England's Celebrations.

king2be98

England lately having been pulling off very cagey draws in the last few tests they've played and at the end they start celebrating almost as much as they would if they won. It really annoys me cause I don't think saving a test, even if from the depths of defeat, is cause of celebration. If Pakistan drew a test (very unlikely given the poor batting we have) I wouldn't want my team to celebrate and I wouldn't be celebrating either. I might smile and enjoy it if was a drawn test match like the one against India in Mohali, but even then I wouldn't jump up and down. I am guessing most of you guys wouldn't make too much of a fuss about a drawn Indian Test either, so why do England and Australia in particular (Old Trafford 2005) jump up and down so much?

Thats the beauty of test cricket... A well fought out draw, especially after batting out 4+ sessions, with some of the batsmen (colly, bell) cutting out all the shots at the risk of being called dull batsmen, tailenders surviving 3-4 overs with all 11 players from bowling team, seen in one photo frame and when they finally achieve the goal of denying the opposition the victory and go into the next match with the lead still in tact, its definitely a thing to rejoice and celebrate.. you guys who think T20 is everything (just cos you won it once) and want Afridi to be made test captain based on his T20 exploits wouldnt understand it.. even I dont expect you guys to understand

I opened a sensible thread, yet the first reply I get is yet another bash at Pakistanis without reason. I was making a comment regarding celebrating a test win and this Dinnakar had to come and bash Pakistan. Afterwards you'll claim this is a fair and unbiased forum. The point I was making is, drawing a Test match is no cause for the wild celebrations England have been going with. Yes it's good to see yoru side scrape home with your backs against the wall. But I myself see no cause of celebration if your side in principle comes out equal to the opposition. You could argue that England shouldn't be celebrating at all, as they were totally outplayed in two tests.

LOL' date=' so if a team is certain of losing/drawing a match, a batsman shouldn't celebrate if he hits a 50 or 100, a bowler/team shouldn't celebrate taking a wicket. Wonderful logic.[/quote'] Would you want to raise your bat if you've scored a 100 and your team is about to lose? I wouldn't. Everyone is different I know, some of you guys who cannot speak in a proper way and have to resort to childish insults (Dinnaka) won't understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You can't blame them for celebrating. Pumping fists and jumping up and down is just a release of pressure and to be honest, England's resolve in the Cardiff test and the two tests in RSA has been amazing. The Cardiff test ultimately decided the Ashes and the two escapes here have meant that England cannot lose the series.

I opened a sensible thread, yet the first reply I get is yet another bash at Pakistanis without reason. I was making a comment regarding celebrating a test win and this Dinnakar had to come and bash Pakistan. Afterwards you'll claim this is a fair and unbiased forum. The point I was making is, drawing a Test match is no cause for the wild celebrations England have been going with. Yes it's good to see yoru side scrape home with your backs against the wall. But I myself see no cause of celebration if your side in principle comes out equal to the opposition. You could argue that England shouldn't be celebrating at all, as they were totally outplayed in two tests.
Did you report the post?

Why wouldnt they celebrate? Sometimes, a draw is as important as win. And if your last wicket holds out in the final moments, then its that much more special. This series could have been so much different had South Africa beaten England in the first test, but it didnt happen and look where the series is now. Besides, when a team bats out nearly 150 overs in the 4th innings on days 4 and 5, then thats a tremendous achievement that says a lot about the character of the side. And recently, England as a side have shown a lot of fight and grit.

England lately having been pulling off very cagey draws in the last few tests they've played and at the end they start celebrating almost as much as they would if they won. It really annoys me cause I don't think saving a test, even if from the depths of defeat, is cause of celebration. If Pakistan drew a test (very unlikely given the poor batting we have) I wouldn't want my team to celebrate and I wouldn't be celebrating either. I might smile and enjoy it if was a drawn test match like the one against India in Mohali, but even then I wouldn't jump up and down. I am guessing most of you guys wouldn't make too much of a fuss about a drawn Indian Test either, so why do England and Australia in particular (Old Trafford 2005) jump up and down so much?
I can not understand that part. I think a drawn test match is a very good reason for Pakistan to celebrate given their recent run.
I opened a sensible thread' date=' yet the first reply I get is yet another bash at Pakistanis without reason. I was making a comment regarding celebrating a test win and this [b']Dinnakar had to come and bash Pakistan.
If you have been reading my posts so far, you would know that I dont indulge myself in pak bashing just for the sake of it. Calling my post childish goes to show how childish you are when it comes to understanding the nuances and intricacies of test cricket.. Talk to any cricket fan under the age of 12, they will put T20 and ODIs ahead of tests simply cos they are not old/matured enough to understand test cricket (same applies to me and many of my fellow cricket fans here, who would have loved ODI cricket in their boyhood and later started liking tests when they started understanding it. I can vouch for it). Only when you become old enough to understand the beauty of tests, you'll understand it. You mocking England's celebrations for drawing the test shows that you are still under 12. Also I took the liberty to bash you cos in your OP you had mentioned that, as a pakistan fan, you wouldnt celebrate when your team scrapes through for a draw.. Tell me when was the last time your team batted out atleast 3 sessions for ensuring a draw?
The point I was making is, drawing a Test match is no cause for the wild celebrations England have been going with. Yes it's good to see yoru side scrape home with your backs against the wall. But I myself see no cause of celebration if your side in principle comes out equal to the opposition. You could argue that England shouldn't be celebrating at all, as they were totally outplayed in two tests.
In the test that you are referring to, there was a passage of play when Dale Steyn tormented Collingwood to no end with some excellent test bowling. He bowled 6 high intensity overs and Collingwood was equal to th e task.. At the end, although Steyn was on top for all those 6 overs, the victory went to Colly since he did not lose his wicket. I wouldn't have minded if at the end of it, Collingwood punched the air and raised his bat... You guys who think T20 is everything, would consider Steyn as crap based on his lack of success in that format. There wont be any takers for Colly in T20 due to his lack of stroke making ability. But in test cricket, these two produced some riveting contest for an hour of so.. Thats the greatness of test cricket. If you dont like it, dont watch it.. Atleast dont make a mockery of the game and its players and the celebrations. I say th e same thing to ppl who hate T20 as well... I do like T20 for its own entertainment values and dislike people calling it as circus and batsmen as cow lashers. Coming to the OP - England's celebrations were justified simply because they are heading into the Final test with the fact that they cant lose the series.. :hatsoff: to Colly, Bell, Onions..

Celebrations were perfectly justified, a close game, where they were outplayed throughout, but scrapped through due to the steely resolve of some of their lower middle order batsmen, it also meant that they would'nt loose the Series. @ OP I'll just paint a scenario, had the team you support (Pakistan probably) been 1-0 ahead and had just saved the Second test by 1 wicket in a Three match series and all these against the No.1 Test Team in the World (India), what would be the pattern of your emotions? P.S. The above scenario is a fictitious one and probably may/may not happen in the years of Test Cricket ahead.

@ OP I'll just paint a scenario, had the team you support (Pakistan probably) been 1-0 ahead and had just saved the Second test by 1 wicket in a Three match series and all these against the No.1 Test Team in the World (India), what would be the pattern of your emotions?
I would celebrate the series win, not the individual test itself. I know some of you think that drawing a test may well be cause for celebration, but for me, I don't see it that way. I recall Razzaq and Akmal at Mohali was it '06 or '05 I can't be precise, but they saved the test out of the depth of peril, I was delighted with the result but no one I knew who was watching the game celebrated it with fist pumping and dancing up and down. Maybe it's about the character of a person, some may see a drawn test as a victory, I myself don't, it's why I wouldn't want to celebrate. As for the state of Pakistani cricket right now, I know a drawn test would be a great achievement in these difficult circumstances, but to be honest that's not what the thread is about, it's more about test match draws overall.
Also I took the liberty to bash you cos in your OP you had mentioned that, as a pakistan fan, you wouldnt celebrate when your team scrapes through for a draw.. Tell me when was the last time your team batted out atleast 3 sessions for ensuring a draw? You guys who think T20 is everything, would consider Steyn as crap based on his lack of success in that format. There wont be any takers for Colly in T20 due to his lack of stroke making ability. But in test cricket, these two produced some riveting contest for an hour of so.. Thats the greatness of test cricket. Coming to the OP - England's celebrations were justified simply because they are heading into the Final test with the fact that they cant lose the series.. :hatsoff: to Colly, Bell, Onions..
You're trying to preach to other cricket fans about Test cricket, please understand at no point did I state any preference for any format of the game. I was talking only about Test Match draws, so why do you have to bring another format of the game into it? You're doing it deliberately because you can't make your point without resorting to it. I am bvery happy that Pakistan are and have always been the best T20 team, the stats and win ratio prove it without doubt. But I would have been 100 times happier had we won this Test series in Australia, so why you have to generalise a whole set of fans is beyond me. I like T20 cricket, I hope Pakistan continues to dominate in the format, however I want Pakistan to improve their Test Cricket a lot more than I want any success in T20 cricket. As for your comment regarding 12 yr olds, well I have a younger brother who happens to be 12, he watched the entire final days play and at the end when I asked him the same very question, what do you think of the English celebrations, he said, how can you celebrate when your team got owned. It doesn't mean I'm right or you're right, but I don't think a draw is worthy of celebration unless the end result guarantees a win, like the guy in the previous post suggested.

I haven't watched the match but I feel the circumstances in which they pulled off a draw is worthy of celebration. If its another boring draw, I'm sure they wouldn't have resorted to OTT celebrations but they escaped a sure-shot loss by playing out 4 session would have made them to let out their emotion at the end. A team is always justified as long as they show their true emotions in the field.

@ OP I am pretty sure the celebrations were more from the fact that they couldnt loose the series / has increased the chances of a series win from that position, rather than the Test Match itself. I can cite an instance here, have a look at the following video 7:11 onwards, _NyfHujwj0s The above video is from the First Test of the Ashes last year, identical circumstances, but here the English players arent seen celebrating as much, a reason being it was the just the First Test Match of the Series, a long way for the series to decide the outcome and ofcourse the fact that they were outplayed.