron and leads by example.