Guess who's the #1 all rounder in the world?

Sachinism

not if he gets spanked around the subcontinent where we play the majority of our matches.
What like Dale Steyn, Morkel, Lee all got spanked around in the continent? At least Pathan has some great performances when the conditions were suitable like how he got the hat trick against Pak. I don't see the point in criticising a swing bowler when he doesn't do great on flat pitches with no swing. What would be more pertinent is if Pathan sucked when there was swing on offer but that hasn't really happened all that much. Whenever there were swinging conditions he made the most of it and that's pretty much all you can ask.
What like Dale Steyn, Morkel, Lee all got spanked around in the continent? At least Pathan has some great performances when the conditions were suitable like how he got the hat trick against Pak. I don't see the point in criticising a swing bowler when he doesn't do great on flat pitches with no swing. What would be more pertinent is if Pathan sucked when there was swing on offer but that hasn't really happened all that much. Whenever there were swinging conditions he made the most of it and that's pretty much all you can ask.
So why dont we apply that to batsmen, spinners, everyone else? Look at only how batsmen perform on flat tracks, look at how spinners perform but only on raging turners. The true test of any player is if they can perform in the toughest conditions. Sreesanth for example, can swing the ball where most simply cant. Look at the highlights of the Ind-SA series. Thats talent. Its another thing that he cant stop behaving like a monkey with a dildo but thats another thing. Pathan is cannon fodder in conditions where the ball doesnt swing as much as he likes. And as for Morkel and Steyn, look up the whole Indian inning in the Chennai test. Morkel was running in, bowling 150 + kmph, getting the deliveries to bounce, reverse swing, etc. He was actually beating the bat of Sehwag who was on 150 and all this on that Chennai wicket. And as for Steyn, he averaged 20 on the tour. That says something. Pathan is just a slower version of Lee. Pathan swings it a bit more, Lee is quicker.But neither of them are any good when the going gets tough. And as for Shakib, I honestly didnt expect such a bowler to develop into what he has. The amazing thing is he has a round arm, slingy action but can still get turn and bite off an unresponsive surface. Of course, his arm ball is amazing as you would expect from that action. Even then, its amazing that he toured South Africa and New Zealand and averaged just above 20 in both those series. Thats a whole lot better than any of our bowlers in those two countries. Easily the best left arm spinner going around atm.
So why dont we apply that to batsmen, spinners, everyone else? Look at only how batsmen perform on flat tracks, look at how spinners perform but only on raging turners. The true test of any player is if they can perform in the toughest conditions. Sreesanth for example, can swing the ball where most simply cant. Look at the highlights of the Ind-SA series. Thats talent. Its another thing that he cant stop behaving like a monkey with a dildo but thats another thing. Pathan is cannon fodder in conditions where the ball doesnt swing as much as he likes. And as for Morkel and Steyn, look up the whole Indian inning in the Chennai test. Morkel was running in, bowling 150 + kmph, getting the deliveries to bounce, reverse swing, etc. He was actually beating the bat of Sehwag who was on 150 and all this on that Chennai wicket. And as for Steyn, he averaged 20 on the tour. That says something.
I do apply it to other batsmen/spinner etc. I just recognize that there is a difference between genuine, class talent and just good cricketers. Pathan isn't the former but the latter for better or for worse. But cricket isn't won because you have 11 all world genuince class talents, just a core of those kind of players and good cricketers surrounding that core.
Pathan is just a slower version of Lee. Pathan swings it a bit more, Lee is quicker.But neither of them are any good when the going gets tough.
I agree with that.
I do apply it to other batsmen/spinner etc. I just recognize that there is a difference between genuine' date=' class talent and just good cricketers. Pathan isn't the former but the latter for better or for worse.[/quote']Completely agreed.
But cricket isn't won because you have 11 all world genuince class talents, just a core of those kind of players and good cricketers surrounding that core.
See, this might be true in say England, South Africa or New Zealand where the third seamer can be a bit modest and cant move the ball much. But think about this, you're in a situation where you've held the opposition up with the old, reverse swinging ball, bowling on the off side with a 7-2 or an 8-1 field with Zaheer and Ishant bowling 8-10 overs each. Who would you rather bowl after this: Pathan, who isnt that quick or someone like Munaf or Sreesanth who are pacy(ish) and can genuinely move the ball?
See, this might be true in say England, South Africa or New Zealand where the third seamer can be a bit modest and cant move the ball much. But think about this, you're in a situation where you've held the opposition up with the old, reverse swinging ball, bowling on the off side with a 7-2 or an 8-1 field with Zaheer and Ishant bowling 8-10 overs each. Who would you rather bowl after this: Pathan, who isnt that quick or someone like Munaf or Sreesanth who are pacy(ish) and can genuinely move the ball?
Nobody knows. The way these three have been up and down, with form, with injuries, on the dance floor no one has any idea what these guys are going to do. Would anyone be surprised if Pathan comes on, bowls with a ton of swing or he bowl loose wide deliveries and tries too much variation? Or if Munaf comes on to bowl, gets injured and his fielding sucks? Or if Sreesanth bowls two great overs, then starts dancing and changes his run up and completely looses form? The only consistent thing with these guys is that you can't rely on them. But you're question deserves an answer so I would say either Patel or Pathan simply because they are kind of in form at the moment while Sreesanth hasn't played much cricket and is only getting fit now.