Dhoni and Harbhajan skip Padma shri award function

SachDan

Replace Patil with Bush' date=' and tell me it still doesn't matter who the president is?[/quote'] But Bush being President wouldnt devalue any awards America bestows to its citizens, will it? If an American athelete doesnt come to collect his award is he insulting Bush or America?
^ I dont remember if it was Lurker or who it was that wrote a couple of posts or so some months back - the new generation cricketers would do well to learn 'how to show respect and be humble' from people like SRT' date=' [b']RD, VVS, Kumble et.al. Those cricketers have lot more fame & fortune than any of these noobs, yet they are humble. These noob superstars, they dont have their feet on the ground and act as though they are Maharajahs or something.....well anyway, if I find that post it was well articulated there.
That is plain wrong. I can bet that Dhoni and most probably UV have already earned more fortune than RD,VVS and Kumble.
Baah..........all awards are hyped, overhyped, and hyped again. If someone does not want to attend the chewtiyagiri which happens at these award functions, more power to him. Insult to the President? :laugh: What respect does someone like Pratibha Patil deserve anyway!
LOL..ya, she is president ? more like a picked up pawn. What Personality. Whatever I see, she is standing either her hands folded or with a bouquet trying to greet someone These awards don't seem genuine anymore, but please it has to reported, it has to be in the media and it has to be talk about When elections are like a carnival..these awards are nothing but a farce

dhoni and bhajji shud not have done this....respecting the money from ads and putting aside an invaluable award.....they shud be penalised by doing that....there is a limit for everything...why hype someone to such an extent that he forgets that his feet are still touching the ground....dhoni has some serious attitude problems....and BHAJJI KO TOH MAANO BHOOLNE KI BIMARI HAI.....rite :haha: I think they shud have given to either The boxers or the gold medalist...Abhinav Bindra for his heroics in the Olympics JURY TOOK A WRONG STEP :((

^ I dont remember if it was Lurker or who it was that wrote a couple of posts or so some months back - the new generation cricketers would do well to learn 'how to show respect and be humble' from people like SRT' date=' RD, VVS, Kumble et.al. Those cricketers have lot more fame & fortune than any of these noobs, yet they are humble. These noob superstars, they dont have their feet on the ground and act as though they are Maharajahs or something.....well anyway, if I find that post it was well articulated there.[/quote'] What are you on about? These players play for the BCCI, one of the most greediest and power hungry sporting organisations in the world. The BCCI don't have the respect for these players or cricket, just the money that is generated by celebrity, it's why the BCCI don't give the time of day to other cricket in India (ICL, blind/women's cricket, domestic cricket etc). Domestic cricketers have to play with a limited amount of kookaburra balls because they are too "expensive." And you somehow expect these young players to be acting in the complete and opposite way? Get real, the tone is set from the top down not bottom up in any hierarchial organisation. It's the fans and the BCCI that set these players up to God status and when they act like it you somehow think it's wrong? :haha: How freakin' naive is that?

Criminal case filed against Dhoni and Bhajji

MUZAFFARPUR: A criminal case was filed in a court on Thursday accusing Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and off-spinner Harbhajan Singh with 'hurting' fans by staying away from the Padma awards function. Dhoni and Bhajji were to be honoured with the Padma Shree by President Pratibha Patil in New Delhi on Tuesday. Senior advocate Sudhir Kumar Ojha filed the case in the court of the CJM Ramdarash seeking to book the cricketers under sections 499 (defamation), 500 (punishment for defamation), 503 (criminal intimidation) and 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace). Ojha alleged that the two cricketers insulted fans and dishonoured the prestigious award by staying away from the function. The petition is likely to come up for hearing on Friday, he said
link Now that's uncalled for !
What are you on about? These players play for the BCCI, one of the most greediest and power hungry sporting organisations in the world. The BCCI don't have the respect for these players or cricket, just the money that is generated by celebrity, it's why the BCCI don't give the time of day to other cricket in India (ICL, blind/women's cricket, domestic cricket etc). Domestic cricketers have to play with a limited amount of kookaburra balls because they are too "expensive." And you somehow expect these young players to be acting in the complete and opposite way? Get real, the tone is set from the top down not bottom up in any hierarchial organisation. It's the fans and the BCCI that set these players up to God status and when they act like it you somehow think it's wrong? :haha: How freakin' naive is that?
I don't think the BCCI has anything to do with how players spend their personal time, neither it has anything to do with whether a player attends that ceremony or spend with family or friends or ad shooting. And I'm sure there players are not children that can't think on their own but have the brain to convert BCCI's greediness into ditching a state ceremony. But I'm so very freakin' naive :haha: PS: the point is, stop blaming BCCI for everything, these players are not mere puppets, specially where BCCI has no interest at all, and if you think so, pity on the players.
But Bush being President wouldnt devalue any awards America bestows to its citizens' date=' will it? If an American athelete doesnt come to collect his award is he insulting Bush or America?[/quote'] U r spot on .It is not about who is giving it,about the value and respect about civilian awards . That being said,they really spoiled the award by giving it to people like Aishwarya,Akshay Kumar and Harbhajjan.
Whether the office is occupied by a thug or not isn't the issue. The award would've been given by Dr.Kalam had he still been the President - the players aren't being awarded by Pratibha Patil - but the President of India - regardless of who is in the seat. If you're unable to come to an award ceremony of 3 hours because those 3 hours would deprive you of seeing your family' date=' it paints a pretty bleak picture of respect that you're giving the award.[/quote'] Of course it is the issue. I respect those people much more who took to streets protesting against Bush than those who "respected" his presidency. As I said this blind paying of dues to an office rather than the person occupying it is nothing short of sycophancy. And so what if the players don't have respect for the awards? So what if they value spending time with their family more or going to South Africa to do actual work rather than spend time sitting in some stupid function, listening to some dumb speeches by incompetent fools. They did not apply for the award - they were given the award and they accepted it. So what if they did not attend some farcical ceremony for it's felicitation? Heck, Sartre actually declined the Nobel Prize and is still considered one of the best thinker, writer and philosopher of the last century even though he said in as many words that he respected the institution felicitating him. I am not comparing Sartre to Dhoni or Harbhajan but making a broader point that these things are best left to the individual according to his priorities rather than making it a part of some false show of patriotism or some false pretense of respect. Would it have been any better if they actually went their against their will? Would that have satisfied the desire for respect and patriotism that posters here are baying for?

The difference is Sartre probably declined it for principle, like Tagore gave up the Knighthood. These guys did not decline the awards, but rather went for shooting ads in stead of the ceremony. Apples and oranges or Apples and rocks?

But Bush being President wouldnt devalue any awards America bestows to its citizens' date=' will it? If an American athelete doesnt come to collect his award is he insulting Bush or America?[/quote'] I think there were many more incidents of people declining felicitations during the Bush regime, but here is one :
The Design Observer Blog has a really interesting read about a group of National Design Awards winners. The award show is put on by the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum and are meant to honor the best in American design. This year, five of the winners in the Communication Design division declined an congratulatory invitation to the White House from First Lady Laura Bush. Their explanation to the First Lady was as follows: Dear Mrs. Bush: As American designers, we strongly believe our government should support the design profession and applaud the White House sponsorship of the Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum. And as finalists and recipients of the National Design Award in Communication Design we are deeply honored to be selected for this recognition. However, we find ourselves compelled to respectfully decline your invitation to visit the White House on July 10th. Graphic designers are intimately engaged in the construction of language, both visual and verbal. And while our work often dissects, rearranges, rethinks, questions and plays with language, it is our fundamental belief, and a central tenet of “good” design, that words and images must be used responsibly, especially when the matters articulated are of vital importance to the life of our nation. We understand that politics often involves high rhetoric and the shading of language for political ends. However it is our belief that the current administration of George W. Bush has used the mass communication of words and images in ways that have seriously harmed the political discourse in America. We therefore feel it would be inconsistent with those values previously stated to accept an award celebrating language and communication, from a representative of an administration that has engaged in a prolonged assault on meaning. While we have diverse political beliefs, we are united in our rejection of these policies. Through the wide-scale distortion of words (from “Healthy Forests” to “Mission Accomplished”) and both the manipulation of media (the photo op) and its suppression (the hidden war casualties), the Bush administration has demonstrated disdain for the responsible use of mass media, language and the intelligence of the American people. While it may be an insignificant gesture, we stand against these distortions and for the restoration of a civil political dialogue. The letter was signed by Michael Rock, Susan Sellers, Georgie Stout, Paula Scher and Stefan Sagmeister.
The difference is Sartre probably declined it for principle, like Tagore gave up the Knighthood. These guys did not decline the awards, but rather went for shooting ads in stead of the ceremony. Apples and oranges or Apples and rocks?
Not that I would have a problem with them even shooting for ads, but Harbhajan has categorically said he was spending time with his family and had some "serious issues" and Dhoni flew out to South Africa to actually work on his team preparation rather than waste time listening to some incompetent fools and smiling at cameras. I don't see how any of these reasons can be dismissed by anyone.
Could you explain that please ?
Aishwarya was a beauty queen and Akshay was a martial arts champion .Then what ?They are poor actors who haven't got any talent and making box office hits by gimmicks and luck .They are not doing any worthy contribution to Indian cinema .They are merely hyped up celebrities .Their name pop up and they were given awards simply .Plenty of deserved people out there from film industry and other areas . As for Harbhajjan i really love his commitment and passion for the game but not yet reached to get such civilian honour.Also part of some dirty controversies and flip flops . It is my personal opinion.When i heard these names, i got shocked .Don't ask me too much details,i just didn't feel like they are deserved .I am sure plenty of people felt the same . Do any of us shocked to see Tendulkar getting Padma awards .No one would .Thats it .