Breaking News: IPL moved out of India

SachDan

So what solution either Govt of India or IPL had apart from scrapping the IPL this year which is certainly not possible given the stakes which are certainly high?
Perhaps hold a truncated version or hold it over two stages or scrap it altogether for the season. I find it really annoying that Modi is treating the Indian audience like TV cash cows and nothing else whom they will milk till they run dry. What's wrong in admitting that you are not prepared to host the league this year - they are asking for 80 bullet proof vehicles 3 weeks before the tournament, coming up with crazy solutions like getting private security agencies for protection? The league is a goose which lays a golden egg and I have a feeling Modi is in the process of butchering it. I hate it when anyone is taken for granted and the Indian audience and public is being taken on a huge rollercoaster ride by Modi just so that the cash registers do not stop ringing.

Perhaps hold a truncated version or hold it over two stages or scrap it altogether for the season. I find it really annoying that Modi is treating the Indian audience like TV cash cows and nothing else whom they will milk till they run dry. What's wrong in admitting that you are not prepared to host the league this year - they are asking for 80 bullet proof vehicles 3 weeks before the tournament, coming up with crazy solutions like getting private security agencies for protection? The league is a goose which lays a golden egg and I have a feeling Modi is in the process of butchering it. I hate it when anyone is taken for granted and the Indian audience and public is being taken on a huge rollercoaster ride by Modi just so that the cash registers do not stop ringing.
So you are also not happy at the money injected at ground level? If you've read Akash Chopra's blog, you must have read what he said about domesrtic cricketers' payment and all that. You are happy that Indian cricket loses a huge chunk of money, and obviously the uncertainty will force the sponsors think twice before investing in anything in future too. And the first loss will be that of the domestic players. You are happy with that? Well, I'm not. I for one will want the domestic cricketers to earn as much as possible and it doesn't matter if we pay a few millions to foreign cricketers too, in the process.

So you are also not happy at the money injected at ground level? If you've read Akash Chopra's blog, you must have read what he said about domesrtic cricketers' payment and all that. You are happy that Indian cricket loses a huge chunk of money, and obviously the uncertainty will force the sponsors think twice before investing in anything in future too. And the first loss will be that of the domestic players. You are happy with that? Well, I'm not. I for one will want the domestic cricketers to earn as much as possible and it doesn't matter if we pay a few millions to foreign cricketers too, in the process.
No I am not happy with domestic cricketers losing out on their earnings and hence my first two suggestions of holding a truncated version or splitting it up. And anyhow, the domestic cricketers have already been paid the money. Now I don't know about the specific IPL contract but standar business contracts across the world suggest that the players would have to be paid even if the league does not go through this year - at least a partial amount, usually 50% or more because they are contracted and available to play. I feel that domestic cricketers are going to suffer more by this decision in the long run because IPL's popularity is going to be impacted not only for this season but perhaps in the future as well. Honestly, do you see the audience getting excited about their teams playing thousands of miles away in front of empty stadiums.

No I am not happy with domestic cricketers losing out on their earnings and hence my first two suggestions of holding a truncated version or splitting it up. And anyhow, the domestic cricketers have already been paid the money. Now I don't know about the specific IPL contract but standar business contracts across the world suggest that the players would have to be paid even if the league does not go through this year - at least a partial amount, usually 50% or more because they are contracted and available to play. I feel that domestic cricketers are going to suffer more by this decision in the long run because IPL's popularity is going to be impacted not only for this season but perhaps in the future as well. Honestly, do you see the audience getting excited about their teams playing thousands of miles away in front of empty stadiums.
No. Not at all. In fact it is far from ideal for an IPL lover. I can't claim to be one though, even if I watch the matches just to have a view of new upcoming players. But I think, something is better than nothing for them. You think they wouldn't have punished the players financially if they had incurred huge losses by not earning anything this year? In fact they could have gone in minus as they would have to compensate the broadcaster and so many franchises. Who would ultimately bear the brunt? Players of course! And I do not want that.

Thinking about it a bit more the idea sounds even more stupid. There are going to be 59 matches of India's domestic league held in England? The timings will be to cater to the Indian TV audience - 4 PM and 8 PM? That's 11:30 AM London time and 12:30 PM Cape Town time - is there a ghost of a chance to get more than a few hundred people in stadiums for 59 matches running day in and day out. Even 3:30 PM and 4:30 PM are not really hot hours for a Brit or a South African to go and watch Shah Rukh Khan in the pit with Akshay Kumar. Temperatures are in the 8-14 degrees range in May at a lot of South African venues. Cheerleaders are likely to ask for the best health insurance available out there.
4 pm matches are only for the weekends. Temperature is the more serious problem. Anyway, the grounds have < 25K capacity. So it would look decent if you can get just a few thousands in. Modi has said that each team will have a home venue. Are there so many international class cricket grounds there ?

No. Not at all. In fact it is far from ideal for an IPL lover. I can't claim to be one though, even if I watch the matches just to have a view of new upcoming players. But I think, something is better than nothing for them. You think they wouldn't have punished the players financially if they had incurred huge losses by not earning anything this year? In fact they could have gone in minus as they would have to compensate the broadcaster and so many franchises. Who would ultimately bear the brunt? Players of course! And I do not want that.
As I mentioned above I have no clue how exactly IPL contracts are structured for the players but standard contracts across industries provide for at least a 50% compensation if you have contracted out someone's time and then the project does not go through for some reason. Probably the players would have had to get the rough end of the stick in some way or the other, but I feel this decision might actually put people off the IPL harming them in the long run - but then again this is the Indian audience we are talking about so I might be completely off and we might still get soaring TRP ratings this year and in the future.

I think this is a bad idea.for a tournament in its infancy which is trying to build a fan base to shift it now will be lunacy.they should have cancelled it alltogether and hoped they could better organzie it next year.so we should expect the IPL to be moved out of india every 4 years?.this is such a shame for india-where does the buck stop?.all the politicians are trying to wash their hands of any responsibilty.

:hysterical::hysterical: LOL @ us Indian fans who never turn up for Test matches..did you watch the 4th test vs Aus recently in Nagpur.And now we are complaining that v'll have empty stadia? We out of all people must know that empty stadium has nothing to do what so ever with the success/failure of a tournament. Yeah the we got good crowds in the first season,sometimes a full house,but hardly what you see for an Indian ODI or anyhting.So relax..just because an Indian domestic tournament is going global the earth isn't going to stop rotating.Infact we should be proud the CSA are eager to host the tourney. Plus think about the fact that how the Indian audience will lap it up when it returns the following season..as they say absence makes the heart grow fonder.

:hysterical::hysterical: LOL @ us Indian fans who never turn up for Test matches..did you watch the 4th test vs Aus recently in Nagpur.And now we are complaining that v'll have empty stadia? We out of all people must know that empty stadium has nothing to do what so ever with the success/failure of a tournament. Yeah the we got good crowds in the first season,sometimes a full house,but hardly what you see for an Indian ODI or anyhting.So relax..just because an Indian domestic tournament is going global the earth isn't going to stop rotating.Infact we should be proud the CSA are eager to host the tourney. Plus think about the fact that how the Indian audience will lap it up when it returns the following season..as they say absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Thus Spaketh the Genius... Test Match= T20 Match.. Not!

Stupid decision and a strange reason for the shift i.e Elections I have never come across any domestic cricket of any cricketing nation being played in a neutral venue. Why play in South Africa or England, they should play in Bahamas or Fiji. Surely there won't really be much need for extra security there do we? The best place possibly would be NZ during the month of Jan/Feb. I think NZ can be a big draw for cricket in future. Wonder why they didn't have the Twenty20 champions trophy or something of that sort elsewhere? Please rename IPL as International Premier League and change the names of the teams. On top of it allow as many international players as possible to play for the teams with out a limitation. It's quite sad India and Indians will lose sizable revenue.
I don't think it will be much.Last time the govt earned some 150+ crore in revenue from IPL.I am sure the amount the govt would have had to spend for moving the forces around from one place to another to manage security would be the same.

Josh mein Lalit joker hosh kho gaya hai.The pompous asses in BCCI and specially this modi guy have got such big head bullying other boards around that they refuse to adjust to any body.B@$tards won't adjust to the Indian govt's plan for elections ...but will bend over for other govts. Do they think the govts of SA or any place else will drop everything and agree to every whim and fancy these asses have? I hope the host country sqeezes out every bit of juice from these guys to ground them. Besides the loss in earning from ticket sales will also be a kick in their massive butt!