Dhawal Kulkarni

Feed

Former India skipper and chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar hailed Mumbai medium pacer Dhawal Kulkarni's inclusion in the Test squad for NZ. More... Dhawal's inclusion is an investment for future: Vengsarkar Agencies Posted: Feb 13, 2009 at 1551 hrs IST Mumbai: Former India skipper and chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar today hailed Mumbai medium pacer Dhawal Kulkarni's inclusion in the Test squad for New Zealand as an investment for the future and felt the tour would be a good learning experience for the youngster. “Dhawal is an investment for the future just as Ishant Sharma was when we selected him for the England tour in 2007 and did not play a single match there. He's got a high arm action and the experience would help him,” Vengsarkar told PTI while reacting to the 20-year-old right-arm pacer's selection. Kulkarni bagged 49 wickets in his debut first class season, including 42 in the Ranji Trophy, to force his way in. Pointing out that Kulkarni, a product of the Elf-Vengsarkar Academy, was a good choice, Vengsarkar rued the absence of two other top performers who piloted Mumbai to their 38th Ranji Trophy title this season - team captain and opener Wasim Jaffer and one-down batsman Ajinkya Rahane. “I feel Ajinkya and Wasim should have been there by the sheer weight of their domestic performance”, Vengsarkar said. The 20-year-old Rahane, in his second first class season, compiled 1089 runs with a double ton to boot in Ranji Trophy. While the 30-year-old Jaffer, with an experience of 31 Tests behind him, scored 1260 runs that included a triple hundred.

IPL was the turning point of my career: Dhawal Dhawal Kulkarni credited his stint in last year's Indian Premier League as the turning point in his fledgling career. More... IPL was the turning point of my career: Dhawal Agencies Posted: Feb 13, 2009 at 1720 hrs IST Mumbai: Young Mumbai medium-pacer Dhawal Kulkarni credited his stint in last year's Indian Premier League, where he got the chance to rub shoulders with South African fast bowling legend Shaun Pollock among others, as the turning point in his fledgling career. "The IPL, in which I played for Mumbai Indians, was a big turning point in my career. It gave me the chance to share the dressing room with senior players (Sachin Tendulkar, Sanath Jayasuriya and Pollock)," he said after being picked in the Indian team for the upcoming three-Test series in New Zealand. The 20-year-old Mumbai Ranji Trophy bowling spearhead appreciated the advice and tips offered to him by Pollock for his subsequent success in Ranji Trophy in which he emerged the leading wicket-taker with 42 scalps. "Pollock gave me tips during the IPL which I used in the Ranji Trophy and emerged as the highest wicket-taker," said Kulkarni, who has toured New Zealand earlier with the India Under-19 team. Asserting that he was expecting the call-up for national duty following his fine display in domestic cricket in his debut first class season, Kulkarni said the challenge for bowlers like him in New Zealand would be to adapt to wickets of varying pace.

He's a really good bowler. He isnt express, but quite sharp but most importantly, gets a lot of bounce and movement. He could be really tricky to handle in Kiwi conditions. Even during IPL, seeing him play for the first time, it was obvious there was something different about it. Its great to see the slectors (Inzamam style..:D) rewarding consistent domestic pefrormances. They could have easily taken the beaten path and slected someone like Sreesanth. But they decided to go by FC performances, which is excellent. If Sreesanth wants a place in the Indian squad, he has to earn it.

Not high speed. Good stamina' date=' swings it a LOT and can seam it around as well. Consistent, can bleed runs at times but generally pitches the ball up, tries to get it to move and induces wickets through nicks/plays outside the off stump.[/quote'] He reminds me of your nemesis

It was a pleasant surprise: Dhawal After stumps on the penultimate day of the Duleep Trophy final in Chennai, Dhawal Kulkarni, who was then one short of 50 wickets in his maiden first class season, had lost all hope of making it to the Indian team for New Zealand. More... It was a pleasant surprise: Dhawal G Krishnan, Hindustan Times Mumbai, February 14, 2009 First Published: 13:08 IST(14/2/2009) Last Updated: 13:09 IST(14/2/2009) After stumps on the penultimate day of the Duleep Trophy final in Chennai, Dhawal Kulkarni, who was then one short of 50 wickets in his maiden first class season, had lost all hope of making it to the Indian team for New Zealand. "The pitch was slow. I stand no chance for New Zealand as I did not take any wickets in this match," a dejected Kulkarni had told this reporter then. But, on Friday, it did not matter. Kulkarni was in for a pleasant surprise when he saw his name in the Test squad for New Zealand. "I didn't expect the call so early. I did take some wickets this season and there was an outside chance," Kulkarni told the Hindustan Times on Friday. "Now that the selectors have given me an opportunity to represent the country, I will try to grab it." The 20-year-old right-arm medium-pacer is not express pace. He clocks between 120 and 130 kmph and has earned a majority of his wickets by persisting with a disciplined line and length, rarely straying outside off stump. Kulkarni had a dream start to his Ranji career, picking up five wickets against Rajasthan in his first match at the Brabourne Stadium. "I got into a rhythm in the first match and ended up with nine wickets. I set it as a benchmark for the rest of the season. The target was five wickets every match." Kulkarni finished as the highest wicket-taker in the Ranji Trophy with 42 wickets in nine games, including four bags of five or more wickets. The icing on the cake was the five-for in the final. One known to excel when conditions suit seamers, Kulkarni produced his best effort on a batsman-friendly pitch against Hyderabad. He took a career best seven for 50 to lead Mumbai to victory. Kulkarni picked up the nuances of fast bowling at the MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai and also went to Cricket Australia's Centre of Excellence last year following his impressive show in the IPL for Mumbai where he snared 11 wickets in 10 matches. 14-02-09_dhawal_kulkarni.jpg

Guest whineleg

If he is smart he'll grab this opportunity with his feet even though lack of flexibility in toes makes grabbing very difficult. He needs to practice opportunity grabbing feet in domestics - though not sure - maybe for Test 2 or Test 3.

I know the conditions in New Zealand very well: Kulkarni "It feels great getting into the side. This is the most special day of my life. I was expecting a call as I was the highest wicket-taker of the season. So it wasn't a surprise. However, the feeling is yet to sink in," Dhawal said. More... I know the conditions in New Zealand very well: Kulkarni Taus Rizvi Friday, February 13, 2009 13:56 IST Email Mumbai: Friday the 13th turned out to be the most special day for Dhawal Kulkarni. The 20-year-old was picked for the Indian Test squad for the forthcoming three-match series against New Zealand starting next month. However, the feeling of being selected in the Indian team is yet to sink in for the young pace bowler who was the highest wicket taker in the Ranji Trophy this season with 42 wickets from nine games. "It feels great getting into the side. This is the most special day of my life. I was expecting a call as I was the highest wicket-taker of the season. So it wasn't a surprise. However, the feeling is yet to sink in," Dhawal said. Kulkarni, who reached Rajkot on Friday evening for the West Zone Ranji one dayers, said it was the busiest day of his life. "I was practising with the Mumbai team at the MCA's BKC ground in the morning when some reporters informed me about my selection. From then on, the phone has not stopped ringing," he remarked. The young medium-pacer's immediate target is to do well in the Ranji Trophy one-dayers for Mumbai. "I am focusing on the Ranji one dayers. I would not like to shift my attention from it as it is one of the important tournaments of the season," he added. Dhawal has had a successful Ranji Trophy season and it was his consistent line and length that fetched him the wickets. "I just stuck to the basics and did not go for anything extraordinary," he told DNA. The Balmohan boy, who last year played for Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League and has already got a big salary hike from the team ($20000 to $70000), is excited to share the dressing room with the senior players. "I am going to learn a lot from this tour," he said. Dhawal, who was pursuing science from Rizvi College, wanted to become a pilot. "Destiny had other plans. To represent my country is great and I would try to live up to the expectations." In 2007, the youngster had toured New Zealand with the India U-19 side and is quite familiar with the conditions. "I had a five wicket haul in one of the matches and I know the conditions there. You have to hit the deck hard and put the ball in the right areas," he added. Dhawal credited his success to his parents and friends. "I feel I am here right now because of my parents, friends and everyone who has supported me."

If he is smart he'll grab this opportunity with his feet even though lack of flexibility in toes makes grabbing very difficult. He needs to practice opportunity grabbing feet in domestics - though not sure - maybe for Test 2 or Test 3.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: We'll miss Whineleg :(( :((