Media reactions from around the world

DomainK

To Tendulkar's critics This was one of Sachin Tendulkar's best and, in many ways, the saddest innings. How could the Gods allow this; how could his mates not be inspired when thousands in stands and millions on telly were ready to step on the field and bat for him? This isn't time to coldly dissect the game. Instead, the story-writers must pick up their pens; the film-makers get behind their cameras; the playwrights roll out musicals in an ode to this heroism in an era when vested interests, thuggery and betrayals dominate our lives. It was as if Tendulkar wanted to cover up for all the mess of his mates: dropped catches, ordinary bowling and batting. It's miraculous how his genius survived the mediocrity around him. Dare one club the timidity of some of his team mates, with the ingenuity of this champion. This stuff was beyond mortals; don't forget he is 36. After yesterday it was as if he is 16 going on 17. Everyone else failed him. There is no point venting your ire on Jadeja or the tail. One is still finding his feet and the rest are bowlers. That they didn't do their known stuff either is a different matter. This column has lately been questioning the mental strength of this Indian team. It has now received a fresh coat of scepticism. India failed to cross over the line in last overs of two games; in the third it messed up with a lowly target. The tail too can't hide behind the unfamiliarity with batting. They are not there just to make up the numbers. If not Tendulkar, then Australia ought to have inspired the rest. The world champions are in an alien land. Midway through the series, injuries have completely forced them to field a new team. Yet they are the ones crossing the winning line. Just replay the catch of Dhoni and run-out of Praveen Kumar in your mind. Or how a youngster in Clint McKay, making his debut within hours of flying in as replacement, chips in with the best figures, including Tendulkar's wicket. Or how a near-century alone isn't enough to satisfy Shane Watson. He must have a good clutch of wickets to round up his feast. For Australia, everyone is standing up for the other. In India, even a Tendulkar can't find a kindred spirit. A legislation is now due to put Tendulkar's critics-dare they raise their voice again-behind bars. This man is a timeless classic. He is an inspiration for millions of Indians. He will need another special effort if India were to stay alive in this series. - Ravi Shastri http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/columnscricket/Wanted-Kindred-spirit-for-the-great-Tendulkar/473675/Article1-473661.aspx

A legislation is now due to put Tendulkar's critics-dare they raise their voice again-behind bars. This man is a timeless classic. He is an inspiration for millions of Indians. He will need another special effort if India were to stay alive in this series. - Ravi Shastri http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/columnscricket/Wanted-Kindred-spirit-for-the-great-Tendulkar/473675/Article1-473661.aspx
:hatsoff:
Another one: Hall of Fame: Sachin Tendulkar In the opinion of many former cricketers and critics, Sachin Tendulkar is the best batsman of his generation. By Rajesh Kumar An aggressive, right-handed opening batsman in One Day Internationals with every shot in the book, he is, in fact, a cricketing legend. The record books are studded with his superb performances in Tests as well as ODIs during the last two decades. Over the years, Sachin has played several outstanding innings in Tests and ODIs, the latest being 175 off 141 balls - an innings embellished with four sixes and nineteen fours - at a strike rate of 124.11 against Australia at Hyderabad on November 5, 2009. He had reached his hundred off 81 balls, establishing in the process an Indian record for the fastest hundred against Australia. During his 45th hundred, Sachin became the first batsman to complete 17,000 runs in ODIs apart from establishing several records in the process. His run-aggregate of 2995 (ave.46.79) in 66 ODIs against Australia is now the highest by any batsman against any opponent. Although Sachin finished on the losing side while posting his 45th century, he became the first player to post nine hundreds against Australia, which is a record for most hundreds against any opponent in ODIs. Justifiably, he was adjudged the Man of the Match, extending his record for most Man of the Match awards (60) in ODIs. Apart from one award as batsman of the series in the Singer World Series in Sri Lanka in 1994, he got 14 Player of the series awards, which is also a record. In the course of his 175 against Australia, Sachin became the first batsman to complete 6,000 runs in India - 6092 at an average of 46.15, including 17 hundreds and 34 fifties, in 149 matches. No other batsman has even managed to reach 3,500 on Indian soil. Thirty two of his 45 hundreds have resulted in the Indian victories, which is also a world record. He also holds a world record for most number of fifties (91). Apart from setting a record for the highest run-aggregate - 17168 runs at an average of 44.59 in 435 ODIs, Sachin holds a world record for amassing most runs in a calendar year - 1894 (ave.65.31) in 34 matches in 1998. He could accomplish the aforesaid run-aggregate during 1998, thanks only to his nine hundreds, which is also a record for most hundreds in a calendar year. Overall, Sachin has achieved the distinction of registering 1,000 runs or more in seven calendar years, another record held by him. His career-best, an unbeaten 186 off 150 balls at Hyderabad, Deccan on November 8, 1999 is a record for the highest individual innings against New Zealand. Sachin is the only batsman in the history of ODIs to have made 2000 runs or more against three opponents - Australia (2995), Sri Lanka (2749) and Pakistan (2389). Another important record held by him is for making most hundreds (6) in the Tournament finals, enabling India to register victories in all the finals while making hundreds. Sachin's aggregate of 1335 (ave.41.71) in 36 matches is a record in India-England ODIs. Also his aggregate of 1750 (ave.46.05) in 42 matches is a record in India-New Zealand ODIs. Apart from his 45 hundreds, Sachin has narrowly missed recording centuries seventeen times between 90 and 99, including three innings in the 'Nervous Ninety Nine' - one each against South Africa, England and Pakistan. No other batsman has recorded ten scores in the nervous nineties. With 175, Sachin has equalled Herschelle Gibbs' record for making most runs in an innings against Australia in ODIs. Gibbs had made 175 off 111 balls at Johannesburg on March 12, 2006. His 154 wickets (ave.44.19) in ODIs include two five-wicket hauls. His feat of becoming the first all-rounder in the history of ODIs to post a hundred and capture five wickets in an innings against Australia is unknown - 141 off 128 balls and 4 for 38 at Dhaka on October 28, 1998. As in ODIs, Sachin holds both the records i.e. highest run-aggregate (12,773) and centuries (42) in Tests. His tally of ten hundreds in 29 matches against Australia is bettered only by England's Sir Jack Hobbs - 12 in 41 Tests. Five times, he has recorded 1,000 runs or more in a calendar year - 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002 and 2068 - his best year in terms of run-aggregate being 2002, amassing 1,392 (ave.55.68) including four hundreds in 16 Tests. His tally of 34 centuries includes four double hundreds - one each against Australia, New Zealand, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. In the 2003-04 Sydney Test against Australia, he impressed everyone with his magnificent unbeaten innings of 241 and 60 to became the first batsman to register two unbeaten knocks, consisting of double century and a fifty in a Test match, against Australia. He deservingly got the Man of the Match award. Sachin (29951 runs) is now all set to become the first batsman to aggregate 30,000 international runs. And if you have patience to read then: Sachin Tendulkar is god .

Nice article

Dileep Premachandran quotes Mathew Hayden as saying: "When Tendulkar goes out to bat, it is beyond chaos -- it is a frantic appeal by a nation to one man." Maybe we should just stop parsing the numbers; maybe we should be grateful that every once in a while, Tendulkar hears that appeal, and responds as only he can. - Prem Panicker

Oh come on.."how could his mates not get inspired?" This is pushing it...did Ravi even watch how dhoni was dismissed? there is no effing thing u can do when a fielder pulls of a catch like that!! Bottom line is Tendulkar hadn't done much the whole series..and he did that (and much much more i might add) in the last game. But it must also be said that the reason why we are alive in this series to day is because of Dhoni - Gambhir partnership(2nd ODI) and Dhoni - Yuvraj partnership (3rd ODI). Imagine how Dhoni and especially Gambhir might feel on reading such articles?..come to think of it the thread titled "welcome to the 90's..India is a one man team again" is pretty insulting as well. Don't you guys remember the game against pak in ICC CT..Gambhir was the only guy that lay claim to having shown some spine. Even in the first ODI of this series I think it was GG who was there like a fort amid ruin all around him until Bhajji and Prav came out with that cameo. Praise Sachin..for praise he no doubt deserves for having played that innings. But its not right to criticize other players(successful ones at that) just because they didn't succeed in the matches in which he did. Afterall we hardly blame Sachin when he doesn't do much and one of the other guys like Gambhir, Dhoni etc win the game or make sure they save us some grace by getting near the target, do we? So its like speaking with a forked tongue to say things like "we are back in the nineties.." etc..because if we were the scoreline wouldn't be 3-2 it would be 5-0 by now.

Tendulkar and Raina were involved in 137 runs partnership. This is wrong on Shastri's part to say no one gave Sachin any support. Raina played very well and also scored in a hurry. With inform Tendulkar at one end, he was right in taking risks. It is very easy to have a hindsight and say he should not have played that shot but I think he did his part, its just unfortunate we lost.

Oh come on.."how could his mates not get inspired?" This is pushing it...did Ravi even watch how dhoni was dismissed? there is no effing thing u can do when a fielder pulls of a catch like that!! Bottom line is Tendulkar hadn't done much the whole series..and he did that (and much much more i might add) in the last game. But it must also be said that the reason why we are alive in this series to day is because of Dhoni - Gambhir partnership(2nd ODI) and Dhoni - Yuvraj partnership (3rd ODI). Imagine how Dhoni and especially Gambhir might feel on reading such articles?..come to think of it the thread titled "welcome to the 90's..India is a one man team again" is pretty insulting as well. Don't you guys remember the game against pak in ICC CT..Gambhir was the only guy that lay claim to having shown some spine. Even in the first ODI of this series I think it was GG who was there like a fort amid ruin all around him until Bhajji and Prav came out with that cameo. Praise Sachin..for praise he no doubt deserves for having played that innings. But its not right to criticize other players(successful ones at that) just because they didn't succeed in the matches in which he did. Afterall we hardly blame Sachin when he doesn't do much and one of the other guys like Gambhir, Dhoni etc win the game or make sure they save us some grace by getting near the target, do we? So its like speaking with a forked tongue to say things like "we are back in the nineties.." etc..because if we were the scoreline wouldn't be 3-2 it would be 5-0 by now.
I agree its slightly unfair on the players that have contributed in the other games. I guess emotions took over and memories of the 90's came back when he was carrying the team game in game out.
Tendulkar and Raina were involved in 137 runs partnership. This is wrong on Shastri's part to say no one gave Sachin any support. Raina played very well and also scored in a hurry. With inform Tendulkar at one end' date=' he was right in taking risks. It is very easy to have a hindsight and say he should not have played that shot but I think he did his part, its just unfortunate we lost.[/quote'] Shastri and Gavaskar cannot see anybody else beyond Tendulkar and even half of ICF junta. When the match was on and "India" had to chase a monumental 350 runs, Gavasakr was going on and on and how SRT was first to score 11,000, first to score 12,000, etc...till 17000. He repeated every 1,000 runs. That was so ****ing irritating. He was so much caught in the moment like a starry-eyed fan.
Excellent post. Damn goddy worshippers. :mad:

20 years on, Sachin stays hungry for more Relaxing in his hotel room in Guwahati not quite 24 hours after he single-handedly held the cricketing world in thrall, Sachin Tendulkar was excited and thoughtful by turn as he chatted with Pradeep Magazine about cricket and life. More... 20 years on, Sachin stays hungry for more The disappointed champ: Sachin Tendulkar reacts after getting out during the fifth ODI between India and Australia at the Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium in Hyderabad. Despite scoring 175 runs, India lost the match by 3 runs. Pradeep Magazine, Hindustan Times New Delhi, November 08, 2009 First Published: 01:21 IST(8/11/2009) Last Updated: 01:26 IST(8/11/2009) Relaxing in his hotel room in Guwahati not quite 24 hours after he single-handedly held the cricketing world in thrall, Sachin Tendulkar was excited and thoughtful by turn as he chatted about cricket and life. But if his knock caught his detractors on the wrong foot, the man himself — all of 36 and an incredible 20 years into the international game — said he was not surprised at knocking off 175 runs in 141 balls and running the Australians ragged in the process. “To be honest, I always knew I could do it,” Tendulkar told HT from Guwahati. And no, racking up 75 runs in singles, twos and threes did not tire him. On the contrary, he thinks that has been his strength. “Many of the hundreds I scored, there was a lot of running involved,” he said. I still do my regular routine (at the nets)… You do a lot of running. I always focus more on that aspect of the game. I feel if I could run well between the wickets, most of the other things would be taken care of.” And by his own reckoning, he has many more left in him. Tendulkar has no plans to retire, not now, not anytime soon. He said the thought of giving up cricket had not even crossed his mind. “Not at this stage. I am enjoying my game and there is cricket left in me. At this stage I’m not thinking of it at all. At some stage one will have to, but I don't need to think about that right now. I’m just saying that when the situation arises, it'll then be appropriate to think about it. Right now, that’s not something I want to do.” What he is really looking forward to is winning the next World Cup, in 2011, playing under the man he considers a kindred spirit on the field: M.S. Dhoni. “Dhoni and my thought processes are the same. Whatever I would’ve done, he’s pretty close to my thinking.”

:dito::good:
Nice Post! As for the title, it was changed by mods :dontknow:

Born to bat SACHIN TENDULKAR will celebrate 20 years as an international in a week's time. It's a heck of a long time and it has gone in the blink of an eye. More... 20 not out Born to bat ... Tendulkar’s 20-year cricketing career has been an incredible journey on which he has scored an avalanche of runs - and made it look easy. Peter Roebuck November 8, 2009 SACHIN TENDULKAR will celebrate 20 years as an international in a week's time. It's a heck of a long time and it has gone in the blink of an eye. When Tendulkar first took guard in his country's colours, the Berlin Wall had just fallen, Nelson Mandela was behind bars, Allan Border was captaining Australia and India was a patronised country known for its dust, poverty, timid batsmen and other outdated caricatures. In those days Tendulkar was a tousle-haired cherub prepared to stand his ground against all comers, including Wasim Akram and the most menacing of the Australians, Merv Hughes. Now he is a tousle-haired elder still standing firm, still driving and cutting, still retaining some of the impudence of youth but nowadays bearing also the sagacity of age. It has been an incredible journey, a trip that figures alone cannot define. Not that the statistics lack weight. To the contrary they are astonishing, almost mind-boggling. Tendulkar has a scored an avalanche of runs, thousands upon thousands of them in every form of the game. He has reached three figures 87 times in the colours of his country and all the while has somehow retained his freshness, somehow avoided the mechanical, the repetitive and the predictable. Perhaps that has been part of it, the ability to retain the precious gift of youth so that it is not swamped by the knowledge that time alone can bring. Alongside Shane Warne, Tendulkar has been the most satisfying cricketer of his generation. The Indian master's feats are prodigious. He has scored as many runs overseas as in his backyard, has flogged Brett Lee at his fastest and Warne at his most obtuse, has flourished against swing and cut, prospered in damp and dry. Nor can his record be taken for granted. Batsmen exist primarily to score runs. It is a damnably difficult task made to look easy by a handful of expert practitioners. Others have promised and fallen back, undone by the demands, unable to meet the moment. Tendulkar has kept going, hunger unabated. In part he has lasted so long because there has been so little inner strain. It's hard to think of a player remotely comparable who has spent so little energy conquering himself. Throughout he has been able to concentrate on overcoming his opponents. But it has not only been about runs. Along the way Tendulkar has provided an unsurpassed blend of the sublime and the precise. In him, the technical and the natural sit side by side, friends not enemies, allies deep in conversation. Romantics talk about those early morning trips to Shivaji Park in Mumbai, and the child eager to erect the nets and anxious to bat until someone took his wicket. They want to believe that toil alone can produce that straight drive and a bat so broad that periodically it is measured. But it was not like that. From the start the lad had an uncanny way of executing his strokes perfectly. His boyhood coaches insist that their role was to ensure that he remained unspoilt. Sensing that he knew the game inside out, they were wise enough to leave him to his own devices, let him work it out for himself. There was no apprenticeship. Tendulkar was born to bat. Over the decades it has been Tendulkar's rare combination of mastery and boldness that has delighted connoisseurs and crowds alike. More than any other batsman, even Brian Lara, Tendulkar's batting has provoked gasps of admiration. A single withering drive dispatched along the ground eluding the bowler, placed unerringly between fieldsmen, could provoke wonder even among the oldest hands. A solitary square cut was enough to make a spectator's day. Tendulkar might lose his wicket cheaply but he is incapable of playing an ugly stroke. His defence might have been designed by Christopher Wren. And alongside these muscular orthodoxies could be found ornate flicks through the on-side, glides off his bulky pads that sent tight deliveries dashing on unexpected journeys into the back and beyond. Viv Richards could terrorise an attack with pitiless brutality, Lara could dissect bowlers with surgical and magical strokes, Tendulkar can take an attack apart with towering simplicity. Nor has Tendulkar ever stooped to dullness or cynicism. Throughout his wits have remained sharp and originality has been given its due. He has, too, been remarkably constant. In those early appearances, he relished the little improvisations calculated to send bowlers to the madhouse, cheeky strokes that told of ability and nerve. For a time thereafter he put them into the cupboard, not because respectability beckoned or responsibility weighed him down but because they were not required. Shot selection, his very sense of the game, counts among his strengths. On his most recent trip to Australia, though, he decided to restore audacity, cheekily undercutting lifters, directing the ball between fieldsmen, shots the bowlers regarded as beyond the pale. Even in middle age he remains unbroken. And yet, even this, the runs, the majesty, the thrill, does not capture his achievement. Reflect upon his circumstances and then marvel at his longevity. Here is a man obliged to put on disguises so that he can move around the streets, a fellow able to drive his cars only in the dead of night for fear or creating a commotion, a father forced to take his family holidays in Iceland because he might escape recognition in those parts, a person whose entire adult life has been lived in the eye of a storm. Throughout he has been public property, India's proudest possession, a young man and yet also a source of joy for millions, a sportsman and yet, too, an expression of a vast and ever-changing nation. Somehow he has managed to keep the world in its rightful place. Somehow he has raised children who relish his company and tease him about his batting. Whenever he loses his wicket in the 90s, a not uncommon occurrence, his oldest asks why he does not ''hit a sixer''. Somehow he has emerged with an almost untarnished reputation. Inevitably mistakes have been made. Something about a car, something else about a cricket ball and suggestions that he had stretched the facts to assist his pal Harbhajan Singh. But then he is no secular saint. It's enough that he is expected to bat better than anyone else. It's hardly fair to ask him to match Mother Teresa as well. At times India has sprung too quickly to his defence, as if a point made against him was an insult to the nation, as if he was beyond censure. A poor LBW decision against him - and he has had his allotment - can all too easily be turned into a cause celebre. Happily, Tendulkar has always retained his equanimity. He is a sportsman as well as a cricketer. By no means has it been the least of his contributions and it explains his standing in the game. And there has been another quality that has sustained him, a trait whose importance cannot be overstated. Not long ago Keith Richards was asked how the Rolling Stones had spent so many decades on the road, made so many records, put up with so much attention. His reply was as simple as it as telling. ''We love it, we just love playing,'' he explained. And so it has always has been with Tendulkar. It's never been hard for him to play cricket. The hard part will be stopping. But he will take into retirement a mighty record and the knowledge that he has given enormous pleasure to followers of the game.