Richie Benaud to call stumps in 2010

SachDan

SYDNEY: Former Australian cricket captain Richie Benaud will retire from television commentary next year, he announced on Wednesday. The 78-year-old told Sydney radio he was quitting after his current contract ends in 12 months. "I'll be doing Australian cricket next year, 2010, but I don't do any television at all anywhere else now and when I finish next year, then I'll be doing other things," he said. Benaud played 63 Tests for Australia between 1952 and 1964, captaining his country 28 times but was just as well known for his media work as his playing career. He began a full-time career in cricket commentary after his retirement, splitting his time between Britain and Australia.
The doyen of cricket commentators :hatsoff: http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/News/News/Benaud-to-hang-up-microphone-next-year-/articleshow/4148692.cms

What a shame. A gentleman, a masterful captain, quality leg spin bowler, fine all rounder, a brilliant thinker/writer on the game years ahead of his time (just read some of his old essays/pieces from the 50s and 60s with ideas only adopted MUCH later) and a brilliant commentator. Just wish he keeps some other role in cricket - maybe in the ICC, if there's room for a decent, honourable man there.

It was so fun last year when we toured Aus and there was Richie and then there was Bill Lawry together just entertaining every time during the test match. Richie Benaud's ability to crack jokes even with his old voice is the most special thing about him. He doesn't shout, makes sense all the time and is spot on most of the time. This guy will be missed a lot.

Good riddance. one of the most condescending uptight and biased commentators that there ever was.
Huh!? You want to listen to Arun-hehe-niceblackcrowflyingthere-Lal and L. Sing-along-a-krishnan? Benaud is one of the best in the business. he will be really missed from commentator team.

I think BB's talling about Aashish Kaporr and Atul Wassan.... For me the better commies are Holding, Lloyd, SMG(when he doesn't have the haterade on), Naser Hussain & Ian Chappell I can tolerate Atherton, Cozier, Benaud, Lawry, Siva, Shastri & Akram.... Loathe the others especially Lal, Rameez, Fernando, Nicholas & Beefy

Good riddance. one of the most condescending uptight and biased commentators that there ever was.
For years, I heard this bloke commentate in England and was amazing. He is the greatest of all time. HOWEVER, in recent years, he has lost it slightly and I feel that he is badly biased when Aus play, which makes his commentary seem poor and awfully derogatory at times.