NRI Money in India

Rajiv

I was chatting amongst some Punjabi friends today ( all but 1 NOT born in Canada ). It all started when one of the guys said there were lotta robberies in his village in Punjab and how they have so many kothis with ppl putting up their city name besides the name plate ( City Name: Birmingham, Alabama or Manchester UK ) I was like its obvious there will be robberies as no one is there! everyone is like in US, UK, Canada which seemed to crack them up as it was so true, almost everyone in punjab as some relation in one of the countries above. We were then discussing how ppl live so comfortably there due the foreign money Similarly, the same can be seen in Gujaratis - almost everyone has some relation in US ( mainly NY, NJ ) and how they get foreign money too So typically when we talk about NRI money/investment in India, is it mainly these 2? South would be 3rd in the list I guess but u never get to hear anything abt UP, Bengal Also, would it be safe to consider that amongst all states UP would be the biggest state in India with the least # of NRI's

There are lots of successful Punjabi and Gujju businessmen in US/Canada and it is fair to say they are a big majority among desi businessmen. But there is other whole academics-MS/PhD. crowd (think H1-B) and medical doctors in which south Indians are easily a majority. But maybe they don't like to spend so blatantly the money sent to India. In Punjab people go crazy and very OTT with it though.

There are lots of successful Punjabi and Gujju businessmen in US/Canada and it is fair to say they are a big majority among desi businessmen. But there is other whole academics-MS/PhD. crowd (think H1-B) and medical doctors in which south Indians are easily a majority. But maybe they don't like to spend so blatantly the money sent to India. In Punjab people go crazy and very OTT with it though.
Agreed. While it may be a generalization, Northies do spend more than Southies, and the % of familes that are in business is more for Punjabis/Gujjus (whether in North America or India)