The Vicious Yuvi cycle

Yuvi explodes in T20. Yuvi shocks and awes in ODIs. Fans/media weep and beat their chests for Yuvi's inclusion in test squad. Yuvi is drafted into the test squad. Yuvi does well in India. Yuvi sucks abroad. A month or two pass. Yuvi explodes in T20. Yuvi shocks and awes in ODIs. Yuvi's failures in previous series' are forgotten. Yuvi does well at home. Yuvi sucks abroad. And on and on and on.

for i=now to i=forever

Yuvi explodes in T20. Yuvi shocks and awes in ODIs. Fans/media weep and beat their chests for Yuvi's inclusion in test squad. Yuvi is drafted into the test squad. Yuvi does well in India. Yuvi sucks abroad. A month or two pass. Yuvi explodes in T20. Yuvi shocks and awes in ODIs. Yuvi's failures in previous series' are forgotten. Yuvi does well at home. Yuvi sucks abroad. And on and on and on.
end for
Give him a settled stint for a season. If he does not perform, then it's curtains in tests. I am backing him to come good.
cochise is dye hard fan of yuvi, i guess. There are plenty of talent crying at the test team dressing room door step

Yes...I am a die-hard fan of Yuvi...I think he can make it good and give expression to his latent talent. There has always been this pressure over him in tests, the sword of damocles always hanging over his head and it shows in his nervousness at the crease. This is a result of constantly being in and out of the side over years. He needs an extended run to feel he belongs there...if over that period he cannot perform, then the door must close...but not before. All the constant carping whenever he fails should not change this as the way forward. The selectors should decide how long a leash they want to give him and then stick to that period without allowing doubts to creep in...either way.

Yuvraj's career average is 35.5 and his average abroad is 29.2. Not much difference. Out of 3 hundreds in his career, two are abroad- though both came on flat pitches of Pakistan. Out of six fifties two are abroad. Strike rate is above 57 both home and abroad. Its not that bad TBH.

Yaar...we hear this everytime. Give him the run he deserves...not ina and out and questioning all the time. After this period, he is either out for good or in for the long run...depending on his performances. He will have to adjust his mindset to tests if he wants to succeed. If he does not or cannot, then goodbye. But give him enough of a STABLE run in the side. Most of the other players in the side back him to come good and have said so...they must see something no?

There has always been this pressure over him in tests, the sword of damocles always hanging over his head and it shows in his nervousness at the crease. This is a result of constantly being in and out of the side over years. He needs an extended run to feel he belongs there...if over that period he cannot perform, then the door must close...but not before. All the constant carping whenever he fails should not change this as the way forward. The selectors should decide how long a leash they want to give him and then stick to that period without allowing doubts to creep in...either way.
I disagree Cochise. He has been given a fairly consistent run in the past too, ignoring his performance on test by test basis. But Yuvi failed to blossom even then. It was the same problem then too. He did well in Pak, relatively okay in India and failed completely in WI. Then he failed to play even one good knock in Australia where he was keeping Sehwag away. And now he has failed even in NZ where the bowling is mediocre at best.
Yaar...we hear this everytime. Give him the run he deserves...not ina and out and questioning all the time. After this period, he is either out for good or in for the long run...depending on his performances. He will have to adjust his mindset to tests if he wants to succeed. If he does not or cannot, then goodbye. But give him enough of a STABLE run in the side. Most of the other players in the side back him to come good and have said so...they must see something no?
How many tests do you want him to play continuously? Was this much not enough: I think he was given more than 2-3 tests in a row to seal his place in the team. I'll give you the list: 1. Delhi test in 2005 vs SL 2. Ahmedabad test in 2005 vs SL 3. Lahore test in 2006 vs Pakistan 4. Faisalabad test in 2006 vs Pakistan 5. Karachi test in 2006 vs Pak 6. Mohali test vs in 2006 vs England (He didn't play the 1st test because he wasn't 100%) 7. Bombay test in 2006 vs England 8. Antugua test in 2006 vs WI 9. St Lucia test in 2006 vs WI 10. St Kitts test in 2006 vs WI 11. Jamaica test in 2006 vs WI So it was 11 tests in a row. Some stats savy guys can tell us about the runs scored by Yuvraj and his average during this period too. I watched every test that is listed above and I can say with confidence that Yuvraj failed miserably in these tests. And yes... Even after failing in these tests, he wasn't dropped from the side. He twisted his knee in October during the champions trophy and was ruled out for SA tour. It was this tour when Vengsarkar called back Ganguly and Ganguly repaid his faith in the most specatacular fashion for next 2 yesrs!! So?

Let the selectors decide. Since they have decided to place faith in him one more time, he should be given enough time to prove himself. Constantly revisiting doubts about him does nothing for him or his test batting. Either he should have been done away with before and a young fellow given a chance or he deserves an extended run from hereon in. But having made the decision to place faith in him to perform, they must now stick with him for a decent period. If he then fails, then that is it.

A FYI; He just scored an unbeaten half-century one week ago.
You did not type that with a straight face did you? I am not saying he should be dropped immediately, but to prop up his case with a 50 odd he made on a patta when both teams are going through the motions to finish the match is totally ridiculous. He did well against England and should be given one last series against Sri Lanka as a do or die, but this tour has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster for him like West Indies and Australia were before.
You did not type that with a straight face did you? I am not saying he should be dropped immediately, but to prop up his case with a 50 odd he made on a patta when both teams are going through the motions to finish the match is totally ridiculous. He did well against England and should be given one last series against Sri Lanka as a do or die, but this tour has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster for him like West Indies and Australia were before.
That’s just a gross exaggeration.
So you are saying when he does score outside it does not matter.

Yuvraj is a player who can only play T20 and ODIs fabulously.....Test match is not his cup of tea......I do hope somebody like Rohit or Badri gets a game or even Raina for that matter....But having said that Yuvraj is a batsman who can demolish any bowling attack in the world...but the shocker is that he can be any day out of form.....:hysterical:.....Yuvraj only for ODIs and T20.......

A FYI; He just scored an unbeaten half-century one week ago.
yes u are rite sriram but its just a 50 on paper...he got there with couple of aerial flicks and some mis hits....and also he scored 50 when thecarpet was rolled to step....he played under no pressure as the work was done earlier by gambhir laxman sachin and rahul Look at what happened today he failed as he was under tremendous pressure..He is a free flowing river who doesnt like any obstructions like a "SWINGING RED CHERRY" :hysterical:

Its just the question of start; he has to work on how to see off first 20-25 deliveries. He also needs to rotate strike like he does in ODI. Once Yuvraj is 12 (30) then there is no stopping him. Dont think anyone doubts the talent its just application.