Indian Duality

flamy

In India, we are always shepherded into one of the two streams by our parents: Doctor or Engineer. But, of course, not all of us want to do it. But, we still do it. Slowly, we get accustomed to it and start liking it. At least, it is true for me. I was kinda meh about being an Electronics Engineer, but now here I am beginning to like my work and enjoy doing it. But, that doesn't mean I have given up my dream of Writing. I'm doing that too on the side (though not as much I'd like to right now) If we learn to balance our work and our vocation, it is a strange celebration of life. Also, curiously and maybe even fallaciously (for surely this is not unique to just India), it is a celebration of my Indianness. :giggle: :isalute: I got on this train of thought because of this video: cjEtYe5W_HQ I know some of you would say that it is even better to be working in the field of your choice, but now in retorspect, I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the fact that I can juggle these two very different facets of mine. It makes me feel holistic. oh, and :rose:

To want to balance work and other vocations is a very noble thought I agree. But, whats being Indian got to do anything with it? If anything, we suck at it, compared to most of our western counterparts, who are much better at balancing work, leisure and fun.

To want to balance work and other vocations is a very noble thought I agree. But, whats being Indian got to do anything with it? If anything, we suck at it, compared to most of our western counterparts, who are much better at balancing work, leisure and fun.
Please speak for yourself morirs :finger: :icflove:

I guess what he means is that Indians are more likely to get forced into a career not of their choosing.

Oh noes..another self loathing Indian. :eyedance:

In high school, No interest in Maths No interest in Science No interest in Engineering Ironically, Looks like this is what I will do for a living - Electronic Engineering Now, Engineering - > No interest in anything else How times change
Keep your eyes and mind open man..you never know what you might find. :two_thumbs_up: :rose:

But' date=' whats being Indian got to do anything with it? If anything, we suck at it, compared to most of our western counterparts, who are much better at balancing work, leisure and fun.[/quote'] Just because you're bad at it doesn't mean all others are in the same boat. :aetsch:

But' date=' whats being Indian got to do anything with it? If anything, we suck at it, compared to most of our western counterparts, who are much better at balancing work, leisure and fun.[/quote'] Well... what I meant was even though our real interests are quenched and we follow a different stream, when we do get successful in the 'other' stream and get back to doing what we do best, it feels great. Whether everyone can do it or not is dependent on the individual. But, when someone does manage to do it, it's awesome. :nice: And, I said it is Indian because, the probability of people doing something other than what they want to do is high in India. :yay:

I was told this by a man much wiser than I: at any given time, you can only at most have 3 goals. One long-term career (research, in my case) goal, one short-term research/career goal, and one personal goal. Anymore than that, you won't achieve any.

I was told this by a man much wiser than I: at any given time' date=' you can only at most have 3 goals. One long-term career (research, in my case) goal, one short-term research/career goal, and one personal goal. Anymore than that, you won't achieve any.[/quote'] Good stuff! The personal goal needn't necessarily be related to the career goals.