Breaking News: CAT (IIM entrance exam) servers across India crash

ViruRulez

Just saw this in the news. They are saying CAT was being held online this year. And the CAT servers have crashed in between the exam and all CAT centers across India are not being able to complete the online exam for students due to the server crash. What was that? How could the most important entrance exam (considering IIT and IAS 2nd and 3rd resp.) crash? They should have taken better set of servers and should have calculated the traffic beforehand. Hope the students are able to complete the test properly :pray:

CAT exam has been abandoned for today and will be rescheduled another day as per news channels. CAT exam convener says that the servers did not crash but were overloaded. Maybe they should have discussed with some IITians to know the capacity required for the servers etc. Have they never built any website or worked on servers previously. There would have been lakhs of hits (maybe millions of hits) at the exam time (as there are lakhs of candidates) and so they should have got a high capacity network of servers.

Thats a ****ing shame god-damnit. First of all you need ~99.5 percentile to get an interview :lmao: and now this tension. :banghead:
I agree.. Some students were feeling bad especially the ones are from far-off places from their centers.. this has been one of main news in news channels since afternoon BTW I was thinking that what would happen to those students who are from rural areas and dont know to use the computer and mouse etc. Will they not be face more problems in handing the computer and mouse and replying the questions compared to the regular computer users in an online exam. CAT is attended by almost all students including people from villages, rural areas etc. who might not have used much computers.

CAT is attended by almost all students including people from villages' date=' rural areas etc. who might not have used much computers.[/quote'] I doubt if there are any significant number of students from proper villages /rural areas appearing for cat examinations. Its mainly people from metros tier-1 tier-2 cities.Infact doubt if they have even heard of cat exams mostly they appear for govt exams rather than cat exams.Infact the number of student applying this yr has dipped because they decided to go online. Lets see how IIMS emerge from all this.After all they are premier management institute and avoid the ripple effect since the exams held over a period of 10 days this time

I doubt if there are any significant number of students from proper villages /rural areas appearing for cat examinations. Its mainly people from metros tier-1 tier-2 cities.Infact doubt if they have even heard of cat exams mostly they appear for govt exams rather than cat exams.Infact the number of student applying this yr has dipped because they decided to go online. Lets see how IIMS emerge from all this.After all they are premier management institute and avoid the ripple effect since the exams held over a period of 10 days this time
You have no idea. There is a huge crowd from the rural areas that apply and content for CAT, IAS, Medical, IIT and every damn competitive entrance exam you can think of. And they do out number their urban competitors by a huge margin.

You have no idea. There is a huge crowd from the rural areas that apply and content for CAT' date= IAS, Medical, IIT and every damn competitive entrance exam you can think of. And they do out number their urban competitors by a huge margin.
No idea about medical or IAS, but there is no coming to the IITs directly from the villages. In my batch we had like 3 people whose parents still lived in a village, but they had been educated in nearby cities/towns during highschool. In IIMs, I cannot imagine there being a serious candidate living in a village.

No idea about medical or IAS, but there is no coming to the IITs directly from the villages. In my batch we had like 3 people whose parents still lived in a village, but they had been educated in nearby cities/towns during highschool. In IIMs, I cannot imagine there being a serious candidate living in a village.
I talking about the entrance exams. I know it because crappy coaching centers do handsome business these days in the rural areas. Students get lured by the attractive careers and end up spending their fathers' hard earned money in these thug institutes. Most of them settle for small time engineering colleges or management institutes that are mushrooming all over these days. But when they set out for the preparations, the target is usually nothing less than the IITs or the IIMs.

4th day in a row the exams have failed. This is unbelievable. Prometric, the US agency in charge of the test says it's a virus attack. It seems not quite the case as the exams were not really on the internet. They were supposed to be held on local servers which were to be connected to a central server later. The computers were supposed not to have any other application but the exam software. There is no way a virus attack could spread to so many center together. Besides, it seems the exams are very confusing. The buttons to be clicked are not even properly captioned. There is a button captioned N, pressing which concludes the exam irreversibly without taking a cautionary verification from the student if he really wants to conclude the exam. The CAT representatives on site were not trained to assist the students understand the interface. This is shameful.

lol management institutes of such repute cant even manage to hold a simple online exam properly. Abt 8000 out of total of 45000 students appeared till now have had their exams rescheduled
I don't think it can be blamed on the IIMs as the entire job was given to a credible organization from the US. Prometrics also holds other known online exams like TOEFL. The same exam software was used as well. What went wrong is yet to be understood (no one buys the virus theory), but it can hardly be blamed on the IIMs or on India. What the IIMs can be blamed of though, is the lack of a contingency plan. Where is the back up if something went wrong?

And we're the so-called IT powerhouse of the world... Excellent.
Indian servers are one of the worst in the world and everybody knows it. The servers in the US and some countries of Europe including UK and Netherlands are good ones. Even ICF is hosted on US servers. I also do not have any website on Indian server neither does most Indian webmasters. IT and servers are not related to that extent IMO>

Indian servers are one of the worst in the world and everybody knows it. The servers in the US and some countries of Europe including UK and Netherlands are good ones. Even ICF is hosted on US servers. I also do not have any website on Indian server neither does most Indian webmasters. IT and servers are not related to that extent IMO>
whats 'Indian" servers supposed to mean here ?