The Angelo Matthews Fielding

flamy

I looked at the video and it seemed perfectly legal to me. For legality - I think there are only two questions 1. once the ball/fielder is outside the boundary - but in the air can it be handled or not. 2. once the fidler is outside the boundary - can the distance travelled by him be counted as a legal save? Today these questions are being answered with a yes. Hence it's not a six.

I've always held the view that cricket should have a similar rule as that in basketball and American football. That is' date= once you step out of bounds, you have to re-establish yourself by stepping back inbound before you are allowed the handle the ball. The rule almost already applies to situations where a fielder slides into the boundary to stop a 4 and then comes back in to retrieve the ball. Edit: In fact, I sort of thought a rule like that already existed, because in previous instances where the player's momentum carries them out of bounds, I always noticed that the fielder makes sure to ground themselves inbound before touching the ball again.
^ Exactly. BTW - welcome back, kablooee
The ball has not landed outside the boundary.
Can you place a fielder in the second tier of the Lord's balcony and ask him to jump up and punch the ball over the ropes back into the field? Can this be claimed as a valid save? Its indeed a loophole in cricket laws, but common sense should prevail.
Can you place a fielder in the second tier of the Lord's balcony and ask him to jump up and punch the ball over the ropes back into the field? Can this be claimed as a valid save? Its indeed a loophole in cricket laws' date=' but common sense should prevail.[/quote'] Fielders should be within the field of play when the ball is delivered, for it to be deemed legal.
Guest Hiten.

Placing a fielder outside the boundary is different that a fielder who while attempting to catch the ball loses balance, control and goes outside and tries to keep the ball alive. Angelo Matthews did what Chaminda Vaas did in WC 1999 and this is perfectly fine, IMO.

I don't see anything wrong with it. At no point did the fielder make contact with the ball while standing outside the boundary' date=' which conforms to the rule, hence not a 6.[/quote'] So by that theory, a fielder can stand in the crowd, catch the ball while in the air, keep lobbing it up in the air while jumping, at the same time walk into the ground, get onto to field and then take the catch? I think that while touching the ball, your foot should be in contact with the ground within the field, or if you are in the air, the last contact with the ground should be within the field.
So by that theory, a fielder can stand in the crowd, catch the ball while in the air, keep lobbing it up in the air while jumping, at the same time walk into the ground, get onto to field and then take the catch? I think that while touching the ball, your foot should be in contact with the ground within the field, or if you are in the air, the last contact with the ground should be within the field.
Fielders should be within the field of play when the ball is delivered' date=' for it to be deemed legal.[/quote']

I remember a similar stunt by Keith Arthurton in the QF against SA in WC'96. But this is another ridiculous rule in cricket. When the fielder touches the rope while in contact with ball it is deemed as four but as long as he keeps the ball in play by not making contact with the ground, it is perfectly legal! Just plain stupidity. Apart from reversing this I would like the following rules to be imparted as well. 1. When a fielder hits the stumps then the ball should be declared dead, bastmen cant take advanatge on overthrow. I think you should not punish the fielders for hitting the stumps and this ruling allows them to take their chances as well. 2. If a batsman gets out on a free hit but makes some runs still (when the ball is in air etc) then those runs shouldnt be credited to the total.

So by that theory, a fielder can stand in the crowd, catch the ball while in the air, keep lobbing it up in the air while jumping, at the same time walk into the ground, get onto to field and then take the catch? I think that while touching the ball, your foot should be in contact with the ground within the field, or if you are in the air, the last contact with the ground should be within the field.
No. A fielder has to be on the field when the ball is bowled otherwise it will be a no-ball. If he can run back into the crowd(after the shot has been played), keep jumping in the air and keep parrying the ball back on the field, forget the catch, he deserves a Nobel prize for extreme gymnastics.
No. A fielder has to be on the field when the ball is bowled otherwise it will be a no-ball. If he can run back into the crowd(after the shot has been played)' date=' keep jumping in the air and keep parrying the ball back on the field, forget the catch, he deserves a Nobel prize for extreme gymnastics.[/quote'] If not running back in the crowd, can he take a few steps back after the shot has been played and wait outside field for the ball to arrive to him so that he can jump up and palm the ball back into the field? I think the fielder's last contact with the ground when he palmed the ball back while jumping up in air should have been inside the field and not outside!