Cricinfos all time Eng XI includes KP...

Sooda

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/422353.html 1. Jack Hobbs "They didn't call him The Master for nothing: over 60,000 runs and nearly 200 first-class centuries, all of them accompanied by a half-smile and - judging by the fact that you never hear a bad word about him - a word of encouragement for the bowler. Hobbs kept it simple, playing straight and making sure he got his pads in the way too [the lbw law was less strict in his day]." Steven Lynch 2. Len Hutton "In 1939, as the world descended into war, Len Hutton was about to overtake Bradman, Hammond and Headley as the finest batsman in the world. Already he had established that long-lasting Ashes record score of 364, an awesome performance by a 22-year-old. Then came the broken arm. Yet despite the handicap, he stood as the world's finest for another 10 years, weathering the bouncers, displaying the finest touches of batsmanship. He also pioneered - not without difficulties within the game - the challenge of captaincy by a professional. Slightly built, reticent, but truly a master." David Frith 3. Wally Hammond "Wally Hammond was an all-round cricketer of imperishable class and command. A majestic batsman who dominated attacks wherever he played, he was the supreme England player after Jack Hobbs, one of the greatest slip catchers ever, and a powerful fast-medium bowler when the situation required." Christopher Martin-Jenkins 4. Ken Barrington "Ken Barrington actually never played in an England side that won the Ashes, but nevertheless, throughout the 1960s he was the rock on which England was built, and for that reason alone you'd need him to play in any Ashes side. He'll be in my England all-time XI for as long as the game is played." Stephen Brenkley 5. Kevin Pietersen "Few players could produce an Ashes-winning innings in their debut series. Even fewer could do it with Pietersen's panache. His career has a long way to go yet, but it says a lot for his standing that you have to go back to Ian Botham for the next most recent inclusion on this list." Lawrence Booth 6. Ian Botham "A proven century-maker, unlike Andrew Flintoff, and capable of bowling either fast like Harold Larwood, or outswing like Fred Trueman. Hammond at first slip and Botham at second would make a formidable cordon beside Alan Knott." Scyld Berry 7. Alan Knott "Alan Knott was peerless behind the stumps (contemporaries scratch their heads when asked to remember a dropped catch), and pretty damn good in front of them, cracking five Test hundreds despite an unorthodox technique." Steven Lynch 8. Derek Underwood "World-class English spinners have been thin on the ground in recent decades, but Derek Underwood would qualify as a great in any era. 'Deadly' was his nickname and it could not have been more apt. In the right conditions he was lethal, especially when partnered with his Kent colleague Alan Knott." John Stern 9. Harold Larwood "He was the arguably the fastest bowler that England have ever had, and arguably the nastiest as well. But above all, he's somebody who still gets up the wick of the Australians more than 75 years after the event. And for that reason alone, he has to be in there, doesn't he?" Mike Selvey 10. Fred Trueman "Fast bowlers need four things above all: pace, movement, control and heart. Trueman had them all. He became the first Test cricketer to break the 300-wicket barrier. He had his limitations: despite taking wickets everywhere he went, he wouldn't brave the subcontinent, and his grit later turned to curmudgeonliness. But he remains a magnificent sight on grainy old film clips: I would love to have witnessed more of his bowling and less of his commentary." Tim de Lisle 11. Sydney Barnes "Even in his 10th decade, Sydney Barnes was an intimidating figure. He was born to dominate. Tall and gaunt of features, he seemed to lack humour. His mission in life was to make batsmen miserable, and his figures are extraordinary, even allowing for matting wickets that brought him 49 wickets in four Tests in South Africa in 1913-14. He spun the ball at a brisk pace. Nightmare stuff. Probably still the greatest bowler who ever measured out a run-up." David Frith 12th man Denis Compton. --- Surprisingly no Willis and no Laker. Plus I would have thought Sutcliffe should open with Hobbs and Hutton at 3. But thats just me.
Guest Gunner

^^Unlikely, Gower was Laxman Ver 1.0. The same easy on the eye elegance would also get him out to casual shots. So he would have averaged approximately the same.

KP in is attempt to create contreversey and publicity. It has worked:--D I have also seen a bit of footage of Hobbs playing. I know different era and all that. But he looked shocking:hysterical:In fact it was like a comedy show, watching it with my cricket team and everyone could not stop laughing. I am aware that greats have to be judeged how good they are in their own era but Hobbs would not make a school team in 2009:haha:

Guest Gunner
Sutcliffe OTOH was a master. Any idiots that would leave him out and put in skunk-head or Barrington instead need their heads split open with a shovel (just to see if anything's inside).
I see your point on Tyson, he did play too few tests overall for England despite extreme pace. Barrington has been picked for his stubborn batting and probably his average as well (guess second to Bradman). The other two who haven't found a place are Alec Bedser and John Snow. Snow played only about 50 tests but this was not due to inconsistency but discipline as the TCCB viewed it back then. Clearly John Snow would walk into the English cricket team of any era. I don't suggest Brian Statham since I am not entirely sure whether he would have been the same bowler and picked up as many wickets if he had to do it alone without Trueman at the other end. But then the same could be said of Trueman himself.

The other of course along with Statham and Snow would be Willis, whos 300+ wicket tally makes a serious contender. So Larwood and Trueman would pip Tyson. Barnes record is simply phenomenal, im sure pitches etc came into the equation, but being a cut/swing bowler like Bedser would make him fave. I guess you cant argue with the pace attack really. The spinner OTOH- Laker > Underwood Id have thought. Wasnt Underwoods effectiveness VERY dependant on the pitch and conditions. Laker was a bigger spinner of the ball. And Barringtons solidity and again, his average was great. KPs a few years too early, but Sutcliffe and Hobbs as one of the great test cricket opening combos picked themselves. (I cant wait for Indias all time XI..!!)