Do you know?

Don Sharma

There were a few incidents in cricket that some of you MAY NOT be aware of, so I thought of posting a write-up that wud bring a surprise and sometimes a giggle or two. The Legend Sir Gary Sobers' mammoth innings of 254 for World XI against Australia was sublime in every sense that Don Bradman said "I believe that Sobers' was the greatest exhibition of batting seen in Australia. I have seen nothing equal to it in this country." During that test match Sobers had some personal problems so much so a certain Ian Chappell thought he vented his frustration on the cricket field. Ian Chappel later recollected "He said 'Prue's left me'. Prue being his wife who lived in Melbourne in those days. 'Sobie, if that's the bloody thing that's annoying you so much, give me her phone number, and I'll tell her to get bloody home straight away'.:--D You know, he just laughed. And it didn't make any difference - he came out and belted us again." Hail the king!!!:hatsoff: Eureka! We know... When bowlers around the world were finding it difficult to answer Sanath's swashbuckling cut over point region in WC 1996, a couple of journalists (my regional papers) found one. They alleged that he uses a "spring" in his bat and that's why the ball propels to the boundary on impact.:omg: Sleep, Charlie, sleep Brian Charles Lara was so nervous on the day he broke Sobers' world record that he woke up as early as 3.00AM that morning and was seen shadow practicing, the rest as they say is history.:two_thumbs_up: The outsiders Do you know apart from KP and Strauss (both SA), England's Ashes winning team of '05 had one more player of foreign origin - Geraint Jones who is from Papua New Guinea. Also Andrew Symonds was eligible to play for both England and West Indies, but then Symmo preferred to stay in the BILLABONG SANCTUARY...oops Australia. HEALY'ed In one of the tour matches in South Africa, Australia played Hansie Cronje's province. Cronje was at the non strikers end, there was a short chubby batsman on strike.Ian Healy yelled to Warne, “Bowl a Mars Bar half way down...We'll get him stumped".The Aussies and Cronje were all in hysterics; all this was before a classic reply from the batsman."Nah, Boonie (David Boon fielding at short leg) will be onto it before I can move." :hysterical:

who can blame him for that ?:icflove:
:cantstop: A few more... The Epic battle In the first innings in the match between Aus vs ROW, Dennis Lillee picked up Sobers with a short pitched ball. That evening Sobers went to the dressing room where Ian Chappell was sitting and said to him, "You've got a boy here called Lillee. Every time I have gone in, all I have got from him is bouncers. I want you to tell him that I can bowl quick too, and I can bowl bouncers. So watch out for me when he comes in." When Lillee came into bat in the first innings, Tony Greig slipped in the idea of bowling a couple of bouncers to Sobers and so he did and it whizzed past Dennis who looked at Sobers and “turned completely pink". Lillee eventually fell to Sobers' trying to slog his slow ball. At the end of the day's play Sobers went to Ian again and sat by him. Ian said, "I'll tell you something: when Dennis came in, before he reached the room, the bat hit the wall, and he said, 'That little so-and-so, I will show him. I haven't really bowled quick at him yet'." Sobers said, "Well, he's got the ball, I've got the bat. I've never met the one who can scare me before, and I don't think that I will."The next day Sobers played THE innings of his lifetime and as he was walking off, Dennis looked at him and said, "I've heard about you and now I've got my tail cut properly.":adore: - Excerpts from Cricinfo Rasheed Wallace of Cricket In the 1996 series against the Oz in Australia, WI headed into the third test trailing 2-0, the entire team, particularly Ambrose was heavily criticized for their performance or lack of it. Amby guaranteed that he would take a 10-for in the 3rd test at Melbourne. As it turned out he put in a stellar performance but ended one wicket short of what he promised. He had match figures of 9/72.:hatsoff: Dual roles The only man ever to have played in both Cricket and Football WC's is none another than King Viv. He represented Antigua in the qualifying matches for the 1974 World Cup.:hatsoff: Steve Bucknor was also a football referee early in his career. But he gave up his job to become a full time cricket umpire. Well, the Aussie football team is not as lucky as their cricketing counterparts!!!:winky: Cricket sledges In his debut innings against the WI, Sunny edged the ball straight to Sobers, who dropped an easy chance. Moments later he offered a second chance to Sobers again who floored it again. Sir Gary went straight to Sunny and said: "There are ten other players on the field, why do you keep on picking up me?":--D In one of the tests, Gavaskar had decided to relinquish his opening position and come in at no 4. But, Malcolm Marshall fired out Anshuman Gaekwad and Dilip Vengsarkar for ducks, setting the stage for Gavaskar to walk in at 0/2 and he thought there would be less pressure! Viv Richards said “Man, it don't matter where you come in to bat, the score is still zero.":--D Once, in a FC game in Australia, Ian Chappell kept complaining to the umpire about the lack of light for the play to continue. Then suddenly after the end of an over, Chappell started to walk towards the pavilion even before the umpire called off the play. The umpire kept yelling at Ian to return back. Ian responded "Where are you umps? I can only hear you, I can’t see you.":hehe: Marshall was bowling to David Boon who had played and missed a couple of times. Marshall: "Now David, Are you going to get out now or am I going to have to bowl around the wicket and kill you?":hysterical: The fortune teller During the lunch break in that famous match (record 434 run chase) against Australia in Jo'burg, Kallis sarcastically said "It's a 450 wicket, guys...they're about 15 short!":two_thumbs_up: Favs Christian Bob Vieri, the former Italian Intl' footballer was born in Australia. He is an ardent cricket fan and has got a bat signed by Allan Border, his favorite cricketer. Usian Bolt's favorite cricketer is Mathew Hayden. He joked "My friends say my run up to the stumps is faster than my deliveries!†:--Dwhen he was asked how fast is he as a bowler. Richard Hadlee has this habit of collecting autographs of cricketers, journalists, etc. He has got a personal collection of more than a 100. Harsh Boghle was flattened when Hadlee asked for his.
I read Bolt used to admire Tendulkar and then last week he said his fave player was Waqar and now I read Haydos
its like this.. no one knew abt bolt until he won the olympics.. then media started interviewing him.. and he had said he like cricket and a big fan of cricket.. after they heard that, these circket media guys from each (cricket playing)countries went to him and asked him like : Indian journo: what do you think abt sachin.. have useen him bat bolt: yeah hes a great batsman, i like watchin play.. Ozzie Journo: which ozz player do u like? bolt: Hayden is quite athletic and i like to watch him bat walkding down the pitch n smakcin the ball hard.. paaki journo: how abt waqar younis.. he runs as fast as u when bowling bolt: oww yeah.. i luv to watch him bowl..he runns really phaaaast these journos go back to office and start publishing articles in the news next day with titles running bolt is a big fan of sachin... and bolt watches cricket cuz of hayden ...and bolt loves paaki cricket n a big fan of prak cricket n phaaast bollers esp younis..