This is why we need Rohit Sharma

DomainK

Its good to have one reserve in the squad bunny. Before toss' date=' if MSD feels the conditions can be tricky, he can include a batsman who can steady-the-ship if needed. Not always MSD can do that successfully, and there can be a spot for a more technically adept batsman than MSD. We have SRT, but on days we are not able to play him for the ODI (like today) we need another reserve in the squad.[/quote'] Most of the ODIs are played on flat tracks so it's better to carry around hitters.
rohit should be grilled for zak's run out.. unbelievable..
Zak's run-out? Why? It was Rohit's call and Zak had no business looking behind. He should have trusted his partner and should have run immediately. When the boundaries were so difficult to come, there was no point in not picking singles too.

This is why we don't need Rohit Sharma. If this has been other batsman at no. 4, like Yuvi we would have been in better position. It's okay to play like this when we need 200 to 230 runs in 50 overs, otherwise we will lose more matches because of this. And Rohit had successfully killed the run scoring momment more than once in the past.

This is why we don't need Rohit Sharma. If this has been other batsman at no. 4' date= like Yuvi we would have been in better position. It's okay to play like this when we need 200 to 230 runs in 50 overs, otherwise we will lose more matches because of this. And Rohit had successfully killed the run scoring momment more than once in the past.
Oh really? So you expect your batsmen to hit bowlers all over the park even while the ball is swinging and seaming all over? Wake up and smell the coffee. None of the batsmen were good enough to survive in such a condition for more than 40 runs apart from Sehwag and Rohit! Rohit killed all the momentum? Gambhir was going great guns I suppose as was Raina before that, according to you?Gambhir scored at a strike rate of 31 and Raina at the SR of 42. Even then they couldn't survive for even 20 balls. Yuvraj just looked like a fish out of water there and the less we talk about Pathan, the better. We should be glad to have seen a batsman who can survive such a condition in future and it'll certainly help India whenever we play in seamer friendly conditions!!
@Chandan Like you said Gambhir and Raina were slow but unlike Rohit they were trying to score fast. In Rohit case at least to me he doesn't bother to score fast and it's not because of pitch I have seen him batting like this even on flat track.
They were idiots if they were trying to score fast when they couldn't understand how to tackle swing. And that explains the play and misses and then finally their dismissals. Rohit might not have been trying to smash every ball for a six in past, but the lad has technique and pluck to survive in tough conditions. And you should appreciate it. I remember that in T20 WC also, SA had prepared a seaming track for us and it was Rohit who had survived their spell and we could post a respectable total for our bowlers to defend. I'm quite glad to find out that Rohit won't fail as a batsman in seamong conditions! If Gambhir and Raina were trying to score fast, could they succeed? No. Why? Because they lack that technique. And this should worry you because Gambhir is our opening batsman in tests too. Yuvraj's failure is equally worrying but at least he'll come in the MO.

i cant believe some of u r satisfied with Rohit's knock.it seemed he was batting more for himself n his position rather than the team.he was responsible for Veeru's dismissal wen he stemmed all the flow by playing 6-7 dot balls.he was responsible for bhajji n Zak's RO.atfer playing 74 balls he scored at a SR of 58. i hope Dhoni realises the mistake n doesnt pick him again for a while.he cant be a part of the best ever batting lineup that SRT talks about if he keeps playing like that.the boy is talented for sure but doesnt have the temperament n urgency required for ODIs .can be a good investment for tests though

LOL..anybody who thinks Raina could not handle what was dished out today wasn't watching the game.I thought he played better than the other lefties(GG and Yuvi) right until the time when the variable pace of the track did him in. Rohit to me needs to learn to rotate the strike..he literally does nothing with the balls pitching in the 'good' length.He has two tricks..drives/glances or late-cuts/pulls.And even that isn't nearly as consistent as the other batsmen.Picks the fielders up more often than not. Out of the lot today..only Gambhir,Yuvraj and to an extent Pathan and Dhoni's wickets were genuinely dismissals.And ofcourse the run outs and lower order wickets. The two paced nature of the wicket did us in more than anything..and i'm sure some of the batsmen would have batted with a bit more responsibility if it weren't a dead rubber.

So Mr Lord, you expected everyone to smash sixes on those swinging deliveries? Why are you not angry at Raina and Gambhir who batted at much less SR? Yuvraj and Yusuf too? You want to have 11 sloggeres for the team who'll fall like a pack of cards the moment ball starts doing something?

LOL..anybody who thinks Raina could not handle what was dished out today wasn't watching the game.I thought he played better than the other lefties(GG and Yuvi) right until the time when the variable pace of the track did him in. Rohit to me needs to learn to rotate the strike..he literally does nothing with the balls pitching in the 'good' length.He has two tricks..drives/glances or late-cuts/pulls.And even that isn't nearly as consistent as the other batsmen.Picks the fielders up more often than not. Out of the lot today..only Gambhir,Yuvraj and to an extent Pathan and Dhoni's wickets were genuinely dismissals.And ofcourse the run outs and lower order wickets. The two paced nature of the wicket did us in more than anything..and i'm sure some of the batsmen would have batted with a bit more responsibility if it weren't a dead rubber.
I think you didn't watch the match fully then. More than variable bounce, it was swing which was major issue for the Indian batsmen. Gambhir threw his wicket away playing that same stupid shot that he always does. An outswinging delivery will always get him into trouble if he doesn't stop that. Raina tried to play the same shot which has been very productive for him in this tour--the six at long leg. This pitch and condition was not for such shots and Raina had played ample deliveries to gague that. Even you'll agree? Yuvraj--well. Didn't he look like a fish out of water today? Why? I'm not statisfied with Rohit's knock today but I am satisfied with the fact that swinging and seaming deliveries won't knock him over always as other batsmen in the team. Will you deny the fact that Rohit was not at all perturbed with deliveries swing and seaming around him?
You want to have 11 sloggeres for the team who'll fall like a pack of cards the moment ball starts doing something?
The issue is not the strike-rates here,Rohit Sharma is yet to understand the importance of rotating the strike...and lets not get carried away with ball swinging etc..Remember the opening T-20 match,what happened to Rohit's faultless technique then? Its so predictable really, everytime the Indian batting fails,conditions are suddenly portrayed as swingign seaming etc. With the exception Yuvraj and Gambhir,I do not believe any oft he wickets were due to the kiwi bowling.
So Mr Lord, you expected everyone to smash sixes on those swinging deliveries? Why are you not angry at Raina and Gambhir who batted at much less SR? Yuvraj and Yusuf too? You want to have 11 sloggeres for the team who'll fall like a pack of cards the moment ball starts doing something?
i dont expect anyone to smash sixes on swinging deliveries.but there is something called rotating the strike.Rohit got stuck n build the pressure on Veeru n others.he could not get singles at all. Yuvi,Raina,Gambhir,Yusuf had a slower SR than rohit but nobody played more than 30 balls.after 30 balls Rohit he had made 7 at a SR of 29.that wat i mean by beiing stuck.i'm pretty sure everyone else would have covered up had they many balls as Rohit.
The issue is not the strike-rates here,Rohit Sharma is yet to understand the importance of rotating the strike...and lets not get carried away with ball swinging etc..Remember the opening T-20 match,what happened to Rohit's faultless technique then? Its so predictable really, everytime the Indian batting fails,conditions are suddenly portrayed as swingign seaming etc. With the exception Yuvraj and Gambhir,I do not believe any oft he wickets were due to the kiwi bowling.
Never said that his technique was faultless but it was good enough to counter the condition. Every time Indian batting fails and the pitch is labeled as seaming? Go to the SL match threads, the tests in which our batters failed miserably and tell me how many said that the pitch was challenging? None! The last ODI that we lost against Lanka, dead rubber yet again. Tell me how many said that the ball was swinging or anything? None! You don't need to be in denial with the fact that it was heavily overcast throughout and Kiwis swung the ball a lot more than Indian bowlers did. You also don't need to deny that many of our ODI batters in this team fail in such conditions as they failed today. And yes, to me, Gambhir's wicket was not due to a jaffa. He played a stupid shot even after having watched that it was swinging that knowing that this shot would land him in trouble. If you don't agree, then good luck. We'll see how he performs again on green pitch.
i dont expect anyone to smash sixes on swinging deliveries.but there is something called rotating the strike.Rohit got stuck n build the pressure on Veeru n others.he could not get singles at all. Yuvi,Raina,Gambhir,Yusuf had a slower SR than rohit but nobody played more than 30 balls.after 30 balls Rohit he had made 7 at a SR of 29.that wat i mean by beiing stuck.i'm pretty sure everyone else would have covered up had they many balls as Rohit.
Did you try to work out why they couldn't play more than 20 balls? It was because they failed against swing of the ball, it was because they don't know how to tackle a ball when it is swinging! Once you'll work that out, other things will fall in place for you. PS: I think I've been repeating the same thing since last three posts. If you understood what I wanted to say, then thanks. If you didn't, then we can agree to disagree.
Did you try to work out why they couldn't play more than 20 balls? It was because they failed against swing of the ball, it was because they don't know how to tackle a ball when it is swinging! Once you'll work that out, other things will fall in place for you. PS: I think I've been repeating the same thing since last three posts. If you understood what I wanted to say, then thanks. If you didn't, then we can agree to disagree.
oh really?who was that guy that made 100 at karachi against Pak in 2006?or 100 in Lahore in Swinging conditions?or 169 at bangalore.looked a lot like Yuvraj n who was that guy who made 179 in Mohali against England just a while back in swinging conditions.?i thougt it was Gambhir the fact is they were playing an ODI u cant afford to get stuck.u have to keep the scoreboard ticking.even they could do wat Rohit did,but they knew team will only suffer n tried to up the ante.they failed,so wat atleast the intent was there.

Biggest problem with Rohit Sharma is his inability to rotate strike, he just takes up soo many dot balls it puts pressure on those around him. His first instinct is look to block and if its a really lose ball then I'll get a run. Most other batsmen will look to get runs first and if its a good ball, block it

Biggest problem with Rohit Sharma is his inability to rotate strike, he just takes up soo many dot balls it puts pressure on those around him. His first instinct is look to block and if its a really lose ball then I'll get a run. Most other batsmen will look to get runs first and if its a good ball, block it
He didn't seem to have any problem rotating the strike when he was batting with Zaheer, Praveen, and Ishant.:giggle:
Exactly