Unearthing talent in India

Mamu

It was always quite strange and I could not comprehend why in a country of 1 Billion and cricket players of good talent were not found in abundance. Till about 1985 70 to 80 % of test cricketers were from only major metros in India namely -- Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi, Bangalore, Hyderabad and to some extent the Punjab/Haryana belt. So cricketers from other parts no matter how talented they were never made it to the top. Quite possibly because the club level cricket in metros was a major factor in sending the metro guys to the top. Always wondered why. It was hard to believe though. But now-a-days you see a whole bunch of cricketers from small towns and villages. Look at the U-19 squad and they have a whole bunch from the so-called C and D grade towns. Now coming to Karman Khan -- why did it take an Australian to find him? I am not saying Kamran has talent to represent India, but I am sure he is good enough to have played for UP under 16s and under 19s. Why was he not selected? Who were the fuq heads who saw and did not think he was a selectable player? This is where BCCI needs to pour its money in -- finding talent.. Clearly the think tank of cricketer selectors and administrators at the District and State level need to be monitored and also be held accountable for how their teams are doing. No excuses should be tolerated. When Imran Khan (who was a master in finding raw talent) was asked what could be done in India to improve cricket in India -- replied by saying that -- the number of First Class teams should be reduced so competitve cricket will find the raw talent - I scoffed at that idea -- always thought it would be a major mistake for India to reduce its number of Ranji Teams. Because I believe more the FC teams playing at the highest level -- more chances that a talent will be spotted. As a matter if fact I still think some major metros should be divided into more 2 or even 3 Ranji Teams -- so more players are getting noticed and quite possibly a rare good talent will be found. But for now I am just furious at the BCCI Admins and Talent scouts who have been absolutely good for nothing -- except sitting on their fat fuqing asses and eating. Bastardos!

This is where BCCI needs to pour its money in -- finding talent.. Clearly the think tank of cricketer selectors and administrators at the District and State level need to be monitored and also be held accountable for how their teams are doing. No excuses should be tolerated. !
Arre Mamu, where do they have money left to pour for finding talent? Once they pour all the money into the deep pockets of Lalit Modi and co., then nothing is left. They also supposedly claim (or once upon a time claimed) they are non-profit :giggle: All profits are consumed by the BCCI 'leadership team'. :((

It was always quite strange and I could not comprehend why in a country of 1 Billion and cricket players of good talent were not found in abundance. Till about 1985 70 to 80 % of test cricketers were from only major metros in India namely -- Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi, Bangalore, Hyderabad and to some extent the Punjab/Haryana belt. So cricketers from other parts no matter how talented they were never made it to the top. Quite possibly because the club level cricket in metros was a major factor in sending the metro guys to the top. Always wondered why. It was hard to believe though. But now-a-days you see a whole bunch of cricketers from small towns and villages. Look at the U-19 squad and they have a whole bunch from the so-called C and D grade towns. Now coming to Karman Khan -- why did it take an Australian to find him? I am not saying Kamran has talent to represent India, but I am sure he is good enough to have played for UP under 16s and under 19s. Why was he not selected? Who were the fuq heads who saw and did not think he was a selectable player? This is where BCCI needs to pour its money in -- finding talent.. Clearly the think tank of cricketer selectors and administrators at the District and State level need to be monitored and also be held accountable for how their teams are doing. No excuses should be tolerated. When Imran Khan (who was a master in finding raw talent) was asked what could be done in India to improve cricket in India -- replied by saying that -- the number of First Class teams should be reduced so competitve cricket will find the raw talent - I scoffed at that idea -- always thought it would be a major mistake for India to reduce its number of Ranji Teams. Because I believe more the FC teams playing at the highest level -- more chances that a talent will be spotted. As a matter if fact I still think some major metros should be divided into more 2 or even 3 Ranji Teams -- so more players are getting noticed and quite possibly a rare good talent will be found. But for now I am just furious at the BCCI Admins and Talent scouts who have been absolutely good for nothing -- except sitting on their fat fuqing asses and eating. Bastardos!
Great Post !!!.... Hopefully we will new loads of Pace bowlers and Allrounders in future ... Its time Munaf is replaced by some upcoming new talent

Kamran Khan can be an India cap if monitored and worked well. He is so quick at this young age and has late swing to use his speed to good effect as what we say in the RR warm up game. that delivery at least was 90 mile/h. Same case is with Umesh Yadav where he was picked by Vidarbha coach in a local tournament and he is one of india's talented domestic bowler.

As far as chennai was concerned, there were only a few schools,shall we say the usual suspects, which maintained a high standard of coaching.i am speaking from experience 15-20 years ago so when you talk about the metros, you may want to narrow it down to select schools. aashish,badani,kumaran ,sriram,s ramesh as well as ranji players sharath and tanveer came from santhome high school, barring the obvious exception of robin singh. i still haven't found out where more recent cricketers like balaji,karthik and vijay have come from. if you had asked me at that time, i knew one guy name ravinder john who was rated better than badani in the same age group and played for TN junior teams. but what happened to him later is not clear to me.