I always knew I'd play for India: Amit Mishra

Feed

With Anil Kumble calling it a day, Amit Mishra is all set to prove his utility as a leg-spinner. More... I always knew I'd play for India: Amit Mishra Garima Bharti (CricketNDTV.com)16:53 IST, Tuesday, January 20, 2009 (New Delhi) It took him five long years to come back into the side, only this time he was more determined and consistent. With Anil Kumble calling it a day, Amit Mishra is all set to prove his utility as a leg-spinner. In an exclusive interview with Cricket NDTV.com, Mishra talks about his journey and his future plans. amit-mishra.jpgYou made your international debut in 2003 where you played two ODIs. Now you are back in the team after five years. What took you so long? That's one answer that I am still trying to figure out. I didn't understand why I was not picked as I was quite consistent in domestic cricket. Nobody ever told me the reason why I was dropped. Do you think the presence of Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh made it difficult for other spinners to find a place in the side? But Anil Bhai had retired from the one-dayers soon after the 2003 World Cup. After his retirement, other spinners were preferred and I was overlooked. I don't blame the players but it hurt when my performance and consistency got ignored for that long. You started your career with Delhi, but then you shifted to Haryana. Why? In Delhi, my performance was often ignored during the trials. And the feedback that I used to get were very discouraging. They would call me overweight, unfit, whereas I knew I was match-fit. So do you think political support is required to get a break in the domestic circuit? I don't know what could be the reason but yes many bright players don't get the right break at the right time. Selectors should give opportunities and back them. Did you always want to be a cricketer? I loved to play this game. I grew up in a big family with just one earning member (my father). So what drove me to professional cricket was that if I played good competitive cricket at state level then I might get a good job. I needed it to support my family. You were always confident of yourself because in such a huge pool of talent you knew you would make it big. I was not very sure of myself in the beginning. But after I played successfully for a couple of years and became a recognised name in the circuit, I became confident. I knew I could play for India someday. But after I got dropped from the team in 2003, I made a promise to myself that I will make a comeback however long does it take. I was determined that I would not quit cricket till I played for India again. How did you keep yourself motivated for such a long time? That was the toughest time of my career. I worked really hard on my physical as well as mental fitness. I could not see any reason why I could not play for India. I was no less talented than anybody. My performance was consistent. Do you think that period changed you in any way? Definitely, I have changed a lot as a human being. I was very aggressive when I started and never thought twice before venting out my anger. But those five years taught me to be patient. I learnt I couldn't control everything. You will have to take criticism in the right spirit and keep working hard. In the hindsight, I feel it was a great learning experience that changed my perception towards life. And has your recent success changed people's attitude towards you? Yes! Now people know me. Now they listen to whatever I say. You think despite your good performance in Tests, ODI comeback is still a far-fetched dream? No, I am hopeful that I will make a comeback. My job is to keep working hard. Your maiden series saw the retirement of two stalwarts - Anil Kumble and Sourav Ganguly. What was the mood in the dressing room? It was really an emotional moment. Anil Bhai's retirement was a shock for all of us as it was a sudden declaration. I thought he could have played for another 2-3 years. I wanted to learn so much from him. Nobody can ever fill his shoes. He was too great a player to be replaced but he never got the adulation he truly deserved. He was so approachable, always ready to help and guide the youngsters. During the over breaks in the Test match against Australia, he would come to me and give advices which often gave results. Even Dada was very encouraging. During the Australia series, you played under two captains. How different was that? Seriously I couldn't make out the difference. The only thing was I looked up to Anil Bhai more as an idol. But both Anil Bhai and Mahi were very positive and aggressive. They were very good. Dhoni looks very cool but he's very aggressive. How was your IPL experience? It was a great experience. You get to play alongside great international cricketers and share the dressing room with them. As you look at them, you learn so much. They bring their own approach, strategy and style into the game, which is a great lesson for any budding cricketer. And I owe my comeback to it. What are your future plans? Nothing grand really. I just want to play as much cricket as possible, work on my fitness and keep things simple.

Do you think the presence of Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh made it difficult for other spinners to find a place in the side? But Anil Bhai had retired from the one-dayers soon after the 2003 World Cup. After his retirement, other spinners were preferred and I was overlooked. I don't blame the players but it hurt when my performance and consistency got ignored for that long. Somebody tell him Kumble played WC07

Do you think the presence of Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh made it difficult for other spinners to find a place in the side? But Anil Bhai had retired from the one-dayers soon after the 2003 World Cup. After his retirement, other spinners were preferred and I was overlooked. I don't blame the players but it hurt when my performance and consistency got ignored for that long. Somebody tell him Kumble played WC07
Yeah, played, but hardly ever selected. So Mishra's point stands.
Yeah' date=' played, but hardly ever selected. So Mishra's point stands.[/quote'] no, it doesnt.retired is very different than not selected.atleast kumble was available for selection.it means wen we needed to play two spinners kumble would come in.so mishra wasnt considered rightfully
no' date=' it doesnt.retired is very different than not selected.atleast kumble was available for selection.it means wen we needed to play two spinners kumble would come in.so mishra wasnt considered [b']rightfully
AK was never a good ODI bowler (at least not since 2000). India desperately needed to look beyond AK in ODI's but selectors got their foots stuck in quicksand when it came to selecting AK in ODI's. Even today, we are lacking a quality ODI spinner in our team.
AK was never a good ODI bowler (at least not since 2000). India desperately needed to look beyond AK in ODI's but selectors got their foots stuck in quicksand when it came to selecting AK in ODI's. Even today' date=' we are lacking a quality ODI spinner in our team.[/quote'] dunno wat u r talking? AK is our highest wicket taker in odis.a man with 312 ODI wickets at an econ of under 5 isnt a good ODI bowler? he was dropped coz we couldnt play two spinners at all times n bhajji was a much better bet coz of his fielding n batting. ganguly still repents not playing AK in world cup final 2003.
AK was never a good ODI bowler (at least not since 2000). India desperately needed to look beyond AK in ODI's but selectors got their foots stuck in quicksand when it came to selecting AK in ODI's. Even today' date= we are lacking a quality ODI spinner in our team.
dunno wat u r talking? AK is our highest wicket taker in odis.a man with 312 ODI wickets at an econ of under 5 isnt a good ODI bowler? he was dropped coz we couldnt play two spinners at all times n bhajji was a much better bet coz of his fielding n batting. ganguly still repents not playing AK in world cup final 2003.
http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/30176.html?class=2;spanmin1=01+Jan+2000;spanval1=span;template=results;type=bowling Do check out his stats against non-minnows.
as usual stats dont tell us all.they r still decent stats considering he was in & out of the side often.any bowler in that would have worse figures.atleast he has economy down.he wasnt the same bowler as before,but he was certainly not bad.
AK was never a good ODI bowler (at least not since 2000). India desperately needed to look beyond AK in ODI's but selectors got their foots stuck in quicksand when it came to selecting AK in ODI's. Even today' date=' we are lacking a quality ODI spinner in our team.[/quote'] harbhajans not that bad in odis though. Economical and gets some wickets. Only in tests hes *****.
harbhajans not that bad in odis though. Economical and gets some wickets. Only in tests hes *****.
Yes, Bhajji's true strength is in his ODI performances. He knows how to bowl for the one day format by being aggressive with his deliveries and he give a lot of strength to the tail.