Day-Night Test Cricket - good idea or bad one ?

BAD BAD IDEA !!! Test cricket is the one aspect of the game that should remain traditional. The crowds will come when the contest is good. Aus vs Ind in 2007/08 was a strong crowd, as was Aus vs South Africa in 2008/09. They just need to schedule games better so that at least 2 of the first 4 days coincide with a weekend. Im pretty sure the Ashes will have a strong crowd.
but ind vs aus in october last year had no crowd its not about weekdays or weekends these days ppl dont have tie to watch batsman playing tuk tuk and bowlers doin nothin. test cricket has to be completely changed or it will DIE thru lack of spectator the game is now outdated
but ind vs aus in october last year had no crowd its not about weekdays or weekends these days ppl dont have tie to watch batsman playing tuk tuk and bowlers doin nothin. test cricket has to be completely changed or it will DIE thru lack of spectator the game is now outdated
That's not true - the tests at Bangalore and Delhi had good crowds. The problem is with scheduling tests at the smaller centers - they don't attract the crowds. BCCI should play tests only at bigger centers like Chennai, Calcutta, Bombay etc. The crowd on the last day of the England India test at Chennai was stupendous while there were hardly any people watching the same teams at Mohali a few days later. Quality pitches and judicuous scheduling will ensure test cricket is far from dead.
T BCCI should play tests only at bigger centers like Chennai' date=' Calcutta, Bombay etc. .[/quote'] this is really unfair india is huge cricket crazy country more than just 2 or 3 city deserve to see the great awesome superstars of indian cricket team plus chennai, kolkata mumbai are rich state associations already playing big test matchs in other cities with moderately price tickets will bring in precious gate revenue and help those smaler state associations develop cricket better in their region also u have to consider that ppl in smallr cities will appreciate test cricket more cos its not often they see indian cricket team playing for 5 straight days, i can imagine crowds will be full but this wont happen in big citiez cos they are used to seeing it plus tickets cost a lot

Test cricket is fun if you have absolutely nothing else to do and have all the time in the world to follow a single game over 5 days. It has been ages since I have had that luxury. Regarding day/night, I think it could help with working folks catch more of the action, so I am for it.

this is really unfair india is huge cricket crazy country more than just 2 or 3 city deserve to see the great awesome superstars of indian cricket team plus chennai, kolkata mumbai are rich state associations already playing big test matchs in other cities with moderately price tickets will bring in precious gate revenue and help those smaler state associations develop cricket better in their region also u have to consider that ppl in smallr cities will appreciate test cricket more cos its not often they see indian cricket team playing for 5 straight days, i can imagine crowds will be full but this wont happen in big citiez cos they are used to seeing it plus tickets cost a lot
Not 2-3 cities - Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Calcutta, Bombay, maybe Kanpur and Hyderabad. None of the other countries have more than these many test centers anyway. There aren't many more test centers in India anyways and the smaller centers can have priority while hosting bilateral ODIs which always draw crowds. Regarding your last paragraph, reality tells us otherwise. The only decent sized crowds we get for tests are at the bigger venues. It was a pity to see the poor turnout at Nagpur for what was an enthralling test match. Also, BCCI does not help the cause by not selling individual day tickets and of course the facilities are poor. A lot of people enjoy test cricket but the pitches leading to dull games and the logistics are responsible for the poor crowds.
Not 2-3 cities - Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Calcutta, Bombay, maybe Kanpur and Hyderabad. None of the other countries have more than these many test centers anyway. There aren't many more test centers in India anyways and the smaller centers can have priority while hosting bilateral ODIs which always draw crowds. Regarding your last paragraph, reality tells us otherwise. The only decent sized crowds we get for tests are at the bigger venues. It was a pity to see the poor turnout at Nagpur for what was an enthralling test match. Also, BCCI does not help the cause by not selling individual day tickets and of course the facilities are poor. A lot of people enjoy test cricket but the pitches leading to dull games and the logistics are responsible for the poor crowds.
not it doesnt india hasnt hosted test matches at kochi so we dont know if they wud get big crowds. nagpur was poor turnout cos tickets were priced really really high, probably to pay for the vca brand new stadium. at big stadiums u will get maybe half capacity full on all 5 days on average i agree that games are dull, dats why i propose to reduce days from 5 to 3 and make players wear color clothing. possibly also penalise batsman for scoring at less than 3 an over, dats a good way to protect bowlers on flat ttracks
Thats not true. The reason crowds were poor last year during the India vs Australia series was because they played matches away from the cricket heartlands of India. They didnt play a Test in Chennai, or Mumbai or Calcutta. They played matches in Mohali and Nagpur and so on. The other critical factor is PITCHES: Administrators would rather have flat pitches that ensure games run for 5 days (therefore guarantee 5 days of tickets). What needs to be changed is pitches and rules need to designed in such a way so that it does not benefit a batsman over a bowler. At the moment, the contest is 2 even between bat and ball. Night cricket is not the answer. Try to make Test cricket like T20 in an attempt to attract crowds is without doubt THE STUPIDEST IDEA EVER!!! Can u imagine fireworks and cheerleaders and constant music during a Test match. The spectators wouldnt buy it because the pace of the game wouldnt keep with the atmosphere that is trying to be created, and the traditionalists would also be put off. Neither side would be happy. Then we would be left with nothing and the game (Test cricket) would die out. No doubt about DUMB, DUMB, DUMB IDEA !!! I hope the adminstrators would have the sanity to realise that there should be an aspect of the game that is kept the same throughout generations and generations. The idea of a 4-day game is something that has more merit than a night game

positive: probably more crowd will show up barring rain, no more early stumps due to "bad light" batsmen don't play negative cricket to get bad light colored clothing + white ball might add some zing for those who think test cricket is old negative dew + white ball. major major factor which will outweight any positive above. if there is any dew, it will become very unfair to the bowlers = high scoring draws. they replace the white balls in ODIs after 35 overs, how are they going to deal with that in tests? you can't go replacing balls as you wish. it will become very unfair to the bowlers. the reverse swing will be completely out of question, and it will be very hard for the spinners. I think they can use pink/orange balls instead of white, and IF they can manage to somehow address the dew issue, I think it will be an interesting idea. I am not completely for it, but in a 3-5 test series, it will be nice to have one 1 day-night test to make things interesting....

why?.dont say its because of tradition-it will be great if more people can watch test matches in the sub-continent after work.
lol no dude, I dont give a llama's ass abt tradition. After a long tiring day at work, you want to watch tuk-tuk?
lol no dude, I dont give a llama's ass abt tradition. After a long tiring day at work, you want to watch tuk-tuk?
yep-i want to have that option instead of watching it on the news and i think it will really take off if done right but it has a long way to go before they iron out the kinks.

instead of this,ICC should look to make Test cricket interesting by providing sporting,maybe even bowler friendly.n make rules to protect it.one such rule is to disqualify the runs off edges only the runs scored by batsman where he intends to will be allowed.this will make the game more even

I think it might be a good idea. Mostly people can not watch test cricket because it happens during office hours. In case of an odd ODI match, people would cheat at work to watch a match....either stay at home with some excuse or watch it in the conference room in the office. But its not what you can do for five days. If its day-night, many would love to get back home and catch a part of the action. That will help the format survive the challenges thrown by T20 and ODI cricket.

instead of this' date='ICC should look to make Test cricket interesting by providing sporting,maybe even bowler friendly.n make rules to protect it.[b']one such rule is to disqualify the runs off edges only the runs scored by batsman where he intends to will be allowed.this will make the game more even
:hatsoff::hatsoff:
instead of this' date='ICC should look to make Test cricket interesting by providing sporting,maybe even bowler friendly.n make rules to protect it.[b']one such rule is to disqualify the runs off edges only the runs scored by batsman where he intends to will be allowed.this will make the game more even
And who will decide whats an edge and whats not? If at all anything can be done in those lines, leg byes should not be allowed. I have always felt that leg byes are so unfair to the bowler.
And who will decide whats an edge and whats not? If at all anything can be done in those lines' date=' leg byes should not be allowed. I have always felt that leg byes are so unfair to the bowler.[/quote'] that should be decided by umpires n its not that hard.too many times i feel wen bwler is putting pressure on batsman an edge goes to the boundary n pressure is off.