Kirsten And Dhoni Massive Fail

they should have never batted on the 4th day.if they couldnt defend 531 then we deserved to lose and the writing was on the wall as far as the weather was concerned.we will never be no 1 with this archaic attitude.we hardly play tests and playing it safe win and not to win is wrong.

This was the right decision by MSD+team think-tank. Series is a lot more important than individual match, and if he wanted to make double or triple sure that the series was in the bag, then they were well within the rights to do so. An Ishant Sharma catch (he dropped O'brien) or a Taufel giving the lbw of Vettori (plumb) would have gotten us Martin and a win. But thats ok. Think-tank did what was right at the time on day4, and we have the series. Thats a biggie to win NZ Test series.

This was the right decision by MSD+team think-tank. Series is a lot more important than individual match, and if he wanted to make double or triple sure that the series was in the bag, then they were well within the rights to do so. An Ishant Sharma catch (he dropped O'brien) or a Taufel giving the lbw of Vettori (plumb) would have gotten us Martin and a win. But thats ok. Think-tank did what was right at the time on day4, and we have the series. Thats a biggie to win NZ Test series.
I agree with fineleg for a change. The pitch actually eased out quite a bit on day 4 and day 5. One good partnership could have put India on the defensive. Even a remote possibility of getting anywhere close to the target always keeps the batsmen going. Its the sheer pressure of the huge target that results in their fast demise. Even a small ray of hope would keep them motivated. The captain says in the dressing room "Guys, if we play out the six sessions, we will not draw this match, we will win it. We dont have to score runs, we just have to play the first four sessions out. We will think bout scoring after that." That gives the strength to the batsmen to fight. Then they come out and see that the pitch has eased out, the bounce is more even, the ball is not moving, there is a bit of spin but that can be handled, India has only one seasoned spinned on their side. Then they go at a decent run rate. In two sessions flat, the pressure would have been back on India. Pushing fielders to deep, trying to restrict than dismiss. I support Dhoni's decision. He secured the series first. We now have win after 40 years thanks to this team, this captain and this coach. So stop whinning and celebrat.
Guest Hiten.

RSD did the same thing against England. While Indian captains/coach keep saying that history will not affect the way they will play on foreign soil, history is still playing back in their minds when it comes to such declarations. We are making sure to every bits and pieces that we do not lose or draw the series. Nothing wrong with that, 41 years is a long god damn wait. NZ - CHECKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kumble did the same thing at banglore against pakis in 07 and now dhoni did the same. Guess our captains are happy winning 1-0.
well they dont give you 1st place in the rankings by drawing test matches.they are 8th ranked and we gave them way too much credit by piling on those meaningless runs.such a waste.

Utterly disappointing from Dhoni to say the least! Half way through the 3rd day there was only one team left with a choice to call the shots. Don't think in the history of Indian cricket, any of our teams of the past had such an opportunity outside sub-continent! Still we may well have to content with a DRAW. This is surely not the stuff of an aspiring champion side.

^ now, that I agree I cannot understand - Daadaji Munna bhai and Sehwag...thats unexplainable. Why those two!? But the 600+, Dhoni made the right call on that. He just HAD to ensure the series was completely secure.[/QUOTE] Wat the **** 600+ ?? In the past how many teams have chased down target in excess of 600 ?? You are talking as if chasing that is a norm in test cricket ! A win at Wellington. How I would have cherished that moment after our disappointing visits of the past :(
Guest Hiten.

SachDan, just because teams have not chased a target access of 500 does not mean teams in future or present will not. Sure it is not a norm but if batsmen really start applying themselves there are chances of team successfully chasing a target of 500+. India has recently started tasting series victories away from home and there is no need for us to show any flamboyancy when it comes to extending the margin of victory. Had MSD done the same in India, I am sure many of us including myself would have given him a bit of stick for not studying home conditions and understanding our bowlers abilities up to the mark.