Umar Akmal is a potential batting great

Afridi came into the team as a bowler. He was never a batsman in the first place. Kind of like Harbhajan who could just swing the bat and make useful contributions periodically. Comparing U. Akmal (the batsman) with Afridi (the batsman) is an insult to the young man. Even you and I could probably bat better than Afridi.
I can??? yay!! :yay:
mindless slogs & luckily hes connecting most of them now , not a test class batsmen by any stretch . I will rate him once he starts playing authentic cricketing shots , as of now his offside game is almost non existent .
umars played 6 tests scored 1 century and 4 fiftys at an good average of 48.16...that average outside subcontenent flat pitches is very impressive ..what more do u want him to proove?
umars played 6 tests scored 1 century and 4 fiftys at an good average of 48.16...that average outside subcontenent flat pitches is very impressive ..what more do u want him to proove?
prove that he can sustain that avg , once bowlers have worked him out . His technique is not better than his brothers . its easy to get way when you are new with your flaws , so i will be surprised if he dosen struggle in next series against Aus and Eng . who told u pitches outside subcontinenet arent flat ?

At this moment he seems to be hitting everything on the leg side. Also as one of tait's deliveries showed, he looks a little vulnerable to the short balls aimed at his head. But then he has been scoring runs and doing well against good bowling attacks. A few more such knocks and he will gain in confidence , from then on its upto him to have a 8-10 year long career and become a 45+ avg test batsman.

They were not mindless slogs by any stretch - just look at the two straight sixes off Steven Smith - they were brilliant cricket shots straight down the ground. The guy will be a very class limited over player.
no one disagrees with that & I have been saying he wud be a 40+avg player in both the formats , if he can keep his focus , which makes him a very good ODI player & a half decent Test player . Akmal is very good against spin bowling , so yes the sixes against smith wer good(watch maliks hits against spinners , he look world class too) , but compare that to the six he hit of MJ ..it was slog , with his eyes closed ..thats where hes going to struggle !

Easily the brightest young talent in world cricket. Miles ahead of any new comer and got the class of "wana be-great." And why are people here comparing a newcomer with oldie Raina? Raina has been playing for last 5-6 years. I rate Akmal ahead of him anyways. Temperament, shot selection and ease this green lipsstick has shown against quality attacks on quality pitches just goes on to prove that he got all the ingredients to be right up there.

At this moment he seems to be hitting everything on the leg side. Also as one of tait's deliveries showed' date= he looks a little vulnerable to the short balls aimed at his head. But then he has been scoring runs and doing well against good bowling attacks. A few more such knocks and he will gain in confidence , from then on its upto him to have a 8-10 year long career and become a 45+ avg test batsman.
Every batsman in the world would be vulnerable against a Tait delivery aimed at the head in a T20 game
Easily the brightest young talent in world cricket. Miles ahead of any new comer and got the class of "wana be-great." And why are people here comparing a newcomer with oldie Raina? Raina has been playing for last 5-6 years. I rate Akmal ahead of him anyways. Temperament' date= shot selection and ease this green lipsstick has shown against quality attacks on quality pitches just goes on to prove that he got all the ingredients to be right up there.
no so easily.Rohit Sharma,Kohli,Barath,Darren Bravo,Hughes all r in contention
^ Only time will tell or let`s say' date=' the next ICC awards will do. The competition is tough right now[/quote'] It will be Umar Akmal at the ICC, none of the others will get as many opportunities as him- may be Rohit might. The others are on the fringe of the first team and will get an opportunity only if somebody else isnt playing especially Kohli. Umar Akmal on the other hand is a mainstay of the Pak batting now. Can't say much about Barath, Bravo or Hughes.