Time to Leave Australia ?

Desi Cartman

Ok another one now

MELBOURNE (AFP) — Another attack on an Indian student was reported in Australia on Wednesday as authorities step up efforts to stop the assaults, which have turned a police matter into a diplomatic embarrassment. Police said a 21-year-old Indian student was confronted on Tuesday evening by five men in the car park of a college campus in the suburbs of the southern city of Melbourne, where many of the attacks have taken place. They demanded money and cigarettes from the man, then attacked him when he refused to comply, with one slashing him across the chest with a weapon believed to be a box cutter, causing minor lacerations. Police said the attack was not believed to be racially motivated. But it is the latest in a wave of assaults on Indian students that media in the South Asian country have dubbed "curry bashings", splashing with headlines such as "Australia, land of racists." Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd called his counterpart Manmohan Singh last month to assure him about student safety in the country amid reports some Indian parents were fearful of sending their children to the country. Latest available police figures say 1,447 people of Indian origin were robbed or assaulted in Victoria state in 2007-2008, although students from the country say they have risen since then. Many of the most serious cases occurred in the western suburbs of the state capital Melbourne, where police estimate Indians account for about 30 percent of all robbery and assault victims

AN Australian website urging a "hate offensive" against Indians was condemned as "disgusting", while fears grow that racial tensions will escalate. For the past six months, Melbourne man Patrick O’Sullivan has posted comments onto a white supremacy forum about how “evil” Indians were and urged others to participate in a “Summer hate offensive” in the Victorian city. In a post just before Christmas, he asked for people to call him if they wanted to participate. “For those of you in or nearby Melbourne, contact me. This summer a lot of Race Hate is occurring! RAHOWA!” RAHOWA is understood to stand for Racial Holy War. Senior police and Indian students deplored the web comments but police said they doubted they had caused a spate of assaults on Indian students, despite members of the forum pledging to join in the "offensive". Mr O’Sullivan, who was jailed in 2002 for stabbing a man who accused him of not being a Nazi due to his Irish blood, told news.com.au that the posts were not intended to incite violence and that he was now a peaceful man. He said his rallying call for a “Summer hate offensive” was a peaceful way to recruit people into the Creativity Movement, whose website describes itself as a “Progressive Pro-White Religion”. In late November, Mr O’Sullivan posted a comment – using the name “RAWHOWA NOW” - on a neo-Nazi forum which said he was sick of “Dirty F**king Indians”. “They infest the Melbourne area. I could write all day (about) how evil and putrid those scum are... one particularly infuriating thing about these curry n*ggers is their arrogance,” he said. “I think this may seem (to have originated) from the apathy of Whites not putting tem (sic) in their place. Those browm (sic) maggots used to get spat on, tolchocked and on occasion even stabbed and/or hospitalised. "I'm not saying to commit illegal acts, violence etc. This is merely and observation of mine." Amit Menghani, president of the Federation of Indian Students in Australia, said he thinks the comments were promoting “curry-bashing”. The term “curry-bashing” is used to describe the hunting down of Indians and beating them. “This kind of provocation must stop,” Mr Menghani said. “It’s absolutely disgusting.” Victorian Police commander Trevor Carter, whose beat covers Melbourne’s west, said that although the comments were “appalling”, the attacks on students were not believed to be racially motivated. “There is an element of (racism), but the purpose is to steal property from people,” Mr Carter said. Meanwhile The Australian reports that Indians in Australia are concerned an increasingly "hysterical" reaction in India and among local protestors to assaults and robberies on foreign students could create a backlash against their community. Raj Natarajan, the outgoing president of the United Indian Associations of New South Wales, said his organisation was concerned about the "flow-on effect" for Australians of Indian background. "I am proud to look like an Indian," he said. "I don't want to look any other way. But I and my family are Australian citizens, and we are also proud of Australian society. It is tolerant, multicultural and friendly. "These attacks are a worrying trend, but I don't believe they are racially motivated. "Indian kids who live here are not complaining. They're perfectly happy. They have lots of friends in the broader Australian community, and many are married to Aussies." On Sunday, Indian students blocked city streets in protest of a wave of up to 70 violent attacks against them in the past year but the protest itself turned into clashes with police. Mr Natarajan sought to distance the broader Indian community from the rally, saying it was organised by visiting foreign students. "It might have an impact on us by creating a backlash," he said.

there are many hate websites in the US and the UK .. I saw a doco about these idiots last weekend. As for the latest attack .. again it was robbery .. where does it say its a hate crime ? I think there are some attacks which were to hurt the person due to his race but most attacks have been to get money

Guest Hiten.

The backlash of these attacks will be bad for tourists in India. Indians have been hostile towards foreigners and I fear these incidents might just escalate things a bit more. Problem with Aussie govt/police's solution of not showing off your "cool gadgets" while travelling alone late nights is very ad-hoc as it is along the similar lines of teaching women self defensive techniques in case some one tries to assault her; rather than making the law tougher for anyone who even thinks about assaulting a woman.

No, no no, stop, just stop and hold on for a moment :orderorder: :protest: I am sorry but if you're coming to another land out of your own free will for purposes of study, settling down etc, the land that you come to doesn't owe you any special favors and the impetus is on you to make a sincere effort to fit in by respecting the new lands culture, language and traditions
:finger: So when did white Australia make the attempt to act like native Australians? :hysterical:

Ya' date=' I knew I couldn't trust TOI.[/quote'] The media will always try and give one side of the story and make it sound as bad as they possibly can, maybe even make some stuff up along the way. As for this Patrick O’Sullivan guy on behalf of all of Australia I hope an Indian bashes the crap out of him and shoves some curry down his throat! That may shut him up!!! He says they're arrogant but from what I read he's the one who sounds arrogant to me. Another thing though that I have to say is although some of it is to do with racism, it is probably true that a lot of it is to do with stealing as well. A lot of Australians get bashed by Australians too, a lot!! There is a small level of racism and that will always be there unfortunately! Those who call Australians racists because of these attacks I have no respect for.

:finger: So when did white Australia make the attempt to act like native Australians? :hysterical:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Frankly speaking the white Australians are not native as most of them are the colonized Aussies from British and according to sree's post, they should be acting like native Australians... I dont think these regionalism, culture etc. makes much sense in today's world .. it is not like a few centuries ago where every place have a different culture and way of living ... nowadays the world is changing and we have to respect each and every culuture and live according to our own way.. we should not just copy Australians for the sake of living in Australians.. in this 21st century it is for every person to realize that it will always be a mixed society nowadays

The backlash of these attacks will be bad for tourists in India. Indians have been hostile towards foreigners and I fear these incidents might just escalate things a bit more. Problem with Aussie govt/police's solution of not showing off your "cool gadgets" while travelling alone late nights is very ad-hoc as it is along the similar lines of teaching women self defensive techniques in case some one tries to assault her; rather than making the law tougher for anyone who even thinks about assaulting a woman.
I agree that media is making up a lot of things about racism.. but even if it is not racism then too it needs to made sure by Australian govt. that there is no such incidents in even major Australian cities .. bhai Australian govt. has said that India is not very safe and did not send their Davis cup team for a match in Chennai.. but frankly speaking I dont think such crimes occur in Chennai regularly as it does in Australian cities.. so how the feck is Australia safe compared to India .. and if Aussie govt. believes that India is not safe then the whole world should also say that Australia is not safe .. crimes are more in Australian cities than maybe in India .. you hardly find these stabbing, roberies etc. in public places in Indian metros If I go by the logic that some criminals are found everywhere then why did the Australian govt. not allow its players to visit India to play in the Davis Cup a couple of months ago.. it was in Chennai and it is quite a safe place .. anyways in India there has been hardly any attacks on foreigners .. anytime there is any attack on foreigners Indian govt. takes serious action againt the guilty .. we respect people from other countries and make sure of their safety and Aussie govt. should also do so Frankly speaking even Australian govt. knew that it was completely safe to send the tennis players for Davis cup as they will be given top class security as is given to any international or even domestic player .. so they could have sent their players but they refused to send them citing security concerns when there was none.. so I dont see how Indian govt. and Indian media being proactive about security of our citizens in their country makes any difference.. Australian govt. did not have any concern for these attacks until India raised them .. these indients did not get even a mention in Australian media before this and so this shows that they are not concerned.. there is a racist element or you could have never turned a blind eye to such incidents for so long

You're putting words in my mouth in the same manner you cram artificial facts into your head Opportunistic crimes committed on soft targets by despicable thugs != Colonization of Australia.

You're putting words in my mouth in the same manner you cram artificial facts into your head Opportunistic crimes committed on soft targets by despicable thugs != Colonization of Australia.
Letterman!!B->B->
Lol, exactly. Thats blatant plagarism. Hint; Watch Letterman's interview with Bill 'O Reilly