The Angelo Matthews Fielding

flamy

why is no one discussing this? :giggle: I did this a couple of times in my gully. Last ball six needed and the dumbass batter had no decency and did hit it well enough. I went over the rope before the ball could reach me, and ran back in and jumped and kept the ball inside. I almost took the catch but i spilled the ball after my face hit the sand. :(( Knives were out. :angelic:

he crossed the boundary and even though he was in the air while he pushed the ball, he was entirely behind the boundary - does this mean fielders can now position themselves beyond boundary, as they see the ball soar up, and just 'volley ball' it from completely behind the boundary.

he crossed the boundary and even though he was in the air while he pushed the ball, he was entirely behind the boundary - does this mean fielders can now position themselves beyond boundary, as they see the ball soar up, and just 'volley ball' it from completely behind the boundary.
:agree:

>does this mean fielders can now position themselves beyond boundary, as they see the ball soar up, and just 'volley ball' it from completely behind the boundary. if they do so, it means you are not on the field, so no action of yours is counted. Matthews never touched the boundary whenver he was in contact with the ball, so thats why it was not declared six.

does this mean fielders can now position themselves beyond boundary, as they see the ball soar up, and just 'volley ball' it from completely behind the boundary.
No thats a no ball because in that case only 10 fielders are within the boundary ropes at the time of delivery

^ not at the time of delivery. But as they see the ball leave the bat and starts to climb. If a strong Yuvi or Gayle shot, then make a judgement call that no point patrolling the boundary rope, tradeoff the catch opportunity, go beyond the boundary and position yourself and see if you can atleast prevent the sixer by the volleyball fielding?

>But as they see the ball leave the bat and starts to climb. If a strong Yuvi or Gayle shot, then make a judgement call that no point patrolling the boundary rope, tradeoff the catch opportunity, go beyond the boundary and see if you can atleast prevent the sixer? Three Cheers for this Fineleg.

^ not at the time of delivery. But as they see the ball leave the bat and starts to climb. If a strong Yuvi or Gayle shot, then make a judgement call that no point patrolling the boundary rope, tradeoff the catch opportunity, go beyond the boundary and see if you can atleast prevent the sixer?
wouldnt you term it poor cricket, to save a freak 6 you have fielders outside boundary meaning batsman can convert 2 to 3 by the way i dont think its a no ball if less than 11 are inside ropes

I was there, and thought they would have judged it as a 6, purely from the fact that he was not in the playing field at the time of jumping, even though in the air when he pushed it out...most people thought that was it, it just makes sense. But still, incredible idea...was great to see.

Very good point. If he had thrown up the ball while being inside the boundary, over-balanced, crossed the boundary ropes without his feet touching the ground and THEN, had he knocked the ball back into the playing area while still being air-borne, that could have been construed as a save. (Remember, him crossing the boundary rope, throwing the ball in the air and palming it back in should all be done while he's still air-borne) But, as you mentioned, he had well and truly crossed the boundary rope, since both his feet had touched the ground. So, he's totally out of the playing area himself. So, anything he does beyond then is invalid. Once he crosses the boundary fully, he's as good as a spectator. That should have been given a six. It was as good as a spectator palming the ball back into the playing field, while sitting in the stands, or a Basketball player making a pass while he was out of bounds. Both of them do not count.
my problem with the decesion is that the fielder was already outside the boundary before he jumped and then he also landed outside the boundary so technically he wasnt even in the field.Should have been given as a 6
if a batsman hits a 6 , at what point are runs awarded and ball declared dead ? as soon as ball crosses boundary line but still in air or when it hits ground/stand ?

3. Scoring a boundary (a) A boundary shall be scored and signalled by the umpire at the bowler’s end whenever, while the ball is in play, in his opinion (i) the ball touches the boundary, or is grounded beyond the boundary (ii) a fielder, with some part of his person in contact with the ball, touches the boundary or has some part of his person grounded beyond the boundary.. (b) The phrases ‘touches the boundary’ and ‘touching the boundary’ shall mean contact with either (i) the boundary edge as defined in 2 above or (ii) any person or obstacle within the field of play which has been designated a boundary by the umpires before the toss. © The phrase ‘grounded beyond the boundary’ shall mean contact with either (i) any part of a line or a solid object marking the boundary, except its boundary edge or (ii) the ground outside the boundary edge or (iii) any object in contact with the ground outside the boundary edge.

of course there must be some laws and thats why the umpire didnt give it as a 6 or 4 .. but my point is that we need new and a better law regarding this. Its silly that a fielder goes outside the boundary .. jumps a little and pushes the ball back and the lands outside the boundary .. Its just silly

I've always held the view that cricket should have a similar rule as that in basketball and American football. That is, once you step out of bounds, you have to re-establish yourself by stepping back inbound before you are allowed the handle the ball. The rule almost already applies to situations where a fielder slides into the boundary to stop a 4 and then comes back in to retrieve the ball. Edit: In fact, I sort of thought a rule like that already existed, because in previous instances where the player's momentum carries them out of bounds, I always noticed that the fielder makes sure to ground themselves inbound before touching the ball again.