The real winning streak (No Zim, No B'desh, No East Timor..)

Shane

Who cares ? These are victories against sub standard opposition. Sri Lanka found it hard to beat Bangeedesh and Zimbabwe, so they were always going to find it hard against one of the best one day teams in the world. Yes, they did smash the inbreds from across the border, but that says more about the pitiful state of paki cricket than it does about the strength of the Sri Lankan cricket team. The 8 straight wins in the '03 World Cup were far more impressive. Wake me up when India are playing in NZ. Playing these crappy subcontinent sides is a waste of time

Who cares ? These are victories against sub standard opposition. Sri Lanka found it hard to beat Bangeedesh and Zimbabwe, so they were always going to find it hard against one of the best one day teams in the world. Yes, they did smash the inbreds from across the border, but that says more about the pitiful state of paki cricket than it does about the strength of the Sri Lankan cricket team. The 8 straight wins in the '03 World Cup were far more impressive. Wake me up when India are playing in NZ. Playing these crappy subcontinent sides is a waste of time
Are you serious man? Didn't we play teams like the Netherlands in the WC 03? Although I do agree that after groups stage India went on a rampage and owned teams like Pak/NZ etc which was very impressive. But I think playing in Sri Lanka is tough. It's been a virtual fortress and near impossible to beat them at home. That fact that we did it in three consecutive matches shows the balance in the ODI side. For the record though, I do agree that it's the WC that has to count.
Are you serious man? Didn't we play teams like the Netherlands in the WC 03? Although I do agree that after groups stage India went on a rampage and owned teams like Pak/NZ etc which was very impressive. But I think playing in Sri Lanka is tough. It's been a virtual fortress and near impossible to beat them at home. That fact that we did it in three consecutive matches shows the balance in the ODI side. For the record though, I do agree that it's the WC that has to count.
The win over Holland wasn't part of that winning streak. I know how hard it is to win in SL. Remember the '05 Indian Oil Cup when India played out of their skins but stil lost 3 matches to Sri Lanka. That was a different Sri Lankan side though. In the last few months Sri Lanka have been stuck in a rut, and the gulf in class between the two sides is very big now that the Indians have figured out Mendis. Guys like Kulasekara and Maharoof have always been cannon fodder for India's batsmen. Murali hasn't done much against India in recent years, for that matter. Their batting lineup is too dependent on Jayasuriya at top of the order and Sangakkara in the middle order. With Jayawardene hopelessly out of form, this dependency has increased.
Are you serious man? Didn't we play teams like the Netherlands in the WC 03?
I believe the Netherlands game isn't counted in the winning streak, because it was followed by the asskicking we got from Australia in the group stages. The actual streak itself was very respectable - Kenya was playing very well then and in the super six the feat of chasing a total under lights against their swingers was very impressive. The manner in which we beat NZ, England and especially Sri Lanka (who got totally slaughtered by our quicks) was phenomenal. And of course there was the Pakistan victory. A seriously amazing streak - our team was amazing to watch then with the surreal form Tendulkar was in, and the way our pacemen were blasting through most teams (Nehra killed England single handedly, Zaheer was amazing v. the NZ top order and it was brilliant to see EVERYONE firing on all cylinders and demolishing SL - one of my favourite sights of that tourney).