The real winning streak (No Zim, No B'desh, No East Timor..)

Shane

Didn't the Indian team of 2004/5 also set a world record for successful consecutive run chases? Srinath had retired and we had Nehra/Agarkar who gifted away runs but our batting allowed us to win 15 run chases in a row?
That was 2005/06. Nehra was out of the team by then. Irfan and Agarkar were superb that season.
Didn't the Indian team of 2004/5 also set a world record for successful consecutive run chases? Srinath had retired and we had Nehra/Agarkar who gifted away runs but our batting allowed us to win 15 run chases in a row?
But I guess inbetween all that we must have lost games batting 1st

the world cup streak was much better than the current streak..we got to face different opponents and that too in pressure situations..so i wud rate that higher than the current record..well ofcourse if we continue to win the next 8 matches then we are talking abt something totally different :D

I believe the Netherlands game isn't counted in the winning streak, because it was followed by the asskicking we got from Australia in the group stages. The actual streak itself was very respectable - Kenya was playing very well then and in the super six the feat of chasing a total under lights against their swingers was very impressive. The manner in which we beat NZ, England and especially Sri Lanka (who got totally slaughtered by our quicks) was phenomenal. And of course there was the Pakistan victory. A seriously amazing streak - our team was amazing to watch then with the surreal form Tendulkar was in, and the way our pacemen were blasting through most teams (Nehra killed England single handedly, Zaheer was amazing v. the NZ top order and it was brilliant to see EVERYONE firing on all cylinders and demolishing SL - one of my favourite sights of that tourney).
I think none of us can remeber that 8 match win steak in '85 in Australia in the B&H cup where we were undefeated throughout the tourney. I've read about it in Gavaskar's 'One Day Wonders'. It was a magical trip supposedly for Shastri and L Shiva. I wish those matches are shown now so that we can see what exactly happened then.

^ I think Gavaskar's "One Day Wonders" is a wonderful book on the B&H series......I must have read it at least 10 times and found it much more thrilling than Sunny Days, perhaps because he knew he was in the last leg of his career and could express himself without many inhibitions. An interesting fact - during the entire tournament, no team was able to bowl India out and India always managed to bowl the opposition out except in the Final where Pakistan managed to survive with 9 wickets down. There is a wonderful picture in the book with the caption, "Azhar back cuts Akram - stars of the future" - prophetic! But, the entire tournament was 5 matches long for India, so I don't think we could have established a record there.

WC streak was even better, especially given the stage and how we got hammered by Australia and lost in NZ in the series preceeding to it. But with the current, you'll have a lot more these streaks more often. This team's DNA is built for limited overs cricket.