The irony of it all

cowboysfan

I don't think anyone can argue that T20s are not more popular than Tests at the moment (in terms of fan following), however it seems a lot of people have digressed from the OP. Regardless of the fan following, administrators should ensure that teams play a reasonable (I'd say at least 8-10) test matches per year. What the fans like changes over time. T20s are popular and exciting because its a new format (new things always provoke interest) and it appeals to non-cricket fans who don't have time to attend 5 days of Tests. The same thing happened with ODI cricket when it first started, but over time it settled and Tests did not die out (as people were predicting then, just like some people are predicting now). As far as the players, coaches, commentators and former players are concerned, Test cricket is the highest form of the game. Its no doubt the most challenging (mentally and physically) and is the most prestigious, and as a result needs to be valued by playing an appropriate amount of matches throughout the year, if the country's administrators are serious about becoming the best cricketing nation in the world. Note, I am not devaluing T20. Its necessary to generate more money and bring cricket to new areas of the world. However, when it comes to being recognised as the best team in the world, its ultimately your performance in Test cricket that counts, regardless of the crowds.

Shwetabh, when and where was the last time you watched a test match LIVE ? Please just answer the question and nothing else.
Bhaiyya, I have lived in Amreeka for 10+ years now - the hotbed of test cricket. Anyhow this was the last test I watched : http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63726.html and this the last FC match : http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/78/78431.html
I don't think anyone can argue that T20s are not more popular than Tests at the moment (in terms of fan following), however it seems a lot of people have digressed from the OP. Regardless of the fan following, administrators should ensure that teams play a reasonable (I'd say at least 8-10) test matches per year. What the fans like changes over time. T20s are popular and exciting because its a new format (new things always provoke interest) and it appeals to non-cricket fans who don't have time to attend 5 days of Tests. The same thing happened with ODI cricket when it first started, but over time it settled and Tests did not die out (as people were predicting then, just like some people are predicting now). As far as the players, coaches, commentators and former players are concerned, Test cricket is the highest form of the game. Its no doubt the most challenging (mentally and physically) and is the most prestigious, and as a result needs to be valued by playing an appropriate amount of matches throughout the year, if the country's administrators are serious about becoming the best cricketing nation in the world. Note, I am not devaluing T20. Its necessary to generate more money and bring cricket to new areas of the world. However, when it comes to being recognised as the best team in the world, its ultimately your performance in Test cricket that counts, regardless of the crowds.
thank you.i have similar sentiments.my main gripe is that as long as we are playing international T20s then we have to approach it with the same professionalism that we do with other formats.It pains me watch this team in t20s with bowlers bowling utter trash and the team as a whole playing without a plan.If the players cant take the t20s seriously then they are doing a disservice to a lot of fans and they should stop playing them.
thank you.i have similar sentiments.my main gripe is that as long as we are playing international T20s then we have to approach it with the same professionalism that we do with other formats.It pains me watch this team in t20s with bowlers bowling utter trash and the team as a whole playing without a plan.If the players cant take the t20s seriously then they are doing a disservice to a lot of fans and they should stop playing them.
Speak for yourself. Zaheer Khan, Ishant and other Indian players got injured when they played T20 games so did Sehwag. All were shoulder injuries that meant they were out for a few weeks to months. With the amount of ODI/T20 cricket already on the schedule plus IPL you think all the senior players including SRT should be taking T20s seriously and play in those games? Please, don't be so melodramatic. I always find it hilarious when people spend countless hours, posting thousands of messages on an internet message board tell dedicated professional athletes like SRT, Z Khan etc that they should take T20 games totally seriously. Players have been talking about burnout and getting less and less time to spend with their family at home and here's cowboy's fans from Texas telling us that NO, forget your kids, family responsibilities, charities that you run, YOU MUST TOTALLY COMMIT TO PLAYING ALL FORMATS OF CRICKET!!! Your post is even MORE hilarious when you consider the complete flat tracks and small grounds where T20 matches are played in India. We've got dedicated bowlers like Nehra who's spent years in hell just trying to get back to physical condition to even bowl, we've got guys like Ishant who are told to concentrate on becoming better Test bowlers and improve their pace >>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >> >>Just so they can bowl 4 overs in a match where everything is in favor of the batsmen and they can be slogged and smashed around for boundaries. Yeah, I'm sure that's what guys like Ishant/Nehra dreamed about as a kid growing up. Ishant/Nehra: "I'm going to grow up to be the best bowler that I can, work countless hours, weeks, months, years to hone my body and form so that I can bowl for the Indian team . . . . . in a T20 format for 4 meaningless, pathetic overs where my bowling is designed to just be like a lamb to the slaughter for the batsmen!" You're a complete and utter clown.

There's a reason why SRT/Z Khan and other seniors skip T20s and don't take them seriously. It's because these guys realize it's just a joke, a pure entertainment spectacle designed to bring in the most amount of money in the least amount of time. That's why most of our seniors don't make themselves available, and that's why no cricket body in the world takes T20 cricket as seriously as ODI/Test match cricket. If you don't like it then you can cry all you want because all the whining and crying in the world isn't going to change the fact that T20 cricket is a poor, diluted, mindless form of cricket targetted towards the most mindless and brainless cricket fans in big market economies like the States because they're largely too stupid to understand the finer points of the longer format.

No team is going to take these odd T20s that precede ODIs or Tests seriously. It is nothing but glorified nets. They will just have some fun and come back. Teams like Australia don't even take world T20 seriously let alone these odd games. I understand where they come from. This is why India should play a complete rookie team like under-19, under-21 to play for T20 games. India sent one of the rookiest team to 2007 world cup. Nobody gave them any chance. They surprised us with couple of great individual performances. Keep sending some young teams with no fear. They will have some fun and might surprise us. Experienced players are never going to take T20 seriously that too after reaching the pinnacle of Test cricket and briefly reaching the pinnacle of ODI cricket. That is the way it is going to be. Not just India. All teams may be with an exception of a team that has full of low attention span players.

Show me his performance for India!!
Dhoni hasn't really shone in T20s, but he has been superb in ODIs and Tests, so we can look past that. Don't know why his form hasn't translated in this slogfest, maybe he is too comfortable in his new batting strategy to knocking it around for a while and then hit out, he can't quickly change his game back to his old school batting
Show me his performance for India!!
Twenty20 Mat Inns Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s 57 54 1444 101* 33.58 1096 131.75 1 7 126 63 Not thaaaaat great ! Per definitely a guy with potential. He avgs better than most in our team. And whats wrong with you people.. he played match saving innings for us in T20 '07 ! Haan haan HHAAAANNNNNN ! :sniffle:
Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Twenty20 57 54 11 1444 101* 33.58 1096 131.75 1 7 126 63 Not thaaaaat great ! Per definitely a guy with potential. He avgs better than most in our team. And whats wrong with you people.. he played match saving innings for us in T20 '07 ! Haan haan HHAAAANNNNNN ! :sniffle:
I said. For India. Not any domestic performance!! And u are talking abt a knock he played 2 years back?? Oh yes till 2008 he was one of the best young players!! But not now!!