Ranji Trophy - Super League 2009-2010 - Discussion thread

The send offs are fine, the umpiring mistakes are fine (part of the game). But if A Nayar did do something to instigate the crowd (I dnt know I didnt see it)that is not fine at all, in every sport there is a line with spectators that you never ever ever cross. Even if the spectators abuse you (which again is wrong), you as a sportsman dont have the right to go and retaliate. Can we all agree on that?

Btw' date=' lemme just add that Uthappa was setting himself nicely to be an obvious target of the Mumbai team. Before the match, he made a statement along the lines 'Yea, Mumbai has won a lot before, but it wont count for much since its a new match..' That sort of sounded a bit disrespectful to me. The Mumbai squad is sure to have taken note of it. And the appeal and the Aggy send-off happened. No wonder he was reserved for some special 'treatment'.[/quote'] What do you expect him to say. Oooh Wow, look at how many times they have won - whopping 38 times. We are already overwhelmed and we will bend over and let them screw us in the match . The same thing said by Sehwag/Ganguly against the aussies would he hailed here.
What do you expect him to say. Oooh Wow' date=' look at how many times they have won - whopping 38 times. We are already overwhelmed and we will bend over and let them screw us in the match . The same thing said by Sehwag/Ganguly against the aussies would he hailed here.[/quote'] It wasnt what he said that I am on about, it was the way he said he.. Anyways, here's the exact quote;
“How many times they have won is only for the record books, I don’t think it counts for this game. They still have to play another match, they still have to come here for another five days, they still have to turn up in the morning and play bat and ball,”
That sounded sort of cocky to me. And i am perfectly fine with him being cocky. Just that, if i were in the Mumbai camp and looking for small things to bring to my players attention, I would have certainly picked up on this quote.
What do you expect him to say. Oooh Wow' date=' look at how many times they have won - whopping 38 times. We are already overwhelmed and we will bend over and let them screw us in the match . The same thing said by Sehwag/Ganguly against the aussies would he hailed here.[/quote'] But the same Sehwag and Ganguly would atleast ****ing stand up to their claims rather than getting out on 9 and 4, as it is not helping your cause is it ? I don't know why are some of you taking it so seriously. I mean we should be glad that the final was not decided based on first innings lead. There are way too many positive things to be focussed on (post final) but we're nitpicking on the usual negative BS.
The send offs are fine, the umpiring mistakes are fine (part of the game). But if A Nayar did do something to instigate the crowd (I dnt know I didnt see it)that is not fine at all, in every sport there is a line with spectators that you never ever ever cross. Even if the spectators abuse you (which again is wrong), you as a sportsman dont have the right to go and retaliate. Can we all agree on that?
Yep, wholeheartedly agree!
But the same Sehwag and Ganguly would atleast ****ing stand up to their claims rather than getting out on 9 and 4, as it is not helping your cause is it ? I don't know why are some of you taking it so seriously. I mean we should be glad that the final was not decided based on first innings lead. There are way too many positive things to be focussed on (post final) but we're nitpicking on the usual negative BS.
So what?, being the captain he has the right to speak aggressively to anybody to back him team.
So what?' date=' being the captain he has the right to speak aggressively to anybody to back him team.[/quote'] This is not the first instance of him talking big and failing to walk the talk. He did the same when the ugly 'senior-junior' row was on and he kept claiming that "seniors should make a way for youngsters". We all saw how he performed during that stage and he is not even picked to warm the bench in our Indian team now. That's the bravado people hate because getting cocky does not make your case stronger of being talented, unless you deliver worthwhile performance.

Hehe, Mumbai and Mumbai Indians IPL team have the same attitiue!! :hehe:

I personally hate them...coz am a Knightrider Fan and when the KnightRiders played da MI...at Eden...a guy called Abhishek Nayar frm their side...was asked wat u feel to play in front of such a huge croud at Eden Gardens??....In reply he said....am luking forward to shut da mouth of the croud here at Eden....dat suggests that...MI are just arrogant , dumb-headed...and Insulted our ground and croud at Eden.. Then wen the KnightRiders went to Mumbai to play the return leg the whole Knightrider team was Booo-ed... And when the Kings XI Punjab went to Mumbai..to play their return leg....evn they were boo-ed ...this suggests that not just the MI players but even da MI fans are arrogant, narrow minded...and hav no respect for cricket Guess wat happned aftr the Kings XI punjab Match??? In the presentation Ceremony Yuvraj Singh had few words for the MI fans..."Today the MI fans behaviour was quite unacceptable for us....i hav only i thing to say....don forget that few days later many of our team will be playing for India too"
This was my Opinion abt the Mumbai Indians IPL team 11 months back frm now!! Nothng much have chnged!! :hehe: This is my personal opinion though!!:winky: I knw aftr dis few MI fans will start bashing me!!:cantstop:
Why can't people be appreciative. Mumbai won cauz they played better thats it. why crying and cribbing.
Because this rubbish Mumbai team don;t know how to win gracefully. Agreed that the crowd may have been rowdy, but you gotta have some class in showing your dissent to the crowd. http://churumuri.wordpress.com/2010/01/14/finally-it-came-down-to-abh... "Finally, it came down to Abhishek Nayar’s balls... Abhishek Nayar’s antics, however, were the most disgraceful acts I have ever seen on a cricket field. He thrust his crotch at a section of the crowd, and at one point even seem to hold his balls in his hand, shouting repeatedly: “Come on.” His behavior in general seems to be as ugly as his batting stance, and notwithstanding his cricketing accomplishments, if such behaviour isn’t questioned or curbed, then shame on the authorities, and the media, if it remains silent." I don't call this khadoos. Classless.

Dude it seems like you cannot fathom the loss in a respectful manner and stooping to a level that you'd talk everything but cricket to show Mumbai in a bad light. P.S: I do not condone Nayar's action and hope the officials fine him per the regulations.

Mumbai were deserved winners.... However the rule that gave them a free ride to the semis(i.e league standings be damned, play the plate team because you made LAST years final) is godawful and needs to be scrapped....
But isnt that fairly common in sports? I mean in field Olympic games(hockey for example), the past winner and the hosts are qualified automatically while others have to fight for it. I think this is true in sports ranging from football, tennis and even bodybuilding where last year champs are automatic qualification.
But isnt that fairly common in sports? I mean in field Olympic games(hockey for example), the past winner and the hosts are qualified automatically while others have to fight for it. I think this is true in sports ranging from football, tennis and even bodybuilding where last year champs are automatic qualification.
No it's not common. Why play the league and have a points table? It's one thing if the Ranji was a knockout tournament the whole-hog with no league phase. I don't have a problem if Mumbai & UP were seeded 1 & 2 and we had a 32 team knockout. It's not a matter of qualification(I mean if Mumbai had not qualified by winning sufficient league games, they wouldn't have been "automatically" given a berth in the QFs). It's a matter of re-seeding based on last year's result after you've qualified playing this years league.

Dravid wants streamlined structure Dravid wants streamlined structure Former India captain Rahul Dravid finds the domestic calendar cramped and wants enough space between Ranji Trophy matches. Dravid wants enough space between Ranji Trophy matches so that the players can give their best. Dravid, who played for Karnataka in the semifinal of the Ranji Trophy before joining the Indian team in Bangladesh for the Test series there, said lack of breathing space between the matches could be one reason for the slew of draws. "Since the domestic season is very cramped, the teams don't want to tire their bowlers by trying to go for an outright win," Dravid said in an interview. "The amount of cricket we play at the domestic level needs to be looked into. It might mean cancelling one or two tournaments, so that there's a proper gap between the Ranji Trophy games," he said. "Maybe the spacing of the Ranji Trophy games could be a bit better to give the players a bit more rest between the games," added Dravid. With star players staying away because of national commitments and preference to rest their tiring body, Ranji Trophy has lost some of its sheen but Dravid insisted the frontline players need rest. "Some are playing all the year for India, it's not easy. You need a break," he said. Dravid advised state associations to roll out quality wickets if they were really interested in long-term development of their players. "Some people may play safe because they don't want to lose outright. But local associations must understand that if they want to develop good cricketers, they need their state players to play on good wickets. They might lose some matches, but in the long run they'll benefit," he explained. "I like the concept of neutral curators and the board is giving them a direction. And, to be fair, the quality of the wickets is improving," he said. The recent Ranji Trophy final in Mysore saw a decent turnout but Dravid said busy lifestyle makes it difficult for domestic tournaments to draw large crowd. "It's not that people are not interested. They still follow the scores religiously; it's just that they don't have the time, which is understandable. "It'd be a good idea to have AIR do live radio coverage of the games. They'd be surprised to see how many follow the games, especially their own state teams," he said.