Genius Cricketers!!!

sehwag is no genius either .. he was so woefully short in form and lost his place a few seasons back .. that is why he is mortal like other greats .. but sachin ' date=' lara , mc grath , warne , rhodes .. these guys just stayed the best through out their careers ..[/quote'] Losing his place won't make him any less genius. This guy doesn't need any feet movement murder bowlers. Look how comical our players were against Mendis when this guy took him to the cleaners in the same series. I can show so many instances all these players were mere mortals. You can imitate what Tendulkar does or even Lara does to some extent on the crease. But you cannot imitate what Sehwag does on the crease.
They are acknowledged as greats for the deeds they have achieved in Test cricket. Yes they have good ODI records as well but they are not called great for those.
Tendulkar's ODI game has been intrinsic to his being hailed as the numero uno batsman in the world. When you think back on his career, some of the most important milestones or most memorable events unfolded in the pajama version. Desert storm was ODIs, his being highest scorer in 2 world cups (which is one of his biggest achievements no doubt) etc. In fact, since our team was so poor in 90s, his most famous contributions automatically came into focus in ODIs since his 100 would more often than not win an ODI but a 100 in test may not be enough to even secure a draw due to failure of team-mates around him.
Tendulkar's ODI game has been intrinsic to his being hailed as the numero uno batsman in the world. When you think back on his career' date=' some of the most important milestones or most memorable events unfolded in the pajama version. Desert storm was ODIs, his being highest scorer in 2 world cups (which is one of his biggest achievements no doubt) etc. In fact, since our team was so poor in 90s, his most famous contributions automatically came into focus in ODIs since his 100 would more often than not win an ODI but a 100 in test may not be enough to even secure a draw due to failure of team-mates around him.[/quote'] His World Cup performances in 1996 and 2003 were certainly magnificent, as were those Sharjah innings and his 175 against the Aussies last year (amongst others). All this is true, I am not denying that. But the reason he was considered the best batsman in cricket is because of the way he dominated Test cricket from 1994-95 till about 2003, when he was head and shoulders above every other batsman (including Lara). Even if he had not played a single ODI in that time (even accepting his excellence in the Worlc Cups) he would still have been considered the greatest batsman of that time. As for his winning performances in ODIs in the 90's because of the mediocrity of those around him, again this is true, but Lara played in an even worse Test team for much of his career but one can easily distinguish great players and their brilliance in Test matches even if those around them are poor and end up losing matches. For example I remember his 119 at Edgbaston in 1996, 169 at Cape Town in 1997, century at the MCG in 1999, 136 at Chennai in 1999 far more than most of his ODI hundreds even though these Test hundreds came in losses - all were supreme innings scored in adverse conditions against top class attacks, something few batsmen in the history of the game have done with the regularity SRT has done in Test cricket.
i m not knocking his record at all.he will always be a truly great n awesoome cricketer for me,but not a genius but is he exceptionally gifted?I dont think so.its his approach that makes him cut above the rest,not his talent. no it is important.Lara,Tendulkar average 40+ in ODIs too
For him to have that approach he needs to have exceptional talent, Lord. A Jayasuriya or an Afridi or a Chris Gayle can never hope to reach where he has reached. They all more or less have the same approach. Why the difference in results? It is Sehwag's balance which has stood him in good stead. He is among the stillest batsmen in world cricket when making contact with the cricket ball. And it shows up in the speed at which the ball disappears from the centre of the wicket.
sehwag is no genius either .. he was so woefully short in form and lost his place a few seasons back .. that is why he is mortal like other greats .. but sachin ' date=' lara , mc grath , warne , rhodes .. these guys just stayed the best through out their careers ..[/quote'] May I point out that when he was dropped from the Test squad, he did not actually deserve to be? He was dropped from the Test squad for his ODI performance. Also like I said, when he closes his career I dont think there would be too many complaints about his ODI career statistics. ________ Prilosec Attorneys
Losing his place won't make him any less genius. This guy doesn't need any feet movement murder bowlers. Look how comical our players were against Mendis when this guy took him to the cleaners in the same series. I can show so many instances all these players were mere mortals. You can imitate what Tendulkar does or even Lara does to some extent on the crease. But you cannot imitate what Sehwag does on the crease.
you are getting confused . his batitng mantra is simple "see ball hit ball" .. his scoring lot of runs and quickly is bcos he has a good eye hand coordination , attacking frame of mind .. if we take sachin , lara type of people , they have 4 to 5 different shots for a single delivery .. sehwag does not have does abilities ..
you are getting confused . his batitng mantra is simple "see ball hit ball" .. his scoring lot of runs and quickly is bcos he has a good eye hand coordination , attacking frame of mind .. if we take sachin , lara type of people , they have 4 to 5 different shots for a single delivery .. sehwag does not have does abilities ..
You are serious? Didn't you see how he toyed with lankan bowlers for each changed field set.
Guest DeveGowda
Not for their geniusness' date=' but how I rate them as players[/quote'] But u cannot rate people if they are GENIUSES...there will not be one genius better than other :yay:

I don't think the word Genius should be used for sportsmen, it's an insult in my opinion to the likes of Newton, Edison and Pythagoras who have provided mankind with the most important and valuable thing we can obtain, knowledge. To think that the likes of Akram, Warne or Tendulkar are being considered geniuses, they don't deserve to be on the same level are proper geniuses, men and women who have excelled in the fields of medicine, physics and maths etc. You may think sportsmen have just as much right to be labbeled geniuses, but in my opinion it's an insult to the great human minds of all time.

I don't think the word Genius should be used for sportsmen, it's an insult in my opinion to the likes of Newton, Edison and Pythagoras who have provided mankind with the most important and valuable thing we can obtain, knowledge. To think that the likes of Akram, Warne or Tendulkar are being considered geniuses, they don't deserve to be on the same level are proper geniuses, men and women who have excelled in the fields of medicine, physics and maths etc. You may think sportsmen have just as much right to be labbeled geniuses, but in my opinion it's an insult to the great human minds of all time.
Wrong. Genius-ness is not confined to science and maths only. Just because SRT or BCL didn't do maths doesn't mean they do not have great human minds. BTW, wasn't Mozart a genius? Guess not, unless he had a theory after his name according to you.
Guest DeveGowda
Wrong. Genius-ness is not confined to science and maths only. Just because SRT or BCL didn't do maths doesn't mean they do not have great human minds. BTW' date=' wasn't Mozart a genius? Guess not, unless he had a theory after his name according to you.[/quote']
I like him too :). But for some reason I have never found too many people professing their liking of his commentary.
Says who
Who is better genius ? Newton ? SRT ? Mozart ? Arun lal ? :hysterical: :giggle: :yay: B->
to me genius is as much about having exceptional talent as it is about using that talent n having a magnificent career outta it.in that respect SRT n Lara would qualify as batting geniues,both having the ability to play some unbelievable shots(like SRT driving Warne out of the rough outside legstump to midwicket) n dominating the best of bowlers. McGrath wouldnt qualify as a genius for me due to that reason.he didnt possess exceptional talent wen he started but with his sheer hardwork n pinpoint accuracy,hes troubled the best of batsman.so he would be a truly great but not genius IMO
I think that is harsh... It's not an attack to tendulkar but, you are saying that the man that maked your tendulkar so ordinary so many times is not a genius... and he did this to all batsmen in the world...