The Australian obsession with centuries is sickening

Agreed his innings in the '90s was slow and dreary but that didn't significantly negate the teams momentum, did it ? The finished the day ahead, albeit slightly, and now look in a comfortable position to take a 1 - 0 load. Push, prod and poke he did, not by choice, but by circumstance. Charsif was bowling wide of the stumps over after over and there was no way he was going to chase a wide one in the 90's, not after missing twice in the series. He is no good against spin either, hence spent waiting for the bad ball. Look, don't get me wrong, I don't think he should have slowed down to the extent he did, and you and others are right in saying his actions were selfish but I feel with the led Australia had at that stage, the time left in the match to force a result and the fragility of Pakistan's batting, there was enough leeway for him to take his time and score his maiden century.
Your one line says it all.....he wasn't going to chase a wide one in the 90s (how ironic that he finally did on 99, only for the retarded PAK fielder to drop a sitter), and that's precisely the point. 60+ minutes....what would have happened if Kami and Umar dug in today? That's like taking 15 overs away from the bowlers....the Aussies would have to grab 7 wickets in 75 overs, and you never know about weather. Watson's great at going over the top.....why didn't he ? If he didn't want to, switch to a middle stump guard, or even an off stump guard. When England toured India in 2001 Hussain decided to test Tendulkar. He employed 8-1, 7-2 fields on the offside and then got Hoggard to bowl outside off, over after over. Tendulkar played it their way for a while, reaching 27 off 89 balls. Then he switched to an off stump guard, and exploded. His hundred came off only 184 deliveries. Watson is no Tendulkar, but hey, he should have tried to do SOMETHING. I do agree that there was SOME leeway, but not enough to justify what he was doing out there. Ponting prolly should have declared him on 91* (where he stayed for 20 minutes), but when he thought of how Twatson would break down emotionally and never be able to play cricket again he had to reconsider.

Ummm.. What's wrong with the whole crowd standing up for someone who is about to get a century? Do they have to sit down and be boring to satisfy you ? Hmm very interesting that is! Also, a century is a landmark for the players, they've every right to be happy to get it and dissapointed not to!

Ummm.. What's wrong with the whole crowd standing up for someone who is about to get a century? Do they have to sit down and be boring to satisfy you ? Hmm very interesting that is! Also, a century is a landmark for the players, they've every right to be happy to get it and dissapointed not to!
Exactly tell that to Hayden and co. Who derided Sachin and co for gobbling up tons , claiming they were selfish blah blah. But now the aussies get tons its all good. I think a lot of posters don't get the ironic point of the thread

Lest we forget, :punter: delayed the declaration against Saf in Perth in 2005/06 so that Brad Hodge could get his 200. Hodge took his sweet time getting there, and Saf ended up drawing the test fairly comfortably. But of course, Australians don't play for personal milestones. :giggle:

The day an Indian player comes back to play ONE test match so that he could be the highest run-getter for his nation and still fall short of 2 runs' date=' is the day I will stop criticizing other teams for records and centuries. Savvy ? :eyedance:[/quote'] 3 runs :poink:
Lest we forget, :punter: delayed the declaration against Saf in Perth in 2005/06 so that Brad Hodge could get his 200. Hodge took his sweet time getting there, and Saf ended up drawing the test fairly comfortably. But of course, Australians don't play for personal milestones. :giggle:
oh yeah... they play for their aunt, uncles and maids.... :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
oh yeah... they play for their aunt' date=' uncles and maids.... :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:[/quote'] :hysterical::hysterical: I don't think any Aussie fan on ICF is going to react to your and my points. Tbh, I haven't seen them even replying to support our judgements :--D
I still think youg guys are clutuching at straws here, sure, they like to get personal milestones but to think they put it before winning is ridiculous.. Where do some of you pull such assumptions out of? Your ass ?
You dont understand the irony of the thread. Aussies accuse indians of chasing milestones ala Tyson hayden, thus the irony
I still think youg guys are clutuching at straws here, sure, they like to get personal milestones but to think they put it before winning is ridiculous.. Where do some of you pull such assumptions out of? Your ass ?
The views expressed here are a dig at what hayden said few years ago about the Indians. do you really think Rahul drvaid would prefer to score a 200 even if it means losing the game ? I dont think any player would do that ( maybe lara would draw a game for the record !).
I remember Punter commenting about Lara's 400 as a selfish knock. Though it was true he played for record' date=' Punter will now come across a hypocrite.[/quote'] Lara gave enough time for his bowlers to get 20 wickets but dropping six to seven catches didn't help the cause(he himself dropped one).
The views expressed here are a dig at what hayden said few years ago about the Indians. do you really think Rahul drvaid would prefer to score a 200 even if it means losing the game ? I dont think any player would do that ( maybe lara would draw a game for the record !).
Oh yeah, he had the bowlers who would take 20 wickets in no time. To say that he puts himself before the team is ridiculous. Agreed, he likes to be the center of attraction just like a KP or Freddie but at the end of the day every sportsman wants to win.