Thank You Thread

Jersey #10

So many to list: Kumble, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag, Gambhir, Ganguly, Zaheer (his return to form is awesome), Sreesanth (for this series and the one in SA ), Harbhajan (again, he's been steady for us- tried his hardest everytime - I wont say he's bowled as well as he could but we can say that about quite a few people). Coaching staff. Everyone. Oh, and MSD. :hail: Its hard to say, because everyone who's played for India in the last few years deserve to be congratulated.

So many to list: Kumble, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag, Gambhir, Ganguly, Zaheer (his return to form is awesome), Sreesanth (for this series and the one in SA ), Harbhajan (again, he's been steady for us- tried his hardest everytime - I wont say he's bowled as well as he could but we can say that about quite a few people). Coaching staff. Everyone. Oh, and MSD. :hail: Its hard to say, because everyone who's played for India in the last few years deserve to be congratulated.
you also forgot UV :hail:

A few names that have been very special in this journey so far: #Tendullkar: Modern Indian cricket stands on a foundation called Tendulkar. He started playing with the likes of Dev, Sunny, Chris. He today plays with the likes of Ojha and Vijay. All throughout, from days of weakness to the days of no1, he stands tall and he continues to be the best in the world.The man'c contributions to this Indian team is so immense that it's truly immeasurable. He is the single largest contributor to this Indian team. # Ganguly: He is retired, but his contribution to Indian cricket has been instrumental in building this team. He took over when we were hitting rock bottom and built a team out of shattered players and built hope for us fans. And he instilled characters in our team that were never seen before. We learned a few things about aggression, necessary arrogance and a hunger to win. We owe that man more than we imagine. # Dhoni: He took over from Ganguly and took the team to an entirely new level. His move to let the older ones go from ODIs was a master stroke. It paid in both formats. The man is a go getter and he made his team a go getter. This is just the beginning. Dhoni and team India will see a lot more together. #Kumble: In the late 90s team India consisted of two players: Sachin and Kumble. One scored the runs and one took the wickets. in 1998 we became the strongest ODI team because of these two players. Like Sachin did in batting, Kumble shouldered all the bowling responsibilities for team India. He belonged to the old school of cricketers, but his aggression, determination and relentless attack was hair(not that stupid umpire) raising.

#Dravid: The silent warrior. He does everything silently, never asks for credit, but he has withered some of the toughest storms Indian cricket has faced. He taught us and the world how you stand firm and erect when things are not going your way. He was the wall and his intensity spread and unconsciously the Indian team learned a few of his characteristics from him. A team can not be a champion team without the qualities our team has learned from Dravid. #Srinath: The lone soldier who took over from a legend called Dev. The special thing about Sree was his growth in isolation. There was no one to guide him, tell him small things, rectify his problems. He learned and he grew on his own. But when his turn came, he passed his valuable wealth of knowledge and experience to the likes of ZAK.

India's problem has always been picking 20 wickets. Indian batting has always been strong. So improvement in the bowling department is the key reason for this achievement. It is not the world beating bowling by any stretch of imagination. But when the batters put up a decent total they give a honest effort and win match for you. 1) Kumble 2) Zaheer 3) Bhajji and the newbies 1) Sreesanth 2) Ishanth 3) RP 4) Mishra 5) Munaf and occasionally 1) Irfan

Just to add a note about Kumble DK, I dont think the 90s tag to his description should stay there. The man is a rock - an absolute machine when it comes to bowling for his country. I cannot think of any other person who'd go out and bowl with as much fire and passion with a fractured jaw. What Tendulkar is to Indian batting, Kumble is to Indian bowling. Anyone who thinks that's hyperbole can take a hike.

:cantstop: Lets not get carried away Prof.
:hmmm: ? Before Gavaskar debuted we had some good and some great players but were never able to win on a half consistent basis. Gavaskar's batting at the top of the order against the best changed that entirely. And before Kapil, we used to open our bowling with Gavaskar at times - spinners can win you matches but can never get you respect. Kapil was a revolutionary for the Indian cricket team - we are yet to win a WC after him.
:hmmm: ? Before Gavaskar debuted we had some good and some great players but were never able to win on a half consistent basis. Gavaskar's batting at the top of the order against the best changed that entirely. And before Kapil, we used to open our bowling with Gavaskar at times - spinners can win you matches but can never get you respect. Kapil was a revolutionary for the Indian cricket team - we are yet to win a WC after him.
I'm not denying their contribution to Indian team they played for...certainly they lent a measure(and more) of respectability to our performances in that era. But their contribution stops when they retire doesn't it? Not like they were involved in coaching or in Kapil's case successful stints at coaching. And when they left the scene there was a prolonged period during which Indian cricket was mediocre..so I don't understand whats their contribution to this particular achievement? I could have understood if, say the team under Azhar achieved something like this..but the the first steps of this achievement(arguably 2000-01 home series vs Aus) happened well after they left the scene.
I'm not denying their contribution to Indian team they played for...certainly they lent a measure(and more) of respectability to our performances in that era. But their contribution stops when they retire doesn't it? Not like they were involved in coaching or in Kapil's case successful stints at coaching. And when they left the scene there was a prolonged period during which Indian cricket was mediocre..so I don't understand whats their contribution to this particular achievement? I could have understood if, say the team under Azhar achieved something like this..but the the first steps of this achievement(arguably 2000-01 home series vs Aus) happened well after they left the scene.
I don't think their contribution stops when they retire - the team culture which is developed continues on. How can you deny that Kapil changed the entire notion about a country which cannot produce fast bowlers to the point where even at home most of our recent wins are because of fast bowlers. Or how Gavaskar continues to be an inspiration for anyone holding a cricket bat in India even today?