Team for SRL ODIs

Lord

only reason he played last time was because no sachin and injured sehwag.. he is the one for the future for sure..but not right now..
its tough to choose 2 out of 3 (2 out of Raina, Rohit Sharma and VK). But VK shud have been slightly ahead of either Rohit or Raina, based on the guts and skill he showed in tackling Mendis in last series. Or if all 3 have to go to SL, then Sachin could have opted (or requested) to rest - he can be fresh for NZ series (Tests) which is crucial series.

People are under-estimating Irfan. He still has a lot to offer, both in terms of his bowling and batting. Dont forget he was once the crown jewel of our ODI team, regularly taking important top-order wickets and scoring some quick runs coming in at no.3 not so long ago. And he's also one of the few Indian bowlers who knows how to bowl well at the death. Its hard for me to back up my claims with numbers, but he has rarely gotten belted around with disdain in the slog overs.

its tough to choose 2 out of 3 (2 out of Raina, Rohit Sharma and VK). But VK shud have been slightly ahead of either Rohit or Raina, based on the guts and skill he showed in tackling Mendis in last series. Or if all 3 have to go to SL, then Sachin could have opted (or requested) to rest - he can be fresh for NZ series (Tests) which is crucial series.
Sachin can never ask for rest, because he knows what will follow after his request. He rather be a work-horse and score selfish 50's in ODI's than opting out. In all seriousness, how could any of our players ask for rest when they got a good decent amount of rest for about a month. They had to participate in this series to actually 'warm up' (not degrading SL attack) for the NZ series as our players won't be playing any competitive series before they tour NZ. Moreover, our players are already denied a warm up game in NZ.

So does this mean Kohli doesnt have the backing of the captain? Either he doesnt figure in the scheme of things for India in the ODIs from the selector or the captain's point of view. From what I've seen of him and his records seem to indicate that he is much better player of test cricket than the shorter versions. Perhaps, its premature to judge a player but that's what my gut feeling says and I would be happy to be proven wrong ofcouse.

Virat Kohli is surely the unlucky one to miss the boat. I still do not understand what Yousuf is doing in the team when Ravindra Jadeja (an all-rounder) is already picked in the squad. Yousuf's bowling is abysmal and his batting is more like miss and hit. I really thought Virat would strengthen our middle order because UV is our biggest concern in the MO in the current line up (hopefully I am wrong :pray:). To sum up, this squad would have been better if Virat was picked at the expense of Yousuf Pathan. Nonetheless, lets hope Yousuf hits more to Mendis than missing :nervous:
wth are you talking about... Yousuf is a genuine matchwinner!!!!!... forgot his last match where he got to bat... ppl think it was Watson who took R.Royals to IPL championship but in my opnion it was Y. Pathan... the guy is a monster and can change the outlook of the match anytime... and regarding his bowling, he is premier/strike spinner for Baroda which is one of elite teams in Ranji... if proper chances are given to Y.Pathan, he will be the one to Look out for in future... http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indveng/engine/match/361044.html
wth are you talking about... Yousuf is a genuine matchwinner!!!!!... forgot his last match where he got to bat... ppl think it was Watson who took R.Royals to IPL championship but in my opnion it was Y. Pathan... the guy is a monster and can change the outlook of the match anytime... and regarding his bowling, he is premier/strike spinner for Baroda which is one of elite teams in Ranji... if proper chances are given to Y.Pathan, he will be the one to Look out for in future... http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indveng/engine/match/361044.html
Had you bolded my post further you would have understood what I said. Yusuf pathan got his ars3 handed to him when he bowled against England in each and every game. He went for 83 runs in 8 overs that he bowled throughout the series and picked up 2 tailenders wicket and 1 wicket of Freddie. So my point of him being useless as a bowler stands firm. The reason why I am critical about Y.Pathan's selection for SL tour is because Y.Pathan will find it hard to get going against Mendis and that will further create holes in our MO (given that Yuvi is Mendis' bunny atm).
my team for the 1st game- sachin sehwag GG raina yuvraj bunny singh jadeja yosuf dhoni zaheer ishanth munaf lankans have no chance.
:cantstop: The guy has to prove that he can overcome being BAWed by Mendis and Chucklitharan BTW - blue brigade - when you mentioned SRT has had a lot of rest etc. since Eng tour, you are forgetting the Ranji semis and finals.
Really? Who was the guy who opened in Australia and bowled beautifully as well to get man of the match and before that scored a century in India? He looked a lot like Irfan.
as i said in an thread earlier a genuine all-rounder is one who can be picked in a team either for his batting or bowling.jadeja has that potential.we need someone like him in the subcontinent.pathan is not very effective all-rounder here.
Had you bolded my post further you would have understood what I said. Yusuf pathan got his ars3 handed to him when he bowled against England in each and every game. He went for 83 runs in 8 overs that he bowled throughout the series and picked up 2 tailenders wicket and 1 wicket of Freddie. So my point of him being useless as a bowler stands firm. The reason why I am critical about Y.Pathan's selection for SL tour is because Y.Pathan will find it hard to get going against Mendis and that will further create holes in our MO (given that Yuvi is Mendis' bunny atm).
Just coz Y.Pathan can hit sixes and score fastly, he is not technical player and will find hard to find against Mendis..thats ur ideology????...... bro, just to let you its unorthodox batsmen like Sehwag, Dhoni who played better agains Mendis then your socalled technical players ala Dravid, Rohit.... what makes you think that Y.Pathan wont play well against Mendis.. for R.Royals, he smacked all the international bowlers to pieces... and take my word,""" Yousuf will FAAADOFFYYY Mendis!!!!!!!!!""
:cantstop: The guy has to prove that he can overcome being BAWed by Mendis and Chucklitharan BTW - blue brigade - when you mentioned SRT has had a lot of rest etc. since Eng tour, you are forgetting the Ranji semis and finals.
He did alright against chucklitharan. Chucky dismissed yuvi only 3 times out of 31 ODIs. Infact yuvi did well in tests against murali & co in 2005-06 and played couple of crucial innings. Yes, mendis owns him. Yuvi struggles against those bowlers who are quick through the air and have bit of variation. Remember hodge?
He did alright against chucklitharan. Chucky dismissed yuvi only 3 times out of 31 ODIs. Infact yuvi did well in tests against murali & co in 2005-06 and played couple of crucial innings. Yes' date=' mendis owns him. Yuvi struggles against those bowlers who are quick through the air and have bit of variation. Remember [b']hogg?
Fixed. And you are right about him struggling against spinners would are quicker through air

zaheer and ishant, either of the two should be drafted in the playing 11 we must not burden them with spearheading the indian attack match after match they should be played alternatively give the likes of munaf, praveen or irfan to play quite a while since i saw them make a bold move play the pathan brothers if the morkel brothers or hussey brothers can play together, so can our desi pathans

Guys seriously ... people are becoming less creative with their nicknames now ... before it used to be Chuck-thar (that was quite funny) ... then we had Pwn-ting (also funny) ... Draw-id (yeah not too bad) ... Yuseless Singh (less creative but yeah I'll pay that) ... but like srsly ... "Chucklitharan" ???? WTH?? We're replacing "Murali" with "Chuck" ??? LOL ... wth? Thats not the same starting letter, same number of syllables, doesnt rhyme or even roll off the tongue. Come on guys ... if this is the quality of the nicknames we are coming up with then I think we need some serious work !!!

Great squad..with Harbhajan injured' date=it increases the likelihood of Jadeja/Ojha getting a game.
but how did bhajji get injured?selectors gotta explain that.last time he played,he looked fit as a fiddle.so why is he suddenly injured.? PK was one who looked unfit in ranji finals n selectors picked him:haha:
What a shock that Sreesanth didn't make it. Hopefully this means we'll get to see him in dance show again now!!!
I think selectors want him to be match fit before NZ tour and also want to see his form in the longer format, with tests in NZ in mind.: LINK Saurashtra allrounder Jadeja, No.6 among run-getters and No.2 on the bowlers’ list in the just-ended Ranji Trophy, has come in for Harbhajan Singh. The offie has a hamstring injury. Jadeja, 20, would almost surely have been heading to Sri Lanka even if Harbhajan was fit. He would, in all probability, then have been in the squad at the expense of Pragyan Ojha, a left-armer like him. UP medium-pacer Kumar had a pedestrian Ranji Trophy, managing only 18 wickets in seven matches, but he has a good record in ODIs. That worked in the 22-year-old’s favour, whose last India appearance had been in Colombo, five months ago. Krishnamachari Srikkanth and his colleagues have, in fact, chosen five medium-pacers. That’s because spearheads Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma need to be fielded judiciously. Zaheer and Ishant’s workload has to be monitored, or else we may have a major problem with their fitness. As expected, young Virat Kohli has had to miss the tour, otherwise a fifth medium-pacer couldn’t have been accommodated. Irfan Pathan and Munaf Patel complete the quintet. Rudra Pratap Singh, meanwhile, has informed the selectors that he intends undergoing rehab at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore. In the just-ended Ranji Trophy final, he’d bowled only four overs in the second innings. “RP has withdrawn from the Duleep Trophy and his place (in the Central squad) has gone to the promising Bhuvneswar Kumar. A replacement will also be named for (Praveen) Kumar,†said a source. Srikkanth and Co., one learns, will (among others) be closely watching Ajinkya Rahane, Cheteshwar Pujara, Dhawal Kulkarni and Bhuvneswar in the soon-to-begin Duleep Trophy. The likes of Lakshmipathy Balaji (who was briefly discussed on Sunday) and Sreesanth as well.

too much quota in selection again. y is rohit sharma picked ahead of virat kohli, pujara & badrinath??? rohit sharma who has been a proven failure at intl level avging only 24 in odis has been picked whereas kohli who was a huge success in the last sl tour hasnt been picked. and badrinath was dropped after being given only 2-3 chances and murali vijay was dropped from the team without playing a single odi. but the proven failure gets selected again & again as for others, not a bad team but there should have been someone else instead of rohit sharma