Calling P_K

Sachinism

I was watching this small piece on 60 mins about IIT. Damn that is some tough stuff. Was it really like this? Are the courses that rigorous? Indian Institues of Technology - CBS 60 Minutes Video
Courses were tough, but I do think that sometimes they were made so ridiculously heavy that in the end the students had only a hazy idea of what was supposed to have been taught. Several professors had this sadistic streak of making life hell for the students. After my time though, the course load in IIT Delhi was reduced a bit to ease student stress.

IMO, the field of study is important. If you are not interested in say Civil or Mechanical Engg, but that's what you can get in IIT, then it is better to do what you want to do in another institution, rather than just go through IIT to get the 'stamp', in a field of study that you are not passionate about. Ofcourse, if one can get what they want to do and the college they want to do it in, Great!

IMO' date=' the field of study is important. If you are not interested in say Civil or Mechanical Engg, but that's what you can get in IIT, then it is better to do what you want to do in another institution, rather than just go through IIT to get the 'stamp', in a field of study that you are not passionate about. Ofcourse, if one can get what they want to do and the college they want to do it in, Great![/quote'] Ya, but how many students know it beforehand what they want to do ? We need to make the curriculum more flexible, and have everyone as general engineering major in the first year, like here in US. IITs are so ****ing rigid about curriculum it is ridiculous. Majority of people, even the most brilliant ones, have no ****in clue what their courses are going to be in the next 4 years. If you give them sometime to figure it out, it will be better for all. A lot of my friends were more interested in the sciences/math but still went to get an engineering degree. Most IITs don't have world class science/math faculty or reputation. But in the end, it is the experience of being with really bright people that you take away from IIT, not the details of your degree so much. When you get in, you think the next 4 years are going to define you as a person, but it is far from the truth. In IIT, the thing you learn is how to learn. Then you apply that in grad school or whatever else you do later on.

Courses were tough, But I do think that sometimes they were made so ridiculously heavy that in the end the students had only a hazy idea of what was supposed to have been taught. Several professors had this sadistic streak of making life hell for the students. After my time though, the course load in IIT Delhi was reduced a bit to ease student stress.
Dude, the ragging that goes on in IIT-D has a lot to do with student stress, vo kam hui kya ? :hysterical: A friend of mine from chandigarh got into IIT-D and went to stay in the hostel a month before the classes began. Uski jo haalat ki seniors ne..hahaha...

Dude, the ragging that goes on in IIT-D has a lot to do with student stress, vo kam hui kya ? :hysterical: A friend of mine from chandigarh got into IIT-D and went to stay in the hostel a month before the classes began. Uski jo haalat ki seniors ne..hahaha...
I joined IIT-D in 2000, and that year the ragging was horrible, I remember thinking to myself whether I had joined the NDA or the IIT. But the intensity got significantly reduced in the next couple of years, as the authorities became strict. And in my last year there was a controversy surrounding IIT-D ragging which gained national prominence. After that I hear that ragging is quite harmless.

Guys I wanted to know about the preparation for the entrance exam' date=' do you guys really have to start at 4:30 and just study the whole day?[/quote'] Yeah. Infact I knew a couple of guys who came to my college to do Comp Engg (my college being one of the best for Comp E in the US) because they didnt get into IIT in the computer science stream. They were getting admission for stuff like chemical engineering, civil, mechanical, etc. They figured it was better doing what they wanted to do rather than doing something else at IIT(which is what a lot of people do, something fineleg was talking about)

Guys I wanted to know about the preparation for the entrance exam' date=' [b']do you guys really have to start at 4:30 and just study the whole day?
:haha: I guess it depends from person to person, getting up at 4.30 is a bit extreme though. I prepared for around 2 years for the entrance, and I used to have a fixed target of studying for around 8 hours a day (less on school days), and I essentially did put in 6-7 hours a day on average for two years. I was ranked in the top 100 so I was pretty satisfied with my effort. Though I know of people ranked ahead of me who really put in like 12 hours a day. One thing that I now find interesting is that throughout those two years of study I never studied into the night beyond 9pm. I was told in my coaching class to synchronize my body clock so that I have the maximum concentration and never feel sleepy during daytime - because the exam was in the day. I remember fine tuning everything - my diet, clothes, pens and various strategies for answering the questions - over the dozens of practice examinations I wrote. Those days of almost fanatical self discipline are well and truly gone for me now.

:haha: I guess it depends from person to person, getting up at 4.30 is a bit extreme though. I prepared for around 2 years for the entrance, and I used to have a fixed target of studying for around 8 hours a day (less on school days), and I essentially did put in 6-7 hours a day on average for two years. I was ranked in the top 100 so I was pretty satisfied with my effort. Though I know of people ranked ahead of me who really put in like 12 hours a day. One thing that I now find interesting is that throughout those two years of study I never studied into the night beyond 9pm. I was told in my coaching class to synchronize my body clock so that I have the maximum concentration and never feel sleepy during daytime - because the exam was in the day. I remember fine tuning everything - my diet, clothes, pens and various strategies for answering the questions - over the dozens of practice examinations I wrote. Those days of almost fanatical self discipline are well and truly gone for me now.
I guess if you put in the effort you will reap the rewards at some point.
No re' date=' I did comp engg in the US. Read my post again :wall:[/quote'] :whack: