The irony of it all

cowboysfan

Assume India has no T20s at all for the next 2 years. Do you think people will go mad about that like they do with Tests? They watch it because it is there. It reminds me of south indian film producer saying "We need to have couple of rain song sequence because that is what people want". The truth is nobody is going to cry because there is no rain songs. Australia, England, New zealand everywhere crowd will be more for T20. Because it is short. With dancing girls, music, razzmatazz it is like a picnic for lot of people. That's all it is. Not a serious form of cricket. It is closer to a reality show more than anything else. People do watch reality shows.
Moreover, the audience base for test cricket is an unflinching one. Before there was T20, a lot of people preferred ODIs to tests. But after the advent of T20s all the shift to T20 as the preferred format happened from ODIs. I cannot think of a single person whose first preference was tests making T20 his preferred format, whereas there is no shortage of people who deserted ODIs for T20s. The same people will also be happy moving on to T10s or F5s if such a format is introduced. The support base for tests might not be as big as T20 but is one of the most secure ones. T20 support base will have to guard against all kinds of incursions like the latest item number by Mallika Sherawat.

Very perceptive point, Outsider - T20 cricket is indeed competing in the market for limited overs cricket and to some extent entertainment. Test fans are more a captive market - we Test fans are not going to be abandoning it, even despite Lalit Modi's best efforts to sideline the most glorious form of the game.

Moreover' date=' the audience base for test cricket is an unflinching one. Before there was T20, a lot of people preferred ODIs to tests. But after the advent of T20s all the shift to T20 as the preferred format happened from ODIs. I cannot think of a single person whose first preference was tests making T20 his preferred format, whereas there is no shortage of people who deserted ODIs for T20s. The same people will also be happy moving on to T10s or F5s if such a format is introduced. The support base for tests might not be as big as T20 but is one of the most secure ones. T20 support base will have to guard against all kinds of incursions like the [b']latest item number by Mallika Sherawat.
Link :orderorder:
Assume India has no T20s at all for the next 2 years. Do you think people will go mad about that like they do with Tests? They watch it because it is there. It reminds me of south indian film producer saying "We need to have couple of rain song sequence because that is what people want". The truth is nobody is going to cry because there is no rain songs. Australia, England, New zealand everywhere crowd will be more for T20. Because it is short. With dancing girls, music, razzmatazz it is like a picnic for lot of people. That's all it is. Not a serious form of cricket. It is closer to a reality show more than anything else. People do watch reality shows.
Moreover' date=' the audience base for test cricket is an unflinching one. Before there was T20, a lot of people preferred ODIs to tests. But after the advent of T20s all the shift to T20 as the preferred format happened from ODIs. I cannot think of a single person whose first preference was tests making T20 his preferred format, whereas there is no shortage of people who deserted ODIs for T20s. The same people will also be happy moving on to T10s or F5s if such a format is introduced. The support base for tests might not be as big as T20 but is one of the most secure ones. T20 support base will have to guard against all kinds of incursions like the latest item number by Mallika Sherawat.[/quote'] So what's your point? How does that change the fact that t20s and ODIs are more popular than Test Cricket? The whole argument is which format is more popular. You guys are posting offshoots by glorifying Test Cricket. The argument is not which format is better or more pure but which one is most popular.
So what's your point? How does that change the fact that t20s and ODIs are more popular than Test Cricket? The whole argument is which format is more popular. You guys are posting offshoots by glorifying Test Cricket. The argument is not which format is better or more pure but which one is most popular.
I've never argued T20 is less popular than tests amongst the masses. My points have been pretty clear : 1. The players prefer tests over T20s 2. The audience for tests is still substantial and very stable 3. Tests have infinitely higher quality cricket than T20 4. The mass popularity of something cannot be used as a sole barometer to measure it's inherent quality 5. IPL and BCCI are encroaching upon high quality cricket more than they should.
So what's your point? How does that change the fact that t20s and ODIs are more popular than Test Cricket? The whole argument is which format is more popular. You guys are posting offshoots by glorifying Test Cricket. The argument is not which format is better but which one is most popular.
Don't club T20 with ODIs. ODis are there for 35 years. It could not decrease the tests. If anything in 2000s we played more tests than in the 90s.

i will like this to be my final post in this thread.If the players think international T20s are not worth their best effort then its perfectly ok with me(i can do well with just tests and ODIs),they should just let the people know that its a glorified exhibition match so that they can spend their 3 hours elsewhere .my question is were they really trying in the world cup in England?.should we just not watch the world cup in the west indies because we know these guys dont give a crap anyway as some of you contend?.this whole thing is highly disingenuous to me .

Shwetabh, when and where was the last time you watched a test match LIVE ? Please just answer the question and nothing else.
Sree India, I've not watched any match, test or ODI ot T20 on ground. Does that mean I don't like cricket, or cricket is less popular?
Bhaiyya, I have lived in Amreeka for 10+ years now - the hotbed of test cricket. Anyhow this was the last test I watched : http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63726.html and this the last FC match : http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/78/78431.html
I have only briefly skimmed through the responses but the ones about test cricket more enjoyable caught my attention. Recently, I had the opportunity to watch Australia play West Indies at the Adelaide oval. From a fans perspective, the experience was forgettable at best - Factor into consideration, the ticket prices, poor seating allocations, overpriced food, heavy handed security amongst others, the match was void of any real enjoyment. Watching a test match live is not as enjoyable as it is made out.
i will like this to be my final post in this thread.If the players think international T20s are not worth their best effort then its perfectly ok with me(i can do well with just tests and ODIs)' date='they should just let the people know that its a glorified exhibition match so that they can spend their 3 hours elsewhere .my question is were they really trying in the world cup in England?.should we just not watch the world cup in the west indies because we know these guys dont give a crap anyway as some of you contend?.this whole thing is highly disingenuous to me .[/quote'] C'mon its not like they don't care at all. Dhoni sure did care, a lot when he was celebrating the win in 2007 WC. He just got pwnd by Sanga yesterday, after he pwnd them in Tests to become the No.1 team, so he retaliated by saying he doesn't care about T20 but I don't think he meant that..or else he wouldn't have played. Also this thread is now about the most badass superhero ever. The ARM FALL OFF BOY Armfalloffboy.jpg
I have only briefly skimmed through the responses but the ones about test cricket more enjoyable caught my attention. Recently, I had the opportunity to watch Australia play West Indies at the Adelaide oval. From a fans perspective, the experience was forgettable at best - Factor into consideration, the ticket prices, poor seating allocations, overpriced food, heavy handed security amongst others, the match was void of any real enjoyment. Watching a test match live is not as enjoyable as it is made out.
Dude it's so good. Just sit back on the hill and drink beer and if you get bored you can just hit beach balls around or start mexican waves. Nothing beats a day at the cricket.
i will like this to be my final post in this thread.If the players think international T20s are not worth their best effort then its perfectly ok with me(i can do well with just tests and ODIs)' date='[b']they should just let the people know that its a glorified exhibition match so that they can spend their 3 hours elsewhere .my question is were they really trying in the world cup in England?.should we just not watch the world cup in the west indies because we know these guys dont give a crap anyway as some of you contend?.this whole thing is highly disingenuous to me .
Uh, hello, where have you been for the last few years? Hiding under a rock? Steyn: "the IPL was only four overs a game and it was like a paid holiday; you only had to work hard if you felt like it, which is probably why we finished second-last." (Steyn later rescinded his comments and apologized only after tremendous backlash) Dhoni has mentioned many times that T20 was treated like a warm up game. Players routinely opt out of T20 matches. Seriously, what else do the players need to do? Maybe if the likes of SRT, Khan and other superstars who routinely opt out of T20 need to show up at your door and sing a combined chorus of "We don't give a **** about T20s?"
Uh, hello, where have you been for the last few years? Hiding under a rock? Steyn: "the IPL was only four overs a game and it was like a paid holiday; you only had to work hard if you felt like it, which is probably why we finished second-last." (Steyn later rescinded his comments and apologized only after tremendous backlash) Dhoni has mentioned many times that T20 was treated like a warm up game. Players routinely opt out of T20 matches. Seriously, what else do the players need to do? Maybe if the likes of SRT, Khan and other superstars who routinely opt out of T20 need to show up at your door and sing a combined chorus of "We don't give a **** about T20s?"
i dont think anybody apart from Dhoni has said that about international T20s.IPL they can say that.SRT opted out of T20 not because he didnt take it seriously,but bcoz he thought that it was a young man's game n he didnt fit in.Zak i think was rested by selectors in first T20 but played in this years WC even Dhoni has said it both times after losing,if he said it before its acceptable,but after losing,it'll only come out as lame excuse
i dont think anybody apart from Dhoni has said that about international T20s.IPL they can say that.SRT opted out of T20 not because he didnt take it seriously,but bcoz he thought that it was a young man's game n he didnt fit in.Zak i think was rested by selectors in first T20 but played in this years WC even Dhoni has said it both times after losing,if he said it before its acceptable,but after losing,it'll only come out as lame excuse
ODI is a young man's game but that doesn't stop SRT playing does it? And Z Khan does still opt out of T20 matches, so what point are you actually trying to make? Are you saying that players regard T20 as important as Tests?
ODI is a young man's game but that doesn't stop SRT playing does it? And Z Khan does still opt out of T20 matches' date=' so what point are you actually trying to make?[/quote'] ODIs still have still room for experienced cricketers,because experience is needed there.in T20s though,experience counts for very little.u need fresh legs,good fielders,n allrounders. wen did Z.KHAN opt out of T20s,can u provide a source?
Are you saying that players regard T20 as important as Tests?
no,but they dont consider them as warmups either.they treat it as another game where they have to give thier best.Why do u think Dhoni apologised to the nation after India knocked out of T20WC if he didnt care?