Australia vs Pakistan in Australia, 2009-10

iHammad

I seriously think Ponting has underestimated Pakistan's batting strength. That fellow Umar Akmal' date=' like his big brother, is completely nerveless, and I can see a repeat of the 180 run partnership a la Duminy & Steyn that took the match out of Australia's grasp at the same venue.[/quote'] Can you list how many times Pakistan has crossed 400 in Australia in their history :winky:

I think they lasted this long because they did not go out play all the shots we are normally used to seeing them play. There have been some brief periods of stroke play, followed by long lulls. Number of overs dont matter, as there is ample time for Australia to force a result. The score card only reads 220, not even good enough to avoid a follow on. I'd say a typical performance by Pakistani batsmen.

I think they lasted this long because they did not go out play all the shots we are normally used to seeing them play. There have been some brief periods of stroke play, followed by long lulls. Number of overs dont matter, as there is ample time for Australia to force a result. The score card only reads 220, not even good enough to avoid a follow on. I'd say a typical performance by Pakistani batsmen.
They could afford to play a bit defensive because of the easy surface. If there is little bit swing/seam with quality bowling, they all go swinging as none of them has good technique to survive.

Well Kabira, had Australia batted more, they won't have consumed more time also and then instead of pakistan getting bowled on day 3, things might have been different and pakistan might have gotten all out during first session of day 4, which would have increased draw's chances. Aus were not batting with a great run rate. So all in all. It was good, gutsy decision.

^well if they had batted more, pitch would have deteriorated more. They probably would have batted tomorrow or last hour today, but again they would have had 300 runs lead, so they would have need 150 runs, that they could have scord in 2 session and give Pakis 4 sessions. I think it still be same. Pakis have to bat out 4 sessions. I don't see Ponting declaring before 450.

thats were they lost it. To beat Aussies, you need to attack, Defend Defend and Defend is not good idea. Thats how we have beaten Aussies, thats how England manage to beat them, thats how Windies put them under pressure. You should not allow their bowlers to be on top.

Now it looks not so great decision. They were top in 1st innings and could have sealed the fate then and there had they scored 100 more runs. Right now they are bit under pressure, still on top, but not safe.
You nervous, Kabira? Australia have Pakistan in the slammer. By close of play tomorrow, the match will be nearly over. Maybe, we'll make it to lunch on day 5. This match is dead & buried and West Indies can just start pointing fingers and feeling better about themselves at the show they put up.

Lately, it's been more about Ponting's frailty than about the bowlers. First Ishant, then Roach, and now a couple of dismissals to Asif & Aamer, which suggest that the mind that helped him built great innings back to back with inexorable consistency is on the blink. Statistically the greatest batsman of this decade averages only 42.8 in the last three years. Father time with his sickle, scything away.