Genius Cricketers!!!

A really overused term nowadays for a rare breed. Talking about my lifetime I'd only put gavaskar, Warne, Lara and Tendulkar as genius cricketers. The struggle I feel is differentiating between a great cricketer (e.g sehwag) and a cricketing genius. I confess I can't really define conclusively a genius cricketer. E.g Akram and Warne innovated their bowling arts but at the same time so did Saqi with the doosra. gavaskar played in west indies without helmet. Would be interesting to know how bbc 606 distinguish between greats of the game from a genius.

Guest DeveGowda

We can use word Maverick to Sehwag along with gayle B-> Gilly will also be in genius list. for funnier side Big geniuses are - Shoib , Sami , Agarakar etc... (these people will contribute to opposiiton in even Good Bowling pitches :hysterical: ) Filelding Geniuses - Nehra , Powar , Monty , All pak players ... batting geniuses - chris martin , Indian tail , pak openers (earlier)

to me genius is as much about having exceptional talent as it is about using that talent n having a magnificent career outta it.in that respect SRT n Lara would qualify as batting geniues,both having the ability to play some unbelievable shots(like SRT driving Warne out of the rough outside legstump to midwicket) n dominating the best of bowlers. McGrath wouldnt qualify as a genius for me due to that reason.he didnt possess exceptional talent wen he started but with his sheer hardwork n pinpoint accuracy,hes troubled the best of batsman.so he would be a truly great but not genius IMO

to me genius is as much about having exceptional talent as it is about using that talent n having a magnificent career outta it.in that respect SRT n Lara would qualify as batting geniues,both having the ability to play some unbelievable shots(like SRT driving Warne out of the rough outside legstump to midwicket) n dominating the best of bowlers. McGrath wouldnt qualify as a genius for me due to that reason.he didnt possess exceptional talent wen he started but with his sheer hardwork n pinpoint accuracy,hes troubled the best of batsman.so he would be a truly great but not genius IMO
Agree one hundred percent. Precisely why Dravid is not a genius. Sehwag to me is on the way to being a great. I think he will be hailed not just as a genius but as a phenomenon after he is done with the game. And no his ODI average is not the point. Yes he could do better there. But his ODI average alone is not enough to tarnish his tremendous Test record. ________ THAI GIRL LIVE
Precisely why Dravid is not a genius.
Yep, and I would add Kumble to that list. Similar players all - greats but not geniuses.
But his ODI average alone is not enough to tarnish his tremendous Test record.
ODI record is pretty irrelevant when judging these things - after all no one calls mediocre Test cricketers like Yuvraj Singh or Michael Bevan as greats or geniuses irrespective of what they have done in ODIs.
Agree one hundred percent. Precisely why Dravid is not a genius. Sehwag to me is on the way to being a great. I think he will be hailed not just as a genius but as a phenomenon after he is done with the game. And no his ODI average is not the point. Yes he could do better there. But his ODI average alone is not enough to tarnish his tremendous Test record.
You name was just entered in an encrypted file in Fineleg's computer. Now you will be stalked and attacked at an appropriate time.
You name was just entered in an encrypted file in Fineleg's computer. Now you will be stalked and attacked at an appropriate time.
Oops! I have an immense amount of respect for Dravid's game and for what he has achieved. And no, I am not lying :). When I want to enjoy batting I would watch Lara first, Sachin next. When I want to learn batting I would watch Dravid first, Sachin next. Sehwag for advanced lessons - basically think of him as science fiction :). ________ Park Royal 2 Condo Pattaya
Oops! I have an immense amount of respect for Dravid's game and for what he has achieved. And no, I am not lying :). When I want to enjoy batting I would watch Lara first, Sachin next. When I want to learn batting I would watch Dravid first, Sachin next. Sehwag for advanced lessons - basically think of him as science fiction :).
Killed 4 birds in one shot ??:giggle:
Agree one hundred percent. Precisely why Dravid is not a genius. Sehwag to me is on the way to being a great. I think he will be hailed not just as a genius but as a phenomenon after he is done with the game. And no his ODI average is not the point. Yes he could do better there. But his ODI average alone is not enough to tarnish his tremendous Test record.
i m not knocking his record at all.he will always be a truly great n awesoome cricketer for me,but not a genius but is he exceptionally gifted?I dont think so.its his approach that makes him cut above the rest,not his talent.
ODI record is pretty irrelevant when judging these things - after all no one calls mediocre Test cricketers like Yuvraj Singh or Michael Bevan as greats or geniuses irrespective of what they have done in ODIs.
no it is important.Lara,Tendulkar average 40+ in ODIs too

sehwag is no genius either .. he was so woefully short in form and lost his place a few seasons back .. that is why he is mortal like other greats .. but sachin , lara , mc grath , warne , rhodes .. these guys just stayed the best through out their careers ..