I may not return for IPL next year - McGrath

vvvslaxman

Mcgrath may not return next year Indian Premier League 2009 I may not return for IPL next year - McGrath Cricinfo staff May 22, 2009 103794.2.jpgDelhi haven't given Glenn McGrath a game this season © Getty Images Glenn McGrath has expressed his disappointment at not being given a chance by the Delhi Daredevils to prove his fitness during this season's IPL. He is contracted with Delhi next year as well, but McGrath hinted that he may not return for the 2010 season. The 39-year-old McGrath, who retired after the 2007 World Cup, played almost every game for Delhi in the inaugural IPL and was among the stand-out bowlers in that tournament. However, with Victoria fast bowler Dirk Nannes being outstanding this season, and the Indian pace contingent of Ashish Nehra, Pradeep Sangwan and Aavishkar Salvi performing consistently, McGrath has been on the sidelines this year. "It has been hard to be a part of the bench, and I was hoping for a game during the league stage," he wrote in his column in the Hindustan Times. "I have asked a couple of people about why I was not being played, and I get the sense that they were worried about my fitness. I feel fitter than I did last year, but I guess I will not get a chance to prove that now." McGrath, who was signed by Delhi for US$350,000, went on to suggest that he may not be back for the next season. "I am contracted for another year with Delhi, but that is a long way away. Right now, I would not bet on myself returning." Delhi has been the most impressive side of the tournament so far, finishing on top after the league stage, and take on Deccan Chargers in the first semi-final at Centurion on Friday. © Cricinfo

Shane warne is around the same age. So i am not even sure why they keep leaving him out even for dead rubbers. If you look at lazy guys lists you would not find a single Aussie there regardless of the age. It will mostly be us. Munaf, Tyagi, Gony..etc.

McGrath, I like you as a player, but come on, you got paid close to .5 million $$ for warming the seat Dream Job with dream pay. What is there not to like ?
For one thing he deserves some respect. It is pointless to be worrying about his fitness without even giving him a chance. I am disappointed with Delhi Management. Hope they lose badly. very very badly.

well it is sad to see macgrath sitting on the bench! he's always been an underrated bowler....one of my fav's though! any competetive cricketer and esp like macgrath would like to play rather then sittin on the bench (piad or not paid)

Shane warne is around the same age. So i am not even sure why they keep leaving him out even for dead rubbers. If you look at lazy guys lists you would not find a single Aussie there regardless of the age. It will mostly be us. Munaf' date=' Tyagi, Gony..etc.[/quote']
For one thing he deserves some respect. It is pointless to be worrying about his fitness without even giving him a chance. I am disappointed with Delhi Management. Hope they lose badly. very very badly.
come on,fast bowlers are different from spinners.spinners n batsmen get better with age.Fast bowlers are their best wen they r young or wen they r around 30.n wen delhi have options,why would they play McGrath?wat purpose does it serve?

just because macgrath isnt playing...wouldnt want delhi to loose thatz a loose statement buddy!

come on' date='fast bowlers are different from spinners.spinners n batsmen get better with age.Fast bowlers are their best wen they r young or wen they r around 30.n wen delhi,why would they play McGrath?wat purpose does it serve?[/quote'] Agreed. But they could have played him in dead rubbers or made him a bolwing coach instead of asking him to sit out.

come on' date='fast bowlers are different from spinners.spinners n batsmen get better with age.Fast bowlers are their best wen they r young or wen they r around 30.n wen delhi,why would they play McGrath?[b']wat purpose does it serve?
Same purpose why you would play Nannes. In South African conditions most fast bowlers are going to do well. Even trundlers do well if you are accurate. The most accurate bowler Test cricket has ever seen is going to struggle? He did well last year. Why do you think he won't do well this year in better conditions. I like to watch some great players in action again. So it is a disappointment.

Its a franchise, not a mutual admiration society, past performances doesnt count, the management are here to do a job, if they feel a certain player isnt matching the fitness standards required, they are well within their right to take stern decisions, in fact you are being disrespectful to the likes of Nannes, Nehra and Sangwan who have put in commendable performances thoughout this Tournament. The Delhi Management is treating the squad with a degree of equality, which i like, McGrath is one of my bowling idols too, i would love to see him bowl, but if the management thinks its not in the best interest of the team and so be it, If Glenn is pissed off with the Team, i think he can be asked to pick another Team for next season.

DC are not playing Laxman too.who would u wanna lose:cantstop:

come on' date='fast bowlers are different from spinners.spinners n batsmen get better with age.Fast bowlers are their best wen they r young or wen they r around 30.n wen delhi,why would they play McGrath?wat purpose does it serve?[/quote'] I rem macgrath being lethal at the end of his career! he retired at a high point in his career and was delhi's best bowler last season! one of the reasons macgrath not being in the team is because of nehra, salvi and sanwan doing well and obv only 4 int players allowed in a team!

Same purpose why you would play Nannes. In South African conditions most fast bowlers are going to do well. Even trundlers do well if you are accurate. The most accurate bowler Test cricket has ever seen is going to struggle? He did well last year. Why do you think he won't do well this year in better conditions. I like to watch some great players in action again. So it is a disappointment.
Nannes is 31,is fast can get wickets.McGrath hadn't bowled a ball for a year.Nannes was given chances n he has grabbed them.so his is justified inclusion.by purpose,i meant playing him in Dead Rubbers?if he had done well in Dead rubbers,would u have left out Nannes of S/F?

Laxman is never a regular ODI player. But Mcgrath was part of world cup winning side thrice. We are comparing Nannes with Mcgrath.
I AM NOT discounting McGrath past achievements,no doubt he was a legend,but fast bowling is a physically Demanding job n u cant take it beyond certain age.Pollock was also a legend,why do u think he chose to be a coach of MI ,he could have also played,na?