I Pee Later

flamy

My dad would be proud. I am in bed by 10 pm, set the alarm for 6 am, have a sandwich ready in the fridge and actually have a plan for the next day (well... at least half of it). I'm gonna wake up at 6 and run to stand under the shower to keep myself from nodding off. Brush them pearlies, race to my room and jump into my boxers while microwaving the sandwich. And then plop on the couch, fire up my laptop and take my first bite with the first ball. And then, an odd but familiar feeling whispers from my bladder. Arrrggghhh! I Pee Later! It's the IPL! Who'd have thought a league of motley crews would generate so much excitement and so much moolah? When it first started, I was quite bemused by it all. Hit and Giggle and all that, I was flabbergasted as to which team to follow. I could just pick the team from my city, but dearie, that is not so easy when you are like me - an Indian. There are a lot of identities to an Indian - I'm an almost Telugu feller living in Bangalore, born in Madras having spent most of my childhood in Orissa and Maharasthra. I love Delhi femmes, Bengali rossogollas and Punjabi music. One Fresh Identity Crisis to-go please? So, I just winged it in Season 1 cheering for all the Indian guys playing irrespective of the team. Officially, I opted for Bangalore Royal Challengers, Deccan Chargers and Chennai Super Kings. But, I just couldn't help but jump with joy when Sehwag smashed Symonds all over. And when Sehwag demanded the Hyderabad crowd to applaud his fifty, I was filled with the most eclectic mix of emotions - the short-circuit of incredulity, a whisper of indignation, the glow of wonder, an affirming warmth of pride, the goosebumps of patriotism, a gush of primal excitement and the soothing balm of unparalleled unity. I was sold. One of my teams made it to the finals and with it solidified my choice for Season 2 somewhat. It was a fitting finale to a great new avatar of my favourite sport. And now here it is - IPL Season 2. I still support BRC, CSK and DC. It is true hell when they face each other. But, I have begun to enjoy the team rivalries and all the joshing that comes with it. I have already committed blasphemy, brought out my inner regionalist and revved up my factory of under-the-belt potshots. So, to sport a cliche, Cricket sure unites us all. But, boy does the IPL make a mockery of that unity. OK, gotta pee now.