Where is the Indian team heading ?

Where is the Indian team heading ?  

1. 1.

• they are a mediocre T20 team because of the inabilities of their fast bowlers
    • they will struggle on pitches with something in it for the bowlers
    • they cant play short pitched bowling-not even a single player,no inprovement possible
    • we are not even good against spin .
    • this tournament was an aberration and we will bounce back

lets get out this in the open shall we?.many believe that this tema is not right and will struggle in the future in all formats because they cant play short pitched stuff and (gasp)spin.they have come to realization after one bad torunament after a string of victories in many countries on the surfaces they have been asked to play.

Lets think about it CBF. I won't talk about the Tests here because whether we lost or won, the main contributions have come from our middle-order, and in one or two series, Zaheer/Ishant. This "new team" was only brought in since the CB Series, so lets count from there (counting after the T20 WC): T20I vs Australia, Mumbai: Gambhir's 75 wins us the match against Australia's 166 T20I vs. Australia, MCG: 76 All out. 'Nuff said. CB Series: Tendulkar's contribution in the finals and Gambhir's and Dhoni's consistency during the league matches led to our victory. Not to mention Dhoni's contribution as a captain played a major role too. IPL 2008 - Raina shows what he's capable of. A bunch of talented young Indian players come to the fore. Kitply Cup: Pakistan Win after we pwn their team in the league match and we pwn Bangladesh. Asia Cup: We win against all but Sri Lanka. Sehwag goes at 70+ runs on the board. India collapse to a below 200 total against Mendis, who gets 6/13 with Yuvraj, moving away from a fast straight one - YET AGAIN, and getting bowled. Sri Lanka ODI Series: Dhoni comes back from a break, and together with Raina, along with a meaningful contribution from Virat, wins the series 3-2. Dhoni gets the Man of the Series, and Indians claim that they've figured out how to play Mendis well. We get pasted in the 5th ODI, getting owned by more than 100 runs. England ODI Series: 5-0. Yuvraj owns all of their bowlers. Sehwag murders. We win. Sri Lanka ODI Series: 4-1. Yuvraj does well against Mendis. Wins the Man of the Series. Sehwag again does well against the spinners. Sachin's contribution is nothing thanks to Kumar Dharmasena and his fellow umpires. Sri Lanka T20I: Chasing 170 odd, we are kept at 115/7 with Dhoni out, and having played slowly. In the middle overs, it was a rookie part-time spinner who'd kept us quiet until Yusuf and Irfan bail us out with some mad hitting. New Zealand T20Is: India touted to win both of them, lose both, 2nd one on the last ball. Over-confidence is stated as a reason for our loss. Dhoni doesn't play well in either T20. New Zealand ODI Series: Sehwag eats hobbits alive. Tendulkar makes them regret choosing bowling as their career option. Yuvraj has a good series. The ball nips around a little bit in the 5th ODI, and we capitulate for a very small total of ~150 with Sehwag scoring 40 runs at a very quick pace. No Tendulkar in the 5th ODI. World T20: We get owned by England and WI's pace/bounce, and SA's spinners. ------------------- In all of the above, Gambhir is the only one who's showed consistency across all the formats ----------------------- So there you have it. Thats the past record. Given this track record, we've done well where the ball has not done much, and have failed without Tendulkar/Sehwag when the conditions helped the bowlers a little bit. Its a fact thats hidden underneath statements such as 'everyone in the Indian lineup can clear the ropes'. Having said that, I think all the players are talented enough to overcome their struggles against certain type of deliveries. I expect a few more teams to exploit our weaknesses. The WI series ahead should be interesting. The Champions Trophy is later this year in SA, and should Tendulkar/Sehwag play, I'd give us a good chance at the title but in the immediate future, it looks a little bleak. Our test successes shouldn't get affected, AFAIK, knowing how Dravid, Tendulkar, and Laxman can all handle the short-ball well.

I don't think we'll bounce back. I think we can bounce back. It all depends on how the team is managed. There are some worrying signs though. Dhoni as the new Dravid. Ishant turning into a trundler. Injuries piling up because our players are playing non-stop. We need to stop all these meaningless ODI series. What is the point of them? I remember seeing an article in Cricinfo, the end of year review. They said that something like 350+ ODIs had been played in a year. I mean come on. Mind you saying that there is a gap of around two months this year, August and most of September. Maybe we'll see IPL 3 pencilled in by Modi for this gap in the schedule.

So there you have it. Thats the past record. Given this track record, we've done well where the ball has not done much, and have failed without Tendulkar/Sehwag when the conditions helped the bowlers a little bit. Its a fact thats hidden underneath statements such as 'everyone in the Indian lineup can clear the ropes'.
And there's another problem. We need batsmen who can play on difficult pitches. Like Boycott said recently, 'India don't have Test Match ready replacements'.

that a good point graph but we can only play on surfaces that are made available to us.why didnt the the kiwis prepare greentops for the odis?.is is because they knew we had better fast bowlers than them at that time?.the point is we dont know,the team can only play on the tracks that are presented to them.lets hope the WICB miraculously transforms the dull sabina park pitch and really test our players-if not we still have to play on ptches presented to us.

that a good point graph but we can only play on surfaces that are made available to us.why didnt the the kiwis prepare greentops for the odis?.is is because they knew we had better fast bowlers than them at that time?.
I agree. But if you look at the losses (barring the SL ODi series), most of them have come in conditions that were conducive to bowling, and not flat-tracks. There's a reason why people are saying we are very strong contenders for '11 WC because I don't think theres a better team for the subcontinental conditions.
the point is we dont know,the team can only play on the tracks that are presented to them.lets hope the WICB miraculously transforms the dull sabina park pitch and really test our players-if not we still have to play on ptches presented to us.
Doesn't matter whether they transform them into bouncy pitches or not. I think Edwards is more than capable of bowling a 10-over spell with hostility. Combine that with Taylor's occasional brilliance, we'll have our hands full without a bouncy pitch. Should India win, then our captain and Gambhir has to make a significant contribution to the team total, and as far as the former is concerned, in the field as well. I don't expect Badrinath, Vijay, Rohit, Jadeja, and the likes to have a great series because its their first time around, and based on what I've seen, they're no Sunny G. Yuvraj is our trump card. I don't know whether he'll fire or not.

enough of this' bounce' nonsense the only one who struggled was Raina ; who as soon as we lost of SA announced he has a thumb fracture; rest were just uncomfortable wearing fav tags ; we lost 2 close games not like we were completly outplayed; in the first game yuvraj brought us back, against eng it was spinners and then yusuf we didnt do well because of missing V-factor at top of the order once he returns we will be fine. Besides who wants to be t20 champ for 9 months, we will win it next time so that we have rights for next 2 yrs:winky:

India is still very good in other 2 formats. Come on guys. Let us not be pessimistic. For the first time in years India is having such a brilliant spin attack. Mishra' date= Harbhajan, Ojha, Chawla.
so if you lose to WI in ODI will you reduce it to 1 format ? We are still a good T20 side; 9 months from now when we lift the cup again all will be forgotten
so if you lose to WI in ODI will you reduce it to 1 format ? We are still a good T20 side; 9 months from now when we lift the cup again all will be forgotten
In T20 format lot of weaknesses have crept in. Until they fix it they are going to be a bit inconsistent. In ODIs India stands more chance not that Wi is bad. Frankly i am not worried much about us being inconsistent in T20 format. We have lost last 5 out of last 7 T20s 2 wins came against BD and Ireland. So time to admit we are not good in this format We will eventually get good.

India is going in the right direction Pace Bowling Ishant Sreesanth Zaheer RP Singh Munaf Patel Irfan Pathan Possible future pace prospects Sangwan Kamran Khan Sudeep Tyagi Trivedi Spinners Harbhajan Powar Chawla Amit Mishra P Ojha R Jadeja Parmer (hope he modifies his action and does well. He is considered to be unplayable on certain pitches) Openers Gambhir Sehwag M Vijay Wicketkeepers Dhoni Karthik Goswami N Ojha Parthiv Promising young batsmen Rohit Kohli Raina (mainly for ODI) Pandey R Jadeja Pujara Tiwary Rahane Dhawan (hopefully he resurrects himself) I might have missed a few. Indian future looks good. Especially spin department looks extremely good.