Most new players purchased in IPL 2 were huge failures

ViruRulez

Most of the new players purchased this year by the team owners for IPL 2 were huge failures. Many of them even did not make into the playing 11 even after half of IPL is over. Some examples are : KP who was a huge failure at $1.55 million Freddie was no good either at $1.55 million Mortaza who did not even play a single game till now although being bought at $600000 by KKR. I think Bhookha Naan is doing a mistake by not playing him because he is one of the top ranked players in ICC and maybe he could do well. Henderson was bought by RR for 600K but only played in one match. He should have been tried in a few matches as he was looking good even in the warm up game against Cobras. Collinwood and Shah for the DD went for waste too though it is understable. Similarly players like Ashraful went waste for MI which is also understable. Kyle Mills also did not get a single game at IPL 2. And frankly speaking most of the team owners are a bunch of fools who have not bought good players for smaller prices and instead opted for low grade cricketers at higher prices. :giggle: But still sad to see so many players and money going for waste

Most of the new players purchased this year by the team owners for IPL 2 were huge failures. Many of them even did not make into the playing 11 even after half of IPL is over. Some examples are : KP who was a huge failure at $1.55 million Freddie was no good either at $1.55 million Mortaza who did not even play a single game till now although being bought at $600000 by KKR. I think Bhookha Naan is doing a mistake by not playing him because he is one of the top ranked players in ICC and maybe he could do well. Henderson was bought by RR for 600K but only played in one match. He should have been tried in a few matches as he was looking good even in the warm up game against Cobras. Collinwood and Shah for the DD went for waste too though it is understable. Similarly players like Ashraful went waste for MI which is also understable. Kyle Mills also did not get a single game at IPL 2. And frankly speaking most of the team owners are a bunch of fools who have not bought good players for smaller prices and instead opted for low grade cricketers at higher prices. :giggle: But still sad to see so many players and money going for waste
This is really pathetic- waste of money!!!

One of IPL's biggest problems is the availability of players. It is tough to evaluate guys like Flintoff and KP on a half season. I mean Ricky Ponting is supposed to play for KKR, but the guy won't/can't show up. What was the point of picking him?

One of IPL's biggest problems is the availability of players. It is tough to evaluate guys like Flintoff and KP on a half season. I mean Ricky Ponting is supposed to play for KKR' date=' but the guy won't/can't show up. What was the point of picking him?[/quote'] Exactly opposite scenario for glenn MacGrath. He is available but DD won't/can't play him.

Exactly opposite scenario for glenn MacGrath. He is available but DD won't/can't play him.
I still feel McGrath will do better than Nannes for sure .. I want to see his bowling at least for a couple of matches and if he does not do well he can go to the bench once again

I still feel McGrath will do better than Nannes for sure .. I want to see his bowling at least for a couple of matches and if he does not do well he can go to the bench once again
Don't worry. At the rate DD is going they will soon qualify for the semis and then can use the remaining matches to test their bench strength.

Don't worry. At the rate DD is going they will soon qualify for the semis and then can use the remaining matches to test their bench strength.
I would like to see Glenn Bowl on Saf pitches. He will difficult to handle - for sure.

I agree that DD should qualify soon but at least McGrath can be tried in weaker oppositions like KKR, BRC etc. to test him if needed

I think most teams pick for "star" quality than actual performance. Mortaza :hehe: RR seem to be the only team with actual scouting. And also DD - they picked Warner before he played for Aus
I dont know why Preity Zinta and Juhi Chawla were fighting over Mortaza .. He was in the last set of players in the auction and betting for him started at merely 50K .. I dont understand why the feck they were fighting for him and went upto 600K for him These are the details of the purchases made in IPL 2 auction England Kevin Pietersen $1,550,000 Bangalore Royal Challengers Andrew Flintoff $1,550,000 Chennai Super Kings Ravi Bopara $450,000 Kings XI Punjab Owais Shah $275,000 Delhi Daredevils Paul Collingwood $275,000 Delhi Daredevils South Africa JP Duminy $950,000 Mumbai Indians Tyron Henderson $650,000 Rajasthan Royals Australia Shaun Tait $375,000 Rajasthan Royals George Bailey $50,000 Chennai Super Kings New Zealland Jesse Ryder $160,000 Bangalore Royal Challengers Kyle Mills $150,000 Mumbai Indians Bangladesh Mohammad Ashraful $75,000 Mumbai Indians Mashrafe Bin Mortaza $600,000 Kolkata Knight Riders West Indies Fidel Edwards $150,000 Hyderabad Deccan Chargers Dwayne Smith $100,000 Hyderabad Deccan Chargers Jerome Taylor $150,000 Kings XI Punjab Sri Lanka Thilan Tushara $140,000 Chennai Super Kings

The details of the betting were as follows: Round One English duo of Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff attracted largest bids going for identical USD 1,550,000 each to at the auction for the second season of Indian Premier League at Goa on Friday. As the first round of bidding got underway, Vijay Mallya’s Royal Challengers made the successful bid for Pietersen while Flintoff joins Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni at Chennai Super Kings. They also overtook Dhoni as most expensive players in the IPL. He had fetched $ 1.5 million at Chennai last year. Mumbai Indians made a successful bid for South African JP Duminy at USD 950,000 while Australian tear-way pacer Shaun Tait was lapped up by defending champions Rajasthan Royals for USD 375,000. Mallya, whose fondness for Pietersen is no secret was understandably elated. "I was always keen to get Pietersen,” he said. “He would be a superb addition to the team. We had a list of players before the auction and KP topped that list. We needed to strengthen our batting and I was prepared to pay more for him." "It is a worthwhile investment and ensure the balance that we wanted in our team", he said. Mallya also refused to comment on speculations that Rahul Dravid would be stripped of captaincy in favour of Pietersen. Round Two In the second round of bidding, the GMR Group owned Delhi Daredevils got the English pair of Owais Shah for USD 275,000, Paul Collingwood for USD 275,000, while West Indian quickie Fiedel Edwards went for his base price of USD 150,000 to Deccan Chargers Sri Lanka’s middle-order batsman Chamara Kapugedara and Australian wicket-keeper Brad Haddin, who had base prices of USD 150,000 did not attract any buyers at the bidding and were left unsold. Round Three A surprisingly ferocious battle ensued for uncapped South African Tyron Henderson, before he was finally bagged by the Rajasthan Royals for USD 650,000. Australia’s Phil Jaques, and South African Ashwell Prince were left unsold while England’s all-rounder Ravi Bopara at USD 450,000, became King’s XI Punjab’s first purchase at the bidding. Sri Lanka’s Nuwan Kulasekara was unsold while Thilan Tushara was brought over by Chennai Super Kings for USD 140,000. Luke Wright of England too went unsold. Royal Challengers made a successful bid for New Zealand’s Jesse Ryder at USD 160,000 while his team-mate Kyle Mills for USD 150,000. South African bowler Andre Nel, who donned Mumbai Indians colours last year, remained unsold. Round Four An epic battle, bordering on comical at times, ensued for Bangladesh’s only player sold- Mashrafe Bin Mortaza, which was the highlight of the fourth round. Starting from a base price of USD 50,000, an epic clash between Preity Zinta of Mohali and Juhi Chawla of KKR, saw Mortaza’s worth plummet to a whopping USD 600,000 before latter finally clinched the deal. West Indian all-rounder Dwayne Smith and fast bowler Jerome Taylor, fetched USD 150,000 each from Deccan Chargers and Kings XI Punjab respectively. Rakib-Al-Hasan, Tamim Iqbal and Mohammad Ashraful of Bangladesh, James Franklin of New Zealand, Morne Van Wyk of South Africa, Samit Patel of England, Steven Smith, Ashley Noffkle, Michael Dighton, Jonathan Moss, Bryce McGain, Michael Dighton, Michael Hill of Australia drew blank at the auction. IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi said that the contracts of all the auctioned players will be for two years. With a total of USD 13.59 million in their pocket, the eight Indian Premier League franchisees have the option of buying 17 players from a pool of 50. In the auction, 18 players from Australia, seven from England, five from Sri Lanka, three from New Zealand, seven from South Africa, six from West Indies and four from Bangladesh were up for grabs. Prior to the bidding, Chennai Super Kings had the maximum spending limit of upto USD two million for two slots. The Deccan Chargers USD had 1.9 million for two slots, the Knight Riders had USD 1.21 for one slot, the Kings' XI Punjab USD had 1.45 million for two spots, Mumbai Indians USD had 1.76 million for three slots, Rajasthan Royals USD 1.875 million had two slots and finally Bangalore Royal Challengers with USD 1.945 for two slots.