Dhoni and Harbhajan skip Padma shri award function

SachDan

We were comparing life time achievements of Dhoni and Bhajji' date=' since Padma Shri is for lifetime, unlike khel ratna, which is for one year. So for Padma Shri Bhajji is better contender than Dhoni, and hence my post.[/quote'] Neither Bhajji nor Dhoni deserve that. You do realise that the award is across sports and not just cricket? How is Bhajji's achievement better than the guys who brought India a medal in the olympics?
Baah..........all awards are hyped, overhyped, and hyped again. If someone does not want to attend the chewtiyagiri which happens at these award functions, more power to him. Insult to the President? :laugh:What respect does someone like Pratibha Patil deserve anyway!
I wud say office of president should be respected Pratibha Patil remains a thug no doubt.. People forget this lady used cooperative bank to leech money from poorest of poor of India
Baah..........all awards are hyped, overhyped, and hyped again. If someone does not want to attend the chewtiyagiri which happens at these award functions, more power to him. Insult to the President? :laugh: What respect does someone like Pratibha Patil deserve anyway!
Very immature comment by you. So if the president is not according to your taste you wont respect him/her? She is still INDIA's president whether you like it or not. Whats next? If India suddenly falls into recessiona nd becomes a poor country you wont respect india as its no longer according to your taste? its not the person but the office which must be respected. And how are these award hyped? They are the highest form of civilian award in India and deserve the spotlight. They are much less hyped than say the knighthoods By insulting the award a person is insulting India.
Very immature comment by you. So if the president is not according to your taste you wont respect him/her? She is still INDIA's president whether you like it or not. Whats next? If India suddenly falls into recessiona nd becomes a poor country you wont respect india as its no longer according to your taste? its not the person but the office which must be respected. And how are these award hyped? They are the highest form of civilian award in India and deserve the spotlight. They are much less hyped than say the knighthoods By insulting the award a person is insulting India.
India can;t be insulted that easily.. These idiots have put a thug in President's chair.> I know that chair must be respected but congresis are workig hard to piss people off. Suddenly the President's chair which gained respect with Kalaam again has gone back to being what it used to be
Neither Bhajji nor Dhoni deserve that. You do realise that the award is across sports and not just cricket? How is Bhajji's achievement better than the guys who brought India a medal in the olympics?
It is very subjective to compare achievements across sports, so any argument their would be futile. You can however compare 2 cricketers.

If you don't insult and ignore thugs occupying prestigous positions how will the system ever improve? Corrupt people will replace more corrupt people. "Respecting" an office occupied by an unmerituous person is nothing short of sycophancy - the same trait displayed by Congress workers when they pay their dues to Madam Sonia.

My India is much greater than some two bit awards which are politically motivated half the time, awarded in typical sycophantic functions, and awarded by crooks. Sorry, I don't want anything to do with that India. If India becomes poor and goes into recession I'll do my bit to contribute to improve it. In fact my "respecting" these crooks people give legitimacy for more and more to occupy the top posts in India. It is the person who should command respect and not the office.

They don't even deserve the award in the 1st place, Dhoni is still just getting into it, he has a long way to go. Bhaji has been OK, but not that special. Some of the Olympic medal winners should have got it

If you don't insult and ignore thugs occupying prestigous positions how will the system ever improve? Corrupt people will replace more corrupt people. "Respecting" an office occupied by an unmerituous person is nothing short of sycophancy - the same trait displayed by Congress workers when they pay their dues to Madam Sonia.
:hatsoff:

If it's a state award and these guys didn't even bother to turn up to receive it then it's a shame. The highest honour you can get is the state award. I think they should not award guys such as this unless they are unable to make it either because they are bed ridden or if they are overseas or playing cricket during the ceremony. It's silly to say they didn't have time enough to make it for the ceremony in this time and age. How long does it take to fly to the captial from where they live? Couple of hours or three? It sounds pretty silly not having 3-4 hours to attend to a state ceremony. As many have said above they did not deserve this award and they have just proved that.

Whether the office is occupied by a thug or not isn't the issue. The award would've been given by Dr.Kalam had he still been the President - the players aren't being awarded by Pratibha Patil - but the President of India - regardless of who is in the seat. If you're unable to come to an award ceremony of 3 hours because those 3 hours would deprive you of seeing your family, it paints a pretty bleak picture of respect that you're giving the award.
Whether the office is occupied by a thug or not isn't the issue. The award would've been given by Dr.Kalam had he still been the President - the players aren't being awarded by Pratibha Patil - but the President of India - regardless of who is in the seat. If you're unable to come to an award ceremony of 3 hours because those 3 hours would deprive you of seeing your family' date=' it paints a pretty bleak picture of respect that you're giving the award.[/quote'] Replace Patil with Bush, and tell me it still doesn't matter who the president is?

Padma awards are not a matter of respect shown towards President or any other person ... not receiving an award for an ad shoot is an insult towards the nation .. and the BCCI recommends the player's name for the awards .. so the BCCI should have made sure that Dhoni and Bhajji came to collect the awards :mad: I believe the guys who got medals for us in the Olympics were much more deserving .. those wresters have been long forgotten by the country although they work harder than the cricketers .. and that too without even a fraction of the facility or money available to the cricketers .. and they just wanted a medal .. govt should have given those guys the Padma awards instead of the million dollar cricketers :(( At least I did not expect Mahi to act as such .. he is the captain of the Indian team and he should have respected a national award

At least I did not expect Mahi to act as such .. he is the captain of the Indian team and he should have respected a national award
They go for ad shoots, and if IPL ka-ching$$ committee organizes things they attend, but they could not make time to attend the Padma Shri award ceremony. Go figure.
They go for ad shoots' date=' and if IPL ka-ching$$ committee organizes things they attend, but they could not make time to attend the Padma Shri award ceremony. Go figure.[/quote'] As a matter of fact, Indian media went on to the extent to say that Dhoni and Bhajji not accepting the awards prove that the Indian cricketers play for BCCI and not for India :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

^ I dont remember if it was Lurker or who it was that wrote a couple of posts or so some months back - the new generation cricketers would do well to learn 'how to show respect and be humble' from people like SRT, RD, VVS, Kumble et.al. Those cricketers have lot more fame & fortune than any of these noobs, yet they are humble. These noob superstars, they dont have their feet on the ground and act as though they are Maharajahs or something.....well anyway, if I find that post it was well articulated there.