Cricinfo on why sehwag lost his Vice Captaincy.

Bumper

Sehwag at the crossroads Anand Vasu and Siddhartha Vaidyanathan Lost amid the din over Sourav Ganguly's return to the Indian team was the removal of Virender Sehwag from the vice-captain's post. Yet it's a decision with greater long-term implications, involving as it does a player who should be in the prime of his career and who has the potential to be peerless in his time, but who is instead in a deep slump in form. There are, as always, two sides to the story but the story itself is a depressingly familiar one of miscommunication and mistrust. The case against Sehwag is of indiscipline, his defence is a deep-rooted sense of hurt and a bruised ego. Falling between the two are missed runs for the player and missed opportunities for his team. On the face of it this is a slap on the wrist for Sehwag. Rumours about an attitude problem - specifically that he did not stick to dietary and training prescriptions when away from the side - have been doing the rounds for a while. Indeed, his falling out with his coach Greg Chappell dates back to the latter's early days, and the sacking of Ganguly - whom Sehwag was relatively close to - as India captain. The problems simmered and, in the months since, Sehwag has developed a reputation, among certain sections of the team at least, as being way too detached from the rest. He was perceived as lacking ambition - being satisfied with one big knock - and perhaps content with what he'd achieved so far. Given his prodigious talent, it was felt he wasn't pulling his weight . That, too, became an issue, along with his fitness. The immediate cause of his demotion, say top sources in the Indian board (BCCI), is the belief that he's been leaking damaging and disruptive stories to sections of the media. Cricinfo has learnt that several people in the board felt it was unacceptable that Sehwag was talking to the press about things that should have stayed in the dressing room. "We know where these stories are coming from," said a top BCCI official. "We wanted to send a clear message to all the players that such behaviour is not acceptable." Another factor that probably came into play was, ironically, Ganguly. There was a real danger (since abated) of Rahul Dravid not being able to lead the side in the first Test, which would have left Sehwag leading a team including Ganguly. The fear was that Ganguly would then lead by proxy and with this in mind, the selectors named VVS Laxman as vice-captain. Yet those close to Sehwag say he's been misunderstood and is nurturing a sense of hurt that he hasn't been given his due status in the team's brains trust. He believes Chappell has been talking about him - in not very complimentary tones - to journalists behind his back, and that's where the trust broke down. Though he was appointed Rahul Dravid's vice-captain, he was never in sync with the thinking of the Chappell-Dravid combine and found it hard to fit in. He believed he was being cut out of the planning and his inputs were not asked for. There was also the clash of cultures. Ganguly and Wright, especially the captain, gave Sehwag leeway, believing that treating him gently would bring out the best in him. Chappell's has been the direct Australian approach, and Sehwag possibly felt that the straight-talking was not something a vice-captain should hear. There is a point of view that Sehwag is caught up in a mixture of boredom and insecurity, that he needs to be challenged, not threatened. That belief relies on evidence from matches when Sehwag has captained India, even at Port Elizabeth on Wednesday; he's at his animated best, buzzing with ideas, several times more active and attentive on the field. That's when he really seems to be enjoying his cricket. Having been relieved of the vice-captaincy, Sehwag can react in two ways. He could either retreat further into his shell, perceiving this as yet another slight to his talents. Or he could shake off the shackles that the vice-captaincy imposed on him, the expectations it bred in his mind, and concomitantly, the perception that they remain unrealised; he could leave all that behind and seize what lies ahead. What others see as a slap on the wrist he could see as a gauntlet thrown down by the selectors: Do you still have it in you? Only he can prove that he has.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Cricinfo on why sehwag lost his Vice Captaincy. unhealthy dressing room ... so vc got changed because dada got selected bloody conceited punks...they will never ever com close to dada's achievements .. keep conspiring u idiots

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Cricinfo on why sehwag lost his Vice Captaincy. aren't u guys crying like little babaies these days me included with those 50+ average guys at helm:-) enough said I know it hurts but these clowns will never ever match dada's captaincy

Re: Cricinfo on why sehwag lost his Vice Captaincy. DR losing the plot ... this is the kind of blind advocacy this forum was meant to move away from. I hope Gangs does well just as I hope all Indian players to well. Fact of the matter is that the chances of that happening are slim given his form over the last 18 months.

Re: Cricinfo on why sehwag lost his Vice Captaincy. Sehwag is from a rural upbringing. I presume, for such a lad, loyalty & good will to his God father(s)/big brother(s) is uncompromisable. There is a huge cultural difference between the urban boys Tendu/Dravid & the rural ones like Sehwag, in the way they think. I think Sehwag sees, not backing Ganguly as a cardinal sin, even if it is at the expense of his career. This type of loyalty is a double edged sword, it can inspire both the best & worst qualities in you as a cricketer.

Re: Cricinfo on why sehwag lost his Vice Captaincy. Shewag knew he will get away with his inconsistent form with Dada being the leader (who himself was same or worse) than Dravid and hence his support.The committment Dravid shows in his work is sure to make life uncomfotable for those with 'I care a fuk' attitude (used to be shewag, Bhajji,zaheer and yuvy). Whatever might be the real motive, stripping off VC will help the mgnt drop him selectively when needed.Thats the biggest plus IMO.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Cricinfo on why sehwag lost his Vice Captaincy.

Sehwag is from a rural upbringing. I presume, for such a lad, loyalty & good will to his God father(s)/big brother(s) is uncompromisable. There is a huge cultural difference between the urban boys Tendu/Dravid & the rural ones like Sehwag, in the way they think. I think Sehwag sees, not backing Ganguly as a cardinal sin, even if it is at the expense of his career. This type of loyalty is a double edged sword, it can inspire both the best & worst qualities in you as a cricketer.
It's moot point, Sehwa is niether selector nor coach nor captain and has virtually no say in who gets selected and who doesn't. But these senioir players devising these behind scene like Chanakya figure of political parties doesn't augur well for long term health of dressing room. Most of all whichever way u look at Sehwag has been million times better in tst arena his performance is wobbly only in one day where incidently he is still a Vice Captain.
Guest dada_rocks

DR losing the plot ... this is the kind of blind advocacy this forum was meant to move away from. I hope Gangs does well just as I hope all Indian players to well. Fact of the matter is that the chances of that happening are slim given his form over the last 18 months.
Which part comes of as blind advocacy. Each and everyone here more less feels demoting sehwag from vc status in test team was uncalled for because his form never dipped in that form of cricket. Now the big boys under fear of ganguly's influence have devised his demotion and that's what i am poiting out. now let me know which part doesn;t make sense to u and why
Guest dada_rocks

Shewag knew he will get away with his inconsistent form with Dada being the leader (who himself was same or worse) than Dravid and hence his support.The committment Dravid shows in his work is sure to make life uncomfotable for those with 'I care a fuk' attitude (used to be shewag, Bhajji,zaheer and yuvy). Whatever might be the real motive, stripping off VC will help the mgnt drop him selectively when needed.Thats the biggest plus IMO.
Sehwag's perfromance has been nothig but exceptional in test arena before or after dada it hardly matters.. heck dada is comign into the team in capacity of a player not captain. I wonder why people like dravid are so insecure , heck show some result u have nothgn to worry.

Re: Cricinfo on why sehwag lost his Vice Captaincy. Dada, before you knock Dravid, spare a thought for what the man has achieved. Has somebody come and told you that Dravid and Sehwag don't get along and the captain spilled the beans on his VC? If not, please don't spread rumors and innuendo about a great man. It smacks of pettiness.

Guest dada_rocks

Dada, before you knock Dravid, spare a thought for what the man has achieved. Has somebody come and told you that Dravid and Sehwag don't get along and the captain spilled the beans on his VC? If not, please don't spread rumors and innuendo about a great man. It smacks of pettiness.
Well i have nothing but respect for his batting ditto with sachin but never had much favourable opinion about their leadershi skills and episodes like these are not helping their case either. These stories most of the time come of as fact have seen in last on year drama in each and every case rumour mongers have always gotten it right. If this is wrong then my heart-felt apologies to these gentlemn but sthg tells me they are capabale of all this.

Re: Cricinfo on why sehwag lost his Vice Captaincy. Let's be honest Ganguly, Chappell, Harbhajan and Sehwag are all highly political. They have been in news for wrong reasons more often than not. It doesn't take a genius to figure out these guys have their own agenda. I'm not happy with the stripping of Sehwag's VC but I'm not worried either. If Sehwag can show great form with the bat he will always make a comeback as captain. He has plenty of years still. How many times haven't we seen the four listed above approaching the media and trying to create a bit of rift in the team??? I remember Sehwag, Harbhajan openly going around criticizing the team in the media. They lacked discipline and integrity then. After the BCCI had warned them they put stopped going to the media every now and then. Similarly Yuvraj Singh was treading the same path. Soon he realised it was not the way to go and once he started to concentrate more on his cricket he became a better cricketer. GC is no saint and has done enough damage already approaching the media every other time. This loose cannon has been warned many times but still this fella cannot stop himself from going to the media. Less said about Ganguly the better. If you even wonder where all these factions and frictions started, you will have to start with the name "Saurav Ganguly". Once a close mate of GC found him too hot to handle where discipline was concerned. Ganguly was one of the biggest conspirators behind all this mess. GC, Ganguly, Harbhajan and Sehwag are one bad family. I just hope Indian cricket isn?t buggered by these politicking men :mad:

Guest dada_rocks

Let's be honest Ganguly, Chappell, Harbhajan and Sehwag are all highly political. They have been in news for wrong reasons more often than not. It doesn't take a genius to figure out these guys have their own agenda. I'm not happy with the stripping of Sehwag's VC but I'm not worried either. If Sehwag can show great form with the bat he will always make a comeback as captain. He has plenty of years still. How many times haven't we seen the four listed above approaching the media and trying to create a bit of rift in the team??? I remember Sehwag, Harbhajan openly going around criticizing the team in the media. They lacked discipline and integrity then. After the BCCI had warned them they put stopped going to the media every now and then. Similarly Yuvraj Singh was treading the same path. Soon he realised it was not the way to go and once he started to concentrate more on his cricket he became a better cricketer. GC is no saint and has done enough damage already approaching the media every other time. This loose cannon has been warned many times but still this fella cannot stop himself from going to the media. Less said about Ganguly the better. If you even wonder where all these factions and frictions started, you will have to start with the name "Saurav Ganguly". Once a close mate of GC found him too hot to handle where discipline was concerned. Ganguly was one of the biggest conspirators behind all this mess. GC, Ganguly, Harbhajan and Sehwag are one bad family. I just hope Indian cricket isn?t buggered by these politicking men :mad:
I don't think Dada did anythng wrong other than succumbing to the constant pestering question of Harsha Bhogle viz a viz suggesiton of him being dropped. Same with rest media guys hound thes people once in a while sthg slips their mouth. Bhajji didn't say what he said on behest of Dada or anyone chappel was making everyign befuddled, it has not vanished even now only thing is that due to gaga order these guys avoid media glare like a hawk hence everything remains bottled up. OTOH what insecure chappel/dravid are doing is there for everyone to see. Point takne sehwag is on the right side of age-cdivide and can always come back as captain but this dropping was not due to blip in his form it has other political reasons. Mind you politics begets politics tomorrow sehawg too will become captain.

Let's be honest Ganguly, Chappell, Harbhajan and Sehwag are all highly political. They have been in news for wrong reasons more often than not. It doesn't take a genius to figure out these guys have their own agenda. I'm not happy with the stripping of Sehwag's VC but I'm not worried either. If Sehwag can show great form with the bat he will always make a comeback as captain. He has plenty of years still. How many times haven't we seen the four listed above approaching the media and trying to create a bit of rift in the team??? I remember Sehwag, Harbhajan openly going around criticizing the team in the media. They lacked discipline and integrity then. After the BCCI had warned them they put stopped going to the media every now and then. Similarly Yuvraj Singh was treading the same path. Soon he realised it was not the way to go and once he started to concentrate more on his cricket he became a better cricketer. GC is no saint and has done enough damage already approaching the media every other time. This loose cannon has been warned many times but still this fella cannot stop himself from going to the media. Less said about Ganguly the better. If you even wonder where all these factions and frictions started, you will have to start with the name "Saurav Ganguly". Once a close mate of GC found him too hot to handle where discipline was concerned. Ganguly was one of the biggest conspirators behind all this mess. GC, Ganguly, Harbhajan and Sehwag are one bad family. I just hope Indian cricket isn?t buggered by these politicking men :mad:
I don't think Dada did anythng wrong other than succumbing to the constant pestering question of Harsha Bhogle viz a viz suggesiton of him being dropped. Same with rest media guys hound thes people once in a while sthg slips their mouth. Bhajji didn't say what he said on behest of Dada or anyone chappel was making everyign befuddled, it has not vanished even now only thing is that due to gaga order these guys avoid media glare like a hawk hence everything remains bottled up. OTOH what insecure chappel/dravid are doing is there for everyone to see. Point takne sehwag is on the right side of age-cdivide and can always come back as captain but this dropping was not due to blip in his form it has other political reasons. Mind you politics begets politics tomorrow sehawg too will become captain.
Come on Dada I'm sure you are better informed than this. Ganguly is one of the biggest culprits for this state of affairs in Indian cricket. Dalmiya, Harbhajan, Sehwag are all pawns in his political game. GC is no less, he is as worse as Ganguly. You think the commentators aren?t informed enough about goes on in the changing room? They are all well informed and they have lot of mates in the team. Harsha Bogle asking the said question was all staged. All Ganguly was trying to do was rile up the public against GC by prompting the commentator at the end of the day to ask pre set question. Unfortunately for Ganguly it back fired. All Ganguly then wanted was sacking of GC and GC wanted Ganguly to be taken off the team. It could have worked either way but GC was pretty new to the team then so Ganguly?s ploy didn?t work. Ganguly always was a person that best protected his interests first. In fact he also did enough damage to create rift between Rahul and Tendulkar but luckily enough they were both mature men and sorted out the issue themselves. If you did not know Ganguly had a hand in robbing Tendulkar of the double hundred. Next day of course in the media Ganguly went on to say Rahul did a mistake. Rahul wasn?t happy with this and took it up with Ganguly who had to then say his statement was misquoted. This is all one huge drama. I have high regard for Ganguly as a passionate cricketer and also for his cricketing skills but that is where the buck stops. Ganguly was a good captain and lead very well but he is one of the most political characters in Indian cricket whether you like it or not. Unfortunately the rest of the players try and play his game instead of working on their cricket. Sehwag is just another fella in this saga.