When will we have an express fast bowler?

SA and its bowling has come up because they worked hard. They weren't busy cutting pace or blaming the pitch or the conditions. They've worked very hard on their fitness and that is where they gain their pace from. We are lazy blokes, lets not try to absolve ourselves of blame here.

AS I SAID: WE ARE NOT SIGNING OVER ANY BOWLERS TO ANYONE FOR ANY PRICE
All good man. We were never a great bowling/fielding side. Dont see it changing any time soon either. Its only our bating that carried us this far. Thankfully we are still formidable once rest of the crew gets back from hospital. We'll see how things pan out when we meet again for tests later this year in your own den. :dance:

There are many reasons why our bowlers do not remain fast even though a couple of them, like Ishant and Munaf, were quite quick to begin with. One of the main reasons must be our cricket playing fraternity's unwillingness to accept the weaknesses of a rookie express bowler. Most of the times an Indian past player is commentating, any mistake by a rookie is attributed to his trying to generate pace even though the reality might be otherwise - like lack of rythm, expecting the ball to swing but it does not and hence the line becomes wrong, etc. They appreciate a good bouncer bowled by our bowlers but if a 4 is hit of a bounceer then, even if the bowler is real quick, a commentator complaints that, " he should not be bowling short". If a pitched up ball is driven for 4 even 3 times in an over then that is encouraged as the batsman might eventually make a mistake or get a heart attack from the excitement of hiitting constant boundaries. :winky: Our cricketing fraternity loves express bowlers and wants one for our national team but as long as they are unwilling to accept some bad deliveries from fast bowlers during their formative years, and still encourage them to bowl fast, we won't be able to maintain a true fast bowler.

There are many reasons why our bowlers do not remain fast even though a couple of them, like Ishant and Munaf, were quite quick to begin with. One of the main reasons must be our cricket playing fraternity's unwillingness to accept the weaknesses of a rookie express bowler. Most of the times an Indian past player is commentating, any mistake by a rookie is attributed to his trying to generate pace even though the reality might be otherwise - like lack of rythm, expecting the ball to swing but it does not and hence the line becomes wrong, etc. They appreciate a good bouncer bowled by our bowlers but if a 4 is hit of a bounceer then, even if the bowler is real quick, a commentator complaints that, " he should not be bowling short". If a pitched up ball is driven for 4 even 3 times in an over then that is encouraged as the batsman might eventually make a mistake or get a heart attack from the excitement of hiitting constant boundaries. :winky: Our cricketing fraternity loves express bowlers and wants one for our national team but as long as they are unwilling to accept some bad deliveries from fast bowlers during their formative years, and still encourage them to bowl fast, we won't be able to maintain a true fast bowler.
Beautiful Post!!!!!1 Reminds of of this guy bowling in U19 worldcup this year...forgot his name.. Funny thing is that he bowled a ball at 139 speed and was constantly bowling around 135(age of 18) but still he was not in the squad for some of the matches.. Reason by socalled coaches and people- "He concentrates too much on pace" ... and the matches he played, he outbowled most of the other bowlers( even after coming as a change bowler)

This blind, maniacal obsession with the speed gun readings is worrying, dangerous even. One of the reasons why Pakistanis repeatedly persisted with the utter garbage of cricketer and team-man like Shoaib Akhtar was because they were simply in love with his speed readings. He repaid all that love and affection by leaving a trail of disaster. We did not become no.1 with express pace, we dont need pace to stay at that spot. Two of most outstanding exhibition of fast bowling by the Indian in our cricket's history - England 2007 and Perth 2008 - had little to do with pace.

^ not little man...they had to much with the pace...both bowled at 130 compare to styne and morkel's 145-150 mark...also ishant lacks in swinging ball big time...he couldnt swing new bal..hee needs to rested for at least 6 monthsl...if i have to select some one to replace him then i will bring irfan back at least he can bat and swing ball with the new ball...

I think it is because of tradition too. Not enough role models. Indian team has always been known for their spin. Gupte, Bedi, Chandra, Prasanna, Venkat, VV Kumar, Doshi, Kumble, Harbhajan, L Siva. First real fast bowler India produced was Kapil Dev. Even he was not express bowler. He was an oustanding outswing bowler. Srinath was the first real quick bowler who managed to hurry the batsman with disconcerting bounce. But even he was not the kind of bowler who would send stumps cartwheeling or send down toe crushing yorkers. Also Indians are fond of batting more than bowling. You could see this pattern in any club. Look at Sehwag. He started his cricket infront of mirror practicing Sachin's shots. With IPL and all we are bound to see few fast bowlers coming through. I am going to follow Kamran Khan's career. This guy was really quick for his frame.
But Kamran is a chucker!

Can I say competition After all, I think India has the most competition for places in the team. With this, every youngster has to compromise and minimize his weakness so in a long view, to be a bowler with a good all round game. So if you are a pacy bowler but not good in accuracy, not the coach but yourself who will first think of compromise your pace to improve your accuracy. After all, we still believe that you need to have no weakness if you want to succeed long term, which might not be true in reality.

This blind, maniacal obsession with the speed gun readings is worrying, dangerous even. One of the reasons why Pakistanis repeatedly persisted with the utter garbage of cricketer and team-man like Shoaib Akhtar was because they were simply in love with his speed readings. He repaid all that love and affection by leaving a trail of disaster. We did not become no.1 with express pace, we dont need pace to stay at that spot. Two of most outstanding exhibition of fast bowling by the Indian in our cricket's history - England 2007 and Perth 2008 - had little to do with pace.
Why is it everytime an indian suggests that we need a fast bowler(with control/movement, always have to state this for head in sand brigade) that the head in sand brigade straight away mention pakistan??? Why do responses go with pak, phaaaast bowlers, meat eaters and sami??? Its just a bizzare response as I am talking about pace bowler for India and get responses on pakistan!!! Why dont the same head in sand brigade discuss windies domination with battery of pacers. Or discuss the whole history of cricket and the brilliant fast bowlers in cricket history who have been clear match winners. Thus for an indian to want one for our team is hardly an outageous want. Its bloody obvious we have a glaring weakness in this dept. As especially on flat tracks that extra pace can make all the difference. To deny this weaknees is ironically pak thinking as to not accept ones weaknesses. And as for Akthar lets gets this straight. He was a nut job. Although having to play under inzi and his taliban regime would have made most people nuts,:--D However, to deny his brilliance as a bowler is crazy(although he was a chucker). A brilliant average of 25 and strike rate of 45 is awesome and exemplifies the effectiveness of quality fast bowling. If an indian bowled like he did with that record, lets be honest we would all be drooling over him.
SA and its bowling has come up because they worked hard. They weren't busy cutting pace or blaming the pitch or the conditions. They've worked very hard on their fitness and that is where they gain their pace from. We are lazy blokes, lets not try to absolve ourselves of blame here.
They don't have to. Pace is encouraged and they have the pitches that suits pace bowling why would they blame the pitches. Nobody seemed to be complaining that our batsman fed on a diet of spin bowling were carting around Warne & Murali. It ha got nothing to do with laziness. If Zak was lazy he wouldn't have come and bowled all those overs here at Worcester and come back a better bowler. You can get a 160k bowler also in India and within a year or two they will be in the 130s because they either won't have the fitness or the board won't manage their loads properly and they will break down.

Our fast bowlers don't have the fitness to deliver 140ks day in day out . Even the worst club cricketer from Australia easily clock 140k without any fuss. It is something not going to change for a long time. Pitches are just excuses. In the last 3 years in home tests Zak bowled 424 overs Ishant bowled 320 overs Sree bowled 143 overs In the last 3 years in home tests Johnson bowled 696 overs lee bowled 428 overs Siddle bowled 300 overs Clark bowled 286 overs Bollinger bowled 224 overs We are nowhere close to the work load of an Australian fast bowler. Yet we keep yapping about pitches being the culprit. None of the Aussie bowler dropped in any pace whatsoever despite the workload.

Why is it everytime an indian suggests that we need a fast bowler(with control/movement, always have to state this for head in sand brigade) that the head in sand brigade straight away mention pakistan??? Why do responses go with pak, phaaaast bowlers, meat eaters and sami??? Its just a bizzare response as I am talking about pace bowler for India and get responses on pakistan!!! Why dont the same head in sand brigade discuss windies domination with battery of pacers. Or discuss the whole history of cricket and the brilliant fast bowlers in cricket history who have been clear match winners. Thus for an indian to want one for our team is hardly an outageous want. Its bloody obvious we have a glaring weakness in this dept. As especially on flat tracks that extra pace can make all the difference. To deny this weaknees is ironically pak thinking as to not accept ones weaknesses.
The head in sand brigade would also love to have a Marshall, Lillee, or Ambrose in the team. Who wouldn't? It's like saying someone would say no to having a Tendulkar, Dravid, or Gavaskar in the team. What the phaassht brigade does not realize is that just smoking pipedreams is not going to add anything to a meaningful discussion. I've asked this question before as well - do you have any bowler in mind who is remotely like that. Let's even forget about control, movement, and swing for the time being. Is there any bowler in the domestic circuit who can be termed express to start off with? What the phaassht brigade does is wake up the morning a do a jaap for some fast bowler with movement and control to magically appear on the scene! With IPL and more telecast of domestic cricket lately, I have seen pretty much every bowler on the domestic scene at least for a few overs. Tell me if I am missing someone, but from first looks I don't see anyone who can be a Srinath forget about a Marshall. Now in this scenario doesn't it make more sense to talk about how our bowlers can develop their game based on skills like Zaheer has done rather than talk about some hypothetical phaasht bowler with control and movement day in and out?
The head in sand brigade would also love to have a Marshall, Lillee, or Ambrose in the team. Who wouldn't? It's like saying someone would say no to having a Tendulkar, Dravid, or Gavaskar in the team. What the phaassht brigade does not realize is that just smoking pipedreams is not going to add anything to a meaningful discussion. I've asked this question before as well - do you have any bowler in mind who is remotely like that. Let's even forget about control, movement, and swing for the time being. Is there any bowler in the domestic circuit who can be termed express to start off with? What the phaassht brigade does is wake up the morning a do a jaap for some fast bowler with movement and control to magically appear on the scene! With IPL and more telecast of domestic cricket lately, I have seen pretty much every bowler on the domestic scene at least for a few overs. Tell me if I am missing someone, but from first looks I don't see anyone who can be a Srinath forget about a Marshall. Now in this scenario doesn't it make more sense to talk about how our bowlers can develop their game based on skills like Zaheer has done rather than talk about some hypothetical phaasht bowler with control and movement day in and out?
Exactly. The only thing left for us to do is to conduct pujas and yagnas in the hope that the mythical express quicks comes magically comes among us. Fact is, we dont have an express quick. Lets deal with and make the best of what we have. Merely having wet-dreams of that elusive express quick isnt going to take us anywhere. We might never have an express quick, we might get one in the next week. That is something beyond our control. In meanwhile, lets focus on what is in our contol - which is to hone the skills and fitness of a really good group of quicks that we have.