Batting Powerplay

Guest Hiten.

I am still amused over the team's tactics regarding this specific powerplay. England has been completely bamboozled over when to take their batting powerplay in the recent 7 ODI series vs Australia and today SL committed a blunder by delaying the powerplay till the penultimate overs. Isn't it quite obvious that batsmen will have to throw their bat during the last 5 overs ? Had SL taken the powerplay when Sanga and Kandy were building partnership they wouldn't have been lagging behind the RRR. Quite stupid to take powerplay when the wickets remaining are minimal and only one recognized batsman is in the pecking order. Kandamby was forced to be innovative and lost his wicket in the very first ball (he faced) of the batting powerplay. I might be bias somewhat but India has been very wise in using their batting Powerplay in recent times.

Yes. I think SL was going good til they took the ** and put the last recognized pair under pressure. Where the batting ** increases the scoring rate, it usually results in a wicket as well (happened with India as well). Saving it for later overs is foolish because if you lose wickets, its wasted.

They took it late in the dress rehearsal of the final and it paid off big time
That's because they hadn't lost wickets in abundance that time and weren't chasing a big total. It really harsh on the batsman to fetch runs when there are no recognized batsmen left in the batting line up.

infact i thought Dhoni screwed it up too.he took it wen Sachin was brutally tired,o he had to do the scoring.Dhoni had to go for the shots n that resulted in his fall.he could have waited till the 40 th overs n if SRT got out it would have given platform for UV to launch. but none matches SL's stupdity.they could have sealed it had they taken it around 35th over

the ideal time to take a powerplay is after the 34th over when the ball is hard after replacement and it has got some pace to work with, provided that the team has 2 set players in there.Well you may even take it early in the first half of the innings after sending a pinch hitter for injecting some quick runs after a turtle pace start. If you leave it to the last overs and suppose you lose too many wickets in between the 40-45 overs, you have wasted it bcoz a batsman could have scored more than non regular batsman.So IMO ideal time would be when two batsman are full set, the ball is nicely coming on to the bat and of course you have got some hard hiotters to come