New Zealand Test squad : Guptil & Uncapped Brent Arnel in the squad

Rajan

Northern Districts fast bowler Brent Arnel has been included in New Zealand's squad for the first of three Tests against India beginning on March 18 in Hamilton. The other new inclusion is batsman Martin Guptill, who has been in good form in one-day internationals. Arnel was New Zealand A's best bowler in the recently completed two-match series against England Lions, taking seven wickets at 25.71. He also represented New Zealand A in India in 2008. "He's [Arnel] bowled well consistently over a period of time, and has the advantage of having done quite a bit of bowling in recent four-day matches," GlennTurner, the head of New Zealand's selection panel, said. Allrounder Jacob Oram, who returned from injury for the ODIs, was not considered for selection because he was not yet confident of playing a five-day game. Oram's performances during the ODIs against India were weak as well. He scored eight runs in three innings and took no wickets in 18.3 overs. "He [Oram] has made good progress in recovering from injury, but Jacob is not yet fully confident that his body would stand up to rigours of a five-day game," Turner said. "He now has the opportunity to play some four-day cricket for Central Districts - and he may well come into consideration for the later Test matches." The allrounder's spot in the Test squad went to James Franklin, who scored 92 against England Lions and took four wickets in the two matches. Franklin's place in the New Zealand A squad for the Twenty20 against England Lions will be taken by Scott Styris, while Warren McSkimming will replace Arnel. New Zealand also named an unchanged squad for the final ODI against India in Auckland on March 14. Ian Butler has not recovered from his thigh strain to return to the team. India have already won the series, after taking a 3-0 lead in Hamilton on Wednesday. First Test squad: Daniel Vettori (capt), Brent Arnel, Daniel Flynn, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Tim McIntosh, Brendon McCullum (wk), Chris Martin, Kyle Mills, Iain O'Brien, Jeetan Patel, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor. Fifth ODI squad: Daniel Vettori (capt), Grant Elliott, Martin Guptill, Brendon McCullum, Peter McGlashan (wk), Kyle Mills, Iain O'Brien, Jacob Oram, Jeetan Patel, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor, Ewen Thompson. --------------------------------------- NZ have proved very tough to beat at home for indian teams in the past. I hope this time we shud win the away series comfortably. after windies and England series wins , this shud give a lot of happiness!

First Test squad: Daniel Vettori (capt), Brent Arnel, Daniel Flynn, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Tim McIntosh, Brendon McCullum (wk), Chris Martin, Kyle Mills, Iain O'Brien, Jeetan Patel, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor. Fifth ODI squad: Daniel Vettori (capt), Grant Elliott, Martin Guptill, Brendon McCullum, Peter McGlashan (wk), Kyle Mills, Iain O'Brien, Jacob Oram, Jeetan Patel, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor, Ewen Thompson. --------------------------------------- NZ have proved very tough to beat at home for indian teams in the past. I hope this time we shud win the away series comfortably. after windies and England series wins , this shud give a lot of happiness!
I doubt the potency of bowlers if the pitches remain as flat as they've been in the ODI series. How on earth will we get 20 wickets, and that too with third seamer being an iffy? What'll be the batting line-up of the Kiwis? Ryder ? Taylor Guptill Flynn Franklin McCullum Vettori three seamers? I have no idea. Can anyone enlighten? PS: this was the batting line up in the last test vs WI: TG McIntosh JM How DR Flynn LRPL Taylor JD Ryder BB McCullum JEC Franklin DL Vettori KD Mills JS Patel IE O'Brien

India should be a wee bit careful, not to go with the same mentality as in the ODIs NZL'ders are no mean a bad team and they are a good fighting outfit Well, Sehwag will play his own game, but other should play it as a test match and make huge totals...the hosts are certainly not going to offer flat decks for tests Well, no team would like to give Sehwag unlimited balls to play on a flat deck :hysterical:

1.Ryder 2.McIntosh 3.Taylor 4.Guptill 5.Flynn 6.McCullum 7.Vettori 8.Franklin 9.Mills 10.PATEL?/Arnel/an additional batsman/all rounder 11.Martin I think O Brien will not play.
If thats the Kiwi Top 5, i think Bhajji might prove more than a handful here, coz other than Taylor, very few are capable of handling top quality spin bowling,
[B]Name                        Test Matches                     Country Played Against[/B]
Daniel Flynn                     9                             Eng, Aus, WI, BD
Jesse Ryder                      6                               WI, Aus, BD
Tim McIntosh                     2                               WI
Martin Guptill                  Debut                         ---

The 4 out of the top 5 NZ batsmen have played 17 Tests between them, with no experience against some world class spin bowling, may be we should go with 2 spinners depending on the conditions

If thats the Kiwi Top 5' date=' i think Bhajji might prove more than a handful here, coz other than [b']Taylor, very few are capable of handling top quality spin bowling,
[B]Name                        Test Matches                     Country Played Against[/B]
Daniel Flynn                     9                             Eng, Aus, WI, BD
Jesse Ryder                      6                               WI, Aus, BD
Tim McIntosh                     2                               WI
Martin Guptill                  Debut                         ---

The 4 out of the top 5 NZ batsmen have played 17 Tests between them, with no experience against some world class spin bowling, may be we should go with 2 spinners depending on the conditions

As you know Shane, Bhajji is almost useless as far as taking wickets is concerned, in unhelpful conditions. And conditions certainly won't favour a spinner--it could be seamer friendly or flat. So all our hopes are pinned on our seamers and I wonder how successful they'll be on flat decks.
As you know Shane, Bhajji is almost useless as far as taking wickets is concerned, in unhelpful conditions. And conditions certainly won't favour a spinner--it could be seamer friendly or flat. So all our hopes are pinned on our seamers and I wonder how successful they'll be on flat decks.
Dont worry,:two_thumbs_up:Munaf Patel will run thru the NZ team, with your blessings, Chandan!
He may be useless in alien conditions, but thats against quality and experienced opposition, however an inexperienced opposition may be found wanting against spin bowling quality even a notch lower. I got this theory from watching Martin Guptill in the ODI's, he was smashing the Pacers in the early part of the series and was in fab form, he scored 80 odd in the first ODI, but in the latter half of the series he came in when the spinners were on and struggled, even against the likes of Yuvi, Yusuf who are mere part timers I aint telling that Guptill cant play spin, but he is not exactly comfortable with the spinners on, my point here being if Bhajji hits his straps in the Test Matches, i wouldnt exactly be suprized to watch him come up with a couple of Five wicket Hauls !!!
He may be useless in alien conditions, but thats against quality and experienced opposition, however an inexperienced opposition may be found wanting against spin bowling quality even a notch lower. I got this theory from watching Martin Guptill in the ODI's, he was smashing the Pacers in the early part of the series and was in fab form, he scored 80 odd in the first ODI, but in the latter half of the series he came in when the spinners were on and struggled, even against the likes of Yuvi, Yusuf who are mere part timers I aint telling that Guptill cant play spin, but he is not exactly comfortable with the spinners on, my point here being if Bhajji hits his straps in the Test Matches, i wouldnt exactly be suprized to watch him come up with a couple of Five wicket Hauls !!!
Martin Crowe accepts that. he feels the same.