Finally - Vijay and Badri playing : What do you think of S Badrinath

i would keep Vijay in the squad but not in the XI.hes an opener n seems completely outt of touch else where. Badri is complete misfit.he doesnt belong to test level imo.i think sice we need a leftie in our MO we should try Nayar.he also gives us 3rd seamer option which Ganguly used to provide

i would keep Vijay in the squad but not in the XI.hes an opener n seems completely outt of touch else where. Badri is complete misfit.he doesnt belong to test level imo.i think sice we need a leftie in our MO we should try Nayar.he also gives us 3rd seamer option which Ganguly used to provide
Vijay i will definitely give some benefit of doubt. It is not easy to change your batting position on the fly that too against top class attack and expect him to deliver right away. Yesterday's dismissal i can totally understand. He just pushed him back and back and bowled the sucker delivery. Even Tendulkar got deceived like that in the last test to a sucker delivery. But in Badri's case it was more to do with cluelessness than anything brilliant from bowler.I have already said so many times about his weakness against incoming deliveries like a broken record. Each run for Badri is like moving a mountain.

I feel for Badri. At most other times - except for the mid 90s to the present - he would have got an automatic five Test run based on his 50 against the best pace bowling attack in the world. But he's out of time and playing in the wrong era. He hasn't convinced with his lunges and awkward prods even if it is against Steyn. Indian cricket an neither wish not afford to invest in a cricketer who has not given evidence of, if not totting up a big core, at least looking comfortable at this level against this superb bowling attack. Not with so many others knocking on the doors. And certainly not with the impending phasing out of the greats, when our overwhelming ambition would be to get players as close to the same calibre as we can. I suspect many of us would advocated giving him more chances if he had scored a breezy 25 rather than a grim 50, or showed a few strokes against Steyn. Some evidence that, while he could survive against SA, he would prosper against other bowling attacks. On the other hand Vijay, who has issues with concentration IMO, has done that. Just about.

Vijay i will definitely give some benefit of doubt. It is not easy to change your batting position on the fly that too against top class attack and expect him to deliver right away. Yesterday's dismissal i can totally understand. He just pushed him back and back and bowled the sucker delivery. Even Tendulkar got deceived like that in the last test to a sucker delivery. But in Badri's case it was more to do with cluelessness than anything brilliant from bowler.I have already said so many times about his weakness against incoming deliveries like a broken record. Each run for Badri is like moving a mountain.
what i meant with Vijay that hes an opener n we shouldnt look to him for no.6 spot which is open.his game is not suited for that. i would keep him in the squad,groom him so that he can take RD's place wen he bids adieu. agree about Badri he seems completely clueless.some posters attacked me the other day wen i called him tentative n slow but i guess they'll understand what i mean now
Are you guys serious? That quick to write someone, who has proven himself worthy of more chances, after just 3 innings? His nagpur innings was brilliant. 56 gritty runs against the best bowlers in the world. I say he deserves more chances.
It is not the number of innings It is the manner in which he plays. Dinesh Karthik played Steyn in South Africa far far better than Badri plays here For a long time i was cursing about Karthik's selection over Badri. Now i can see the difference. Ball was nicely coming on to bat. But looked like he was late on each stroke. Ganguly had this timid look back in 1992. He was sent right back to domestic cricket. He came back strongly. But in Badri's case if we send him back i do not think he is ever going to make a come back.

I don't understand why us indians are so gung-ho about youth and age. We should pick the best 11 to make the team right now, not a few players who can maybe become better 10 years down the line. He should be persisted with. If ladlu rohit sharma can get 41 chances to prove himself badri deserves at least a few tests.

what i meant with Vijay that hes an opener n we shouldnt look to him for no.6 spot which is open.his game is not suited for that. i would keep him in the squad,groom him so that he can take RD's place wen he bids adieu. agree about Badri he seems completely clueless.some posters attacked me the other day wen i called him tentative n slow but i guess they'll understand what i mean now
Care to explain what you mean by that? As far as I know middle order batsmen will find it tough to open or come in at no 3 because it requires skills to negotiate new ball. But I dont understand why an opener cant bat at no 5 or no 6?
Care to explain what you mean by that? As far as I know middle order batsmen will find it tough to open or come in at no 3 because it requires skills to negotiate new ball. But I dont understand why an opener cant bat at no 5 or no 6?
well its not just about skills,its about approach too.an opener has to set the tone.an MO has to play according to the situation that the openers the put the team into. Vijay is an opener in classical mould.he likes to see off the new ball,get set n then play his strokes.whereas at no.6 there r going to times he would need to step on the gas from get go in case of impending declaration or wen hes batting with the tail. plus no.6 also needs to be good against quality spin n reverse swing.is Vijay suited for that?:hmmm: i'm not saying he cannot perform at 6.all i'm saying hes better suited for top 3 n we should groom him for that only
Why groom him for an opener's slot when these two are set to be together for the next 5+ years? Sounds like someone wants a middle order slot open for a certain...Yuvraj Singh? :fear:
i said no.3 too if u read my post. n dont play this regionalistic card with me.i have clearly said that since we need a leftie in our MO n hence want Abhishek Nayar in the team.infact many posters in the past have advocated for UV to play at 6 considering how damaging he can be once set.n he has scored 3 tons in tough conditions. if anything its u who r crying for Badri to be included wen its absolutely clear that he doesnt belong n there other options in our FC cricket.

Let's face it, there is no point wasting time on Badrinath. He had a stellar domestic record and despite failing against good attacks in the past was given a 2 test match opportunity, but he has just looked completely out of depth. He has one more innings but it's unlikely to be something major going on the evidence so far. It also vindicates a lot of people who had mentioned earlier that his scoring range against good bowling is very limited. Vijay is a different case. He has looked the part. Obviously, he is not the finished product, but he is well worth investing time in.

Neither seized the opportunity to block out Yuvraj. Yuvi will get his spot back in the next Test series.
Yeah but the noose is tightening on Yuvraj as well. He has been given a fair amt of time to demonstrate that he can play the test match game. The jury is still out and there seems to be a fair amt of young talent knocking on the doors. And yes ... Badrinath is unlikely to stay in the squad much longer. It is his hard luck that he debuted against SA - an easier initiation may have allowed him to settle down but c'est la vie.
Neither seized the opportunity to block out Yuvraj. Yuvi will get his spot back in the next Test series.
yup especially because he is a good bowling option these days. Yuvi has two modes. Sublime mode or mediocre and clueless mode. It depends on situation and type of bowling. If only he improves his defense technique he wil have a decent test career.