Pwnting's high praise for Sachin

SachDan

If I had to last 20 years, I would probably be batting in a wheel chair!
Centurion: Ricky Ponting raced past another landmark on Friday. He completed 12,000 runs in One-day cricket during the course of his century in the first semifinal against England at the Centurion. He is on a hot chase for records set by India's Sachin Tendulkar who continues to pile up runs, making it difficult for Ponting to reach. After the knock, Ponting sportingly praised Tendulkar who is set to complete 20 years in international cricket next month. "He (Sachin) is an amazing player. I can only sit back and watch the number of innings he plays. Look at his statistics and records and it's quite incredible for someone to have stayed in the game for 20 years. He has set benchmarks for guys like me to chase and get as close as we can. If I had to last 20 years, I would probably be batting in a wheel chair," said Ponting, who made his international debut in February 1995 and will have to play till 2015 to complete 20 years of international cricket. Tendulkar on the other hand made his debut in November 1989. Ponting has now scored 12,043 runs in One-dayers compared to Tendulkar's 16,903 runs.Ponting's century against England at Centurion was his 28th One-day century but Tendulkar has 44. Ponting also recorded his 70th One-day half century here during the knock against Pakistan last Wednesday. Here, too, Tendulkar is ahead with 91 half centuries. However, in Test cricket both are nearly very close. Tendulkar has scored 12,773 runs with 42 centuries and 53 half centuries while Ponting with 11,345 runs has 38 centuries and 48 half centuries. Interestingly both their averages are very close. In Tests Tendulkar averages 54.58 while Ponting is ahead with 55.88 and in One-dayers Tendulkar is ahead with 44.48 compared to Ponting's 43.32. While the hot chase will be on, it must be remembered that Ponting has the additional responsibility of leading the Australian team and he has done it in style. Talking about the victory over England and his knock, Ponting said: "I was confident that we could chase the England total and we stood up and got the job done." Smiling proudly, he also added quickly: "We were pretty good and very good with the bat." Did he consider the England total too high, especially while chasing under lights? Ponting proudly said: "I was confident that we would be able to do it and we got the job done. These are the sort of games that you look forward to. These are the moments that we pride ourselves on, standing up in big games and today we've been able to do that. LINK

Ponting was never short of praise for Tendulkar. Whenever her has spoken of him, he has done so with high regard. He has also always called him the best batsman of his time. In fact, I have always noticed that great batsmen always speak greatly of each other. Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, Steve Waugh....they all have always praised each other. It's only we fans that try to belittle the other batsmen to show our hero in good light.

Ponting was never short of praise for Tendulkar. Whenever her has spoken of him, he has done so with high regard. He has also always called him the best batsman of his time. In fact, I have always noticed that great batsmen always speak greatly of each other. Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, Steve Waugh....they all have always praised each other. It's only we fans that try to belittle the other batsmen to show our hero in good light.
what did sachin say about lara? i think i missed that one out lara said that sachin is a genius and he is normal or smthg like that.
what did sachin say about lara? i think i missed that one out lara said that sachin is a genius and he is normal or smthg like that.
I think it was during an interview when asked "will you ever break the record of 400 by lara?" or something like that...dont mark me on this though :haha:... Sachin says "Some one I'd like to watch is Brian Lara, I think he is special" [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2MxBbwcgG0]YouTube - Sachin Tendulkar - LARA is my Favourite[/ame]
From past 1 year or 2, ponting has been pretty down to earth and has been humble. Totally shado of his past. He has been little arrogant and has realized I think of what to speak and what not to. I am gaining respect for him in that regard. A class batsman should be like this only.
I think after that Sydney controversy, his whole team has changed quite a bit.

Hard to beat Sachin's records: Pwnting

Mumbai: He is chasing the batting benchmarks set by Sachin Tendulkar but Australian skipper Ricky Ponting is not sure whether he would achieve them. He wants to focus on playing match-winning knocks for his team. "It would be nice if he retires some time," Ponting quipped. "I was asked about this (chasing Tendulkars records) in South Africa. He's been the benchmark for international players in the world," he said at a media conference here today. "I think he's going into his 20th year in international cricket which in itself is a remarkable feat within itself. The records he has set in Test and One-day cricket would be hard for anybody to tame down the track," he added. As far as he was concerned, Ponting said he would be happy to win more and more games for Australia with his bat. "I will keep plugging away, doing the best I can and hopefully keep playing well enough to win a number of games for Australia. Thats what its all about," he said. "Its not about personal achievement or how many runs you score, its the number of games you can win for your team. So I will do my best to win quite a few games for Australia in the next couple of weeks," he added. Thirty-six-year-old Tendulkar has scored 12,773 runs, including 42 hundreds, from 159 Tests and 16,903 runs (44 tons) in 430 ODIs after making his international debut in November 1989 in Pakistan. Ponting, aged 34, has 11,345 runs from 136 Tests (38 hundreds) and 12,044 runs from 324 ODIs that includes 28 three-figure knocks. He made his international debut in February, 1995 through ODIs, and later played his first Test in December that year.
LINK