Australia show chinks in Warm up; England coast along smoothly

After none of the top order barring Hussey and Katich made any significant contribution, with Hughes, Ponting, Clarke, North, and Haddin contributing a total of 20 runs, the England Lions were looking to run away with an opening partnership of 172. Lee has picked up a five wicket haul, all but confirming his spot for Cardiff and perhaps longer along with Johnson leaving Siddle and Clark to fight for the third seamer's spot unless Australia go in with an all pace attack. The Lions are 296/6 in reply to Australia's 358. On the other hand England have absolutely decimated Warwickshire. After declaring at 290, Anderson and Panesar ran through Warwick for 102 and Bopara is enjoying a nice batting session unbeaten on 88 out of England's 185/2. Lots to think about for Australia, England looking good and even better now that Lee is certain to play.

C&Ping a couple of my posts from another board. I've watched most of the game and have been stunned by Lee's old ball spells. On the new ball: "Rest of Lee's bowling has been pretty frustrating to watch. Really good pace (90-93 mph consistently), but quite a few balls down the leg side and very little signs of swing. Harmison this morning was swinging it a bit more than him, and Harmy's not even that big a swinger of the ball! " Old: " 172/0, then Lee came back into the attack and is suddenly reversing the ball at 90+ mph and looking like a totally different bowler. Denly bowled with one huge inswinger, Bell LBW to a yorker first ball, Lee on a hattrick. " " Morgan now yorked by a Lee inswinger and LBW for 4. 5/43 for Lee, who's really been outstanding in this latter spell. He didn't move it much early on and sprayed a few down leg, but he's had really good control with the old ball and reversed it very, very well. "

Hughes, Ponting, Clarke, North, and Haddin contributing a total of 20 runs : was a real shocker for me. So was Anderson picking wickets. I had a theory that whichever side troy coolie is on, will lose. Now Bhukha nan has also joined with England. That balances out Coolie. Now I am clueless again. :nervous::nervous:

Interesting, Lee getting so much reverse. He doesn't have a good history on it. Remember how Ishant and Zaheer made him look like a club bowler last year? If it's not a one off spell of reverse then Lee might still be able to make an impact on the series because two things he does not lack are perseverance and stamina. He can be expected to deliver 90 mph spells even late into the day. How was the wicket? Dry? Was anyone else reversing it besides Lee?

Interesting, Lee getting so much reverse. He doesn't have a good history on it. Remember how Ishant and Zaheer made him look like a club bowler last year? If it's not a one off spell of reverse then Lee might still be able to make an impact on the series because two things he does not lack are perseverance and stamina. He can be expected to deliver 90 mph spells even late into the day. How was the wicket? Dry? Was anyone else reversing it besides Lee?
Nope, there were no signs of reverse yesterday either - Harmison was mainly relying on bounce and got some conventional swing this morning. Johnson moved it very little. Wicket looked on the drier side. Hauritz was getting some turn as the ball got older, but never had the variation in pace/flight/turn or dip to look like anything more than a shithouse club bowler. Rashid btw got a lot of turn yesterday as the ball got older, beat the Aussies a few times with his variation. He's a good prospect; attacking, positive and willing to try different things, but his control really needs to improve if he's going to become a major player. I'd written off Lee as you know before this series. But right now I'm wondering if he could make an impact; he looked like a real strike bowler in the afternoon/evening and his last few spells were as good as the best spells I've ever seen him bowl. But the key is that it's one thing to bowl to Solanki, Joe Denly, Eoin Morgan and co (although Bell has been in great touch and his first ball dismissal was outstanding), another to the likes of Pietersen, Strauss and Class Acts like Collingwood.

I am surprised at the amount of attention a normal warm-up match is getting at cricinfo. Previews, daily bulletins and special coverage for a tour match? Its not like Ashes is the purest, best and most entertaining cricket that’s played in a calendar year.