2011 WC is going to be a big bore

bunny

I vaguely remember the last WC as i didnt really follow it after the Indian exit.I've heard about the finals fiasco but didn't know it was that bad.
It was quite worse. The security blokes went after Ponting with his automatic rifle is what I read from McGrath's book. They stood the security guy down after a cop intervened and defused the situation but it left a bad taste the tourney. FYI......
Triumphant captain Ricky Ponting was allegedly "shouldered" by a Barbados police officer as the Australians celebrated their World Cup victory on Kensington Oval. A week after the Australians created history by winning their third consecutive World Cup, details have emerged of the drama when the squad tried to perform their victory song a few hours after their 53-run win over Sri Lanka. The Sun-Herald understands the players were on the centre wicket when local police, two of whom were armed with machine-guns, ordered them from the playing field. The officer in charge, whom witnesses described as overly aggressive and forceful, was not prepared to listen when Ponting asked that his team be left for two minutes to sing the song. He demanded the team and its support staff leave the ground immediately. The officer then allegedly used his shoulder to bump into Ponting and became more agitated. When the players stepped forward to protect their skipper they were warned they were at risk of being arrested. It is believed all-rounder Andrew Symonds intervened and helped defuse the situation by suggesting the team call it a night. The Australian team's two security officials, who were high-ranking Caribbean police officers, ordered the policeman who caused the trouble to "stand down". Ponting was not able to be contacted yesterday but Cricket Australia spokesman Peter Young confirmed the police had ordered the players off the field. "It was around the time the players were due to go back to their hotel, but they wanted to sing their team song, as is their habit after big tournaments, at centre wicket," Young said. "However, the police were at the end of their shift and they told the players to move on. They did and went back to the team hotel, where they sang the song by the pool. Glenn McGrath led the song." Sergeant Rock of the Barbados police said yesterday he was unaware of a disturbance between police and the Australian team. "That is news to me," he said. "I haven't heard anything about that." The incident was the last in a line of World Cup public relations disasters that led many observers to call it the worst sporting event ever staged. As well as Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer's murder, there were massive scheduling issues and administrative difficulties as well as many lopsided matches. The cup created other headaches for the players and team management. They had to deal with "stitch-up" photographs taken by people purporting to be Australian supporters. The Sun-Herald has been told of an incident involving Symonds as he and some teammates enjoyed themselves at a nightclub. A tourist dressed in an Australian supporter's shirt grabbed him in a headlock while his mate stood by with a camera. It appeared as if the pair wanted Symonds to react in a way that would create controversy. The allrounder, however, showed restraint by leaving the club. A photograph published last month showed Ponting, Australian batsman Mike Hussey and a female supporter at a party. It had the headline: "Is Punter really off the booze?"
Ireland keeps trying' date=' they should have been a Test Nation by now. Their cricketers take time out from their jobs and still pwn Bangladesh time and again, with Test membership they can become full time cricketers and become much better. I read a news article where they said there's no stepping stone between being at the top of associate's group to becoming a Test nation. ICC needs to show Ireland some support already before cricket craze dies down over there.[/quote'] Let alone test membership they don't even get to play against the likes of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh enough. I think it is very unfair of ICC not to admint Ireland now when they have a few good players. They could at least be playing constantly against the second rung teams. This is why there is a definite need for two tiers of test cricket. Ireland can definitely challenge Bangladesh, WI, NZ and even Pakistan in test cricket.

ICC is inept. It took Dalmiya to make ICC into a profitable organization. Since he is gone, it has gone back to its roots. WICB is probably worse . So i am not surprised that when these two boards came together they managed the "worst sporting event ever staged". Ofcourse it could have been worse. A WC in asia without BCCI managing.PCB, BC CB, SLCB + ICC would probably push ICC into bankruptcy and kill the world cup.

42 group-stage matches out of which 30 involve at least one minnow. These 42 matches span almost a month. So more often than not if you switch on your TV during Feb-Mar'11, there will be a minnow match going on. I might end up hating ODIs by the end of it all.
i agree wtf 30 games vs. minnows, the champions trophy was far more entertaining
When he defatted you it was no fluke we will do it again. * last team we beat india and RSA thats 2 unless u don't know how to count Retard)
Since then you have won a grand total of 2 games against the big boys. 2 out of 30. Take a probability course retard. PS : You might wanna check what you typed before you call someone else a retard, retard!
Last world cup was a sham not because India went out but the way the game was organized was pathetic. The finals must be the worst finals ever conducted in any sport. First the rain, then the cut short game, then the umpires directing Australia and Sri Lanka they will have to come back to play the last 3 overs the next day :(( It just took the sheen out of the world cup. The locals didn't even bother watching the games simply because the ticket prices were so high it wasn't worth it. The umpires and officials were inept. It was good Mahela accepted to just play the last few overs in pitch dark otherwise Aussies had to come back to win the next day. The game by then was concluded in Aussies favour anyways. Even worst bit was the secutiry folks asking the Aussies to bugger off from the ground as they shift was up. It was so stupid of the ICC the way they conducted the world cup. If ICC was a corporate the heads would have rolled.
I think the departure of India and Pakistan played a bit part in the tournament being a flop, many people lost interest after that
Last world cup was a sham not because India went out but the way the game was organized was pathetic. The finals must be the worst finals ever conducted in any sport. First the rain, then the cut short game, then the umpires directing Australia and Sri Lanka they will have to come back to play the last 3 overs the next day :(( It just took the sheen out of the world cup. The locals didn't even bother watching the games simply because the ticket prices were so high it wasn't worth it. The umpires and officials were inept. It was good Mahela accepted to just play the last few overs in pitch dark otherwise Aussies had to come back to win the next day. The game by then was concluded in Aussies favour anyways. Even worst bit was the secutiry folks asking the Aussies to bugger off from the ground as they shift was up. It was so stupid of the ICC the way they conducted the world cup. If ICC was a corporate the heads would have rolled.
I think the departure of India and Pakistan played a bit part in the tournament being a flop' date=' many people lost interest after that[/quote'] n Bob Woolmer's untimely death.completely took the attention away from cricket
42 group-stage matches out of which 30 involve at least one minnow. These 42 matches span almost a month. So more often than not if you switch on your TV during Feb-Mar'11, there will be a minnow match going on. I might end up hating ODIs by the end of it all.
y dont the ICC learn learn from their mistakes in staging these big tournaments

That`s absolute BS. ICC will never learn from its mistakes:whack: The scenario is something like this Two groups of 7 teams each which include 3 minnows. Top 4 would reach the qt. finals meaning winning against any one of the top teams isn`t necessary as long as you hammer the minnows. In the quarter finals, a team which won all its group stage matches can lose and get kicked out by a team which lost all its group stage matches against stronger oppositon Shame on you ICC!!!!!!!!!! Most of the tournament will be spent like this :yawn2:

That`s absolute BS. ICC will never learn from its mistakes:whack: The scenario is something like this Two groups of 7 teams each which include 3 minnows. Top 4 would reach the qt. finals meaning winning against any one of the top teams isn`t necessary as long as you hammer the minnows. In the quarter finals, a team which won all its group stage matches can lose and get kicked out by a team which lost all its group stage matches against stronger oppositon Shame on you ICC!!!!!!!!!! Most of the tournament will be spent like this :yawn2:
Yo, why are you worried about that? It works perfectly for your team, that's how the robbers got in through the backdoor in the T20 WC didn't they?:winky: